Start by marking “Cinnamon City” as Want to Read:
Cinnamon City

Cinnamon City

Lyrical and evocative, this is a travel book masquerading as the story of the author’s purchase of a very dilapidated property in Marrakech and her attempts to renovate it. Included is the family Christmas from hell in a house with few modern conveniences, and her love affair with all things Moroccan.
Published July 5th 2005 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about Cinnamon City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cinnamon City

Helen
Aug 05, 2016 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story

Another tale of Morocco, Marrakech. I have learned that I haven't even touched the surface of Marrakech and need to explore more! Thank you Miranda for your story. Loved this book.
Ligra Nera
May 14, 2017 Ligra Nera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tai tikra istorija. Daugybė nuotykių, nesusipratimų, keblumų svetimoje šalyje, svetimoje kultūroje. Ne kiekvienas ryžtūsi tokiai avantiūrai (pirkti nusenusius rūmus svetimoje šalyje, su svetimais papročiais, požiūriu, juos iš paskutinių santaupų remontuoti, tikintis ateityje paversti klestinčiu prabangiu viežbučiu.
Visi autorės patirti nuotykiai ir pojučiai alsuoja tenykštės kultūros kvapais, egzotika tokia viliojančia ir galinčia tapti tokia apgaulinga.
Buvo gera ir idomu skaityti.
Peter
Mar 01, 2017 Peter rated it it was ok
Interesting because of the experiences owning a riad in marrakech. However poorly written, much too detailed sometimes and naively complaining of all her OWN mistakes. Same story could have been written in about 100 pages.
Claire Luck
Enjoyable easy read, but if you have a real interest in reading about an expat renovating in Morocco better to read The Caliph's House. Miranda Inness wasn't living in Morocco when she wrote this, and I dont think lives there now, so I don't feel she was as immersed in the culture as other similar authors writing on the same topic. Simple holiday read for anyone who likes Morocco or it's people though.
Noel
Jan 08, 2011 Noel rated it liked it
Shelves: rabck-ed
Very interesting memoir of a woman who decides, on a whim, to buy property in Marrakech, remodel and turn it into a small hotel/B&B. While I enjoyed this book, it rang very similar to The Caliph's House, but the writing is not nearly as crisp nor as culturally satisfying.

Website showcasing the stunning finished product. Makes my mouth water to return to Morocco.
Scott Langston
May 06, 2016 Scott Langston rated it did not like it
I loved the theme and the idea and was genuinely looking forward to discovering Marrakech. However, all too often this felt like reading s list of clichés. I found myself flipping ahead to see when the chapter finished. Characters were two dimensional at best and the narrative was pedestrian and dull. I should have listened to my gut when I saw the Daily Mail Book Club sticker on the cover of this copy. We live and learn.
Anna Marie
Dec 07, 2014 Anna Marie rated it did not like it
Sadly this is not a lyrical or evocative adventure. The narrative lacks any passion of its characters, locations or its people. Despite the author's tenacity and determination in pursuing her dream of renovating a riad in the evocative Marrakech, we are left with a diary- account of how the author financial arrangements helped to realise this dream - and a warning to never to trust a house manager imposed on you!
Claire Elwood
Aug 09, 2011 Claire Elwood rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Quite interesting read and definately get the atmosphere as I have been to Marrakesch, but not a riveting read.
Jean
Sep 24, 2012 Jean rated it liked it
Entertaining at the start but then I got rather irritated with the main narrator so it took me some time to finish this.
Rebecca
May 11, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was ok
It took a while for me to get into this book. Once I had become familiar with the heavily descriptive style I began to enjoy it for what it was and picture the scenes.
Debbie Walker
Jun 06, 2012 Debbie Walker rated it did not like it
I hated this book, not really any insight into the City of Marrakech. Poorly written and not very interesting at all, shame as I was looking forward to it.
Aeren
Feb 21, 2013 Aeren rated it really liked it
I found the book humorous and a bit incredible at times. But it was entertaining.
Sara Cox
Apr 06, 2014 Sara Cox rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I must admit I thought that this book was going to be more about Marrakech. I found it poorly written and it didn't really capture me to carry on reading. I lost interest quite quickly.
Mukhtar
Apr 07, 2011 Mukhtar is currently reading it
I can smell the spices already ;-)
Lach
Lach rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2017
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Afsheen
Afsheen rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2015
Signe
Signe rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2013
Lara
Lara rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Toffeeapple
Toffeeapple rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Egidija
Egidija rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Patrick
Patrick rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2017
Daren
Daren rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2012
Glendalough
Glendalough rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Judy Beyer
Judy Beyer rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2011
Sue Cossins
Enjoyed finding out more about Marrakech
Saskia
Saskia rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
shirley
shirley rated it did not like it
Sep 04, 2009
Kerry Tolson
Kerry Tolson rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2016