Start by marking “Cinnamon City” as Want to Read:
Cinnamon City

Cinnamon City

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Lyrical and evocative, this is a travel book masquerading as the story of the author’s purchase of a very dilapidated property in Marrakech and her attempts to renovate it. Included is the family Christmas from hell in a house with few modern conveniences, and her love affair with all things Moroccan.
Published July 5th 2005 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about Cinnamon City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cinnamon City

Anna Marie
Sadly this is not a lyrical or evocative adventure. The narrative lacks any passion of its characters, locations or its people. Despite the author's tenacity and determination in pursuing her dream of renovating a riad in the evocative Marrakech, we are left with a diary- account of how the author financial arrangements helped to realise this dream - and a warning to never to trust a house manager imposed on you!
Rebecca
It took a while for me to get into this book. Once I had become familiar with the heavily descriptive style I began to enjoy it for what it was and picture the scenes.
Noel
Very interesting memoir of a woman who decides, on a whim, to buy property in Marrakech, remodel and turn it into a small hotel/B&B. While I enjoyed this book, it rang very similar to The Caliph's House, but the writing is not nearly as crisp nor as culturally satisfying.

Website showcasing the stunning finished product. Makes my mouth water to return to Morocco.
Claire Luck
Enjoyable easy read, but if you have a real interest in reading about an expat renovating in Morocco better to read The Caliph's House. Miranda Inness wasn't living in Morocco when she wrote this, and I dont think lives there now, so I don't feel she was as immersed in the culture as other similar authors writing on the same topic. Simple holiday read for anyone who likes Morocco or it's people though.
Debbie Walker
I hated this book, not really any insight into the City of Marrakech. Poorly written and not very interesting at all, shame as I was looking forward to it.
Jean
Entertaining at the start but then I got rather irritated with the main narrator so it took me some time to finish this.
Claire Elwood
Quite interesting read and definately get the atmosphere as I have been to Marrakesch, but not a riveting read.
Aeren
I found the book humorous and a bit incredible at times. But it was entertaining.
Mukhtar
Apr 07, 2011 Mukhtar is currently reading it
I can smell the spices already ;-)
D
D marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Salma Ragheb
Salma Ragheb marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Doriane
Doriane marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Sarah is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2015
Lizana
Lizana marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Med Amine
Med Amine marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Sandra Janušauskaitė
Sandra Janušauskaitė marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Leo
Leo marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Vesna
Vesna marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Una-marie Neary
Una-marie Neary marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Getting To Manana Medieval Flowers Ethnic Style: From Mexico to the Mediterranean Traditional Country Crafts: Dozens of Decorative and Practical Projects, Including Quilts, Baskets, Woodwork, Ceramics and More The Fireplace Book