Unto a Good Land (The Emigrants, #2)

Unto a Good Land (The Emigrants #2)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  909 ratings  ·  42 reviews
This title opens in the summer of 1850 as the emigrants disembark in New York City. Their journey to a new home in Minnesota Territory takes them by riverboat, steam wagon, Great Lakes steamship, and oxcart to Chicago County.
Published September 15th 1995 by Minnesota Historical Society Press (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Unto a Good Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unto a Good Land

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonPippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg LarssonHunger by Knut Hamsun
Best Scandinavian and Nordic Literature
96th out of 639 books — 716 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellA Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensThe Pillars of the Earth by Ken FollettThe Help by Kathryn Stockett
Recommended Historical Fiction
325th out of 1,614 books — 1,661 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristine
This second of Moberg's four book series on 19th century emigration from Sweden to Minnesota continues to be fascinating. The author follows various characters, among them illiterate or barely literate peasants from Smaland who have left Sweden and traveled in 1850 to America to settle.

Early on in this Volume (2), Karl Oskar (a key figure), Kristina, Robert, Arvid, Danjel, Ulrika,and the others are caught in red tape in the harbor of New York for a few days before they undertake the slow westw...more
Mikael
In the second novel in the Emigrants quartet, the Swedish settlers finally arrive in New York, finding that they still have a long way to travel before they reach the Minnesota Territory, where they are to stake their land claims and start a new life. When they get there, the land is beyond their wildest dreams, but the amount of hardship they have to suffer in order to establish themselves borders on the nightmarish.

Like its predecessor, Unto a New Land is a master class in storytelling and his...more
Melody
This was an excellent book. One person called it a documentary novel. I have read a lot of books about immigrants and early settlers but I was struck in this book by how language played such a pivotal role in the settlers ability to move across the ocean, the land, and through the towns. It was interesting to see how their preconceptions changed to new erroneous impressions in their first year inAmerica. Impressions formed by what they saw, experienced, were told by others and by their imaginati...more
Tanja Berg
Bok nummer två om Karl Oskar och Kristina, som utvandrade från Sverige med sina barn för att få ett bättre liv. De har kommit till New York och sätter sig ut på resan till Minnesota, där de ska slå sig ner. Det är en lång väg, men till sist kommer de fram och slår sig ned på en ödslig plats bredvid en sjö. Karl Oskar är övertygad om att framtiden ser ljus ut, men Kristina har hemlängtan.

Det är otroligt att tänka sig att bara 160 år gått sedan det var så svårt att hålla sig i livet, hålla svälte...more
Richard Schick
Book two of the series follows the families from New York to Minnesota and documents their first winter . Having arrived too late to get crops in the field and with barely enough time to construct adequate shelter, times are rough. The language barrier and poverty add to the obstacles.
Connie
While I did not enjoy the first book in this series because I found it to be plodding, dark and depressing, I decided to continue with the series.

I really enjoyed the second book, Unto a Good Land. This title deals with the settlers first year in America and specifically Minnesota.

I know realize that life in Sweden for these emigrants must have been plodding, dark, depressing and probably hopeless. It is certainly clear why the Swedes were willing to suffer great risk and discomfort to escape S...more
Nancy
I continue to be enthralled by stories of early settlers from Sweden in Minnesota. Finding the place names on today's maps only makes their lives seem more real. They make it through that first winter, though barely, as they arrived when it was long past time to plant and harvest. I can't wait to continue the saga to find out the rest of the story.
Laurie
Another book I regularly re-read. In this volume Karl Oscar begins in earnest his new life in the wilderness of territorial Minnesota. The book begins with the family's arrival in the New York of 1850 and the long and fairly arduous journey to Chisago Lake. The triumph Karl Oscar feels when he pushes his stick into the ground and finds NO ROCKS is quite palpable. (If you ever visit Kronoberg in Sweden and see the heart-breaking fields full of huge erratics pushed to one side to enable a bit of p...more
Janelle
I cannot rave enough about The Emigrant Series, by Vilhelm Moberg. Unto a Good Land is book 2 of 4. Moberg is a Swedish writer who published the first volume in 1949; the others quickly followed. They chronicle a group of Swedes immigrating to the U.S. (Minnesota).

I find the narrative storyline to be compelling - I always want to know what will happen next with this cast of characters struggling to better their lives. I find the writing to be reminiscent of Steinbeck - lyrically descriptive, of...more
Loved these 4 books. The writing by Vilhelm Moberg was impeccable. If you have ancestors that immigrated these books can help put some of what they may have gone through into perspective.
Pat Tucker
I really liked this book, the second out of four, in the Emigrant series. It takes place in 1850 when Karl Oskar and Kristina Nilsson and their children and other immigrants arrive in NYC from Sweden. They journey to the Minnesota Territory and claim 160 acres. I thought a lot about my own ancestry--my grandfather who came from Germany and my great grandparents who came from Scotland. How did they feel? What was hard about their move? Did they ever see parents and siblings again? And so on. The...more
Kaijsa
Five stars for the following reasons: The writing is excellent and the story is very real. I have ancestors from Smalland, Sweden and others who actually made this journey so the family connection makes this book that much more interesting, insightful, meaningful, etc. for me. No vampires or magic or strange societies, but lots of real life: husbands and wives, babies, friends, struggles to survive. Plenty to laugh at, plenty to cry at, all wonderfully told. Can't wait for the library to buy me...more
Katherine
Second in the series about the Nillson's quest to settle in Minnesota in the 1850's. Moberg did a great job of writing in a language and style that are approachable 50 years later (or maybe his translator did, as it was originally written in Swedish). Book 2 finds the family at their destination, but they must pick their plot of land, build their house and live through a winter with no prior harvest. I liked this book as much as the first and look forward to reading the rest of the series (hint...more
This is the second book in the Emigrant novels series. They finally make it to Minnesota and settle very near to my hometown, so it is neat to hear what life was like for people in the area in 1850. These novels are really heavy in religion, but that was their life back then, so I think it is realistic.
Kathy Marler
Aug 23, 2008 Kathy Marler rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Swedish-American ancestry
A second in the series for Vilhelm Moberg, the Nilsson family arrive in America, travel to Minnesota and begin their new life. Great understanding of the life of those who have ever been in a country where the language and customs are not understood.
Johanna
Slightly less engaging than the first book in the series, but good none the less. Certainly the books are making me think differently (and much more inquisitively) about Minnesota's Swedish settlers and my own Swedish ancestors.
Karin
I love this series by Vilhelm Moberg about a group of Swedish immigrants that came to Minnesota in the 1850s. I can relate to their stories although their struggles in Minnesota have been far greater than mine.
Fritzov
Karl-Oskar bosätter sig och livet går vidare, men inte heller i Amerika går de fria från svälten. Livet är hårt som "settler"

Att lyssna på utvandrar serien som ljudbok är en fröjd för örat.
Mary Chambers
Historical fiction is my favorite genre. Emigrants is one of my favorite subjects. So it stands to reason that I would love UNTO A GOOD LAND, 2nd in the EMIGRANTS series, by Vilhelm Moberg.
Bruce
Interesting historical fiction relating the story of Swedish emigrants in Minnesota in the 19th century. Second book in "The Emigrants" saga. Translated from the Swedish.
☯Bettie☯
Monica
The second in the series, it's 1850 and the Swedish immigrants make their way from NYC to Minnesota to settle. Not as good as The Emigrants, but still a good read.
Eric
Second of a series of historical fiction describing Swedish emigration to the USA and their settlement. Good story telling but not classic literature.
Somecowgirl
Not much to say, it's been awhile since I've read this book, but I enjoyed it immensely. Just ask me what I think, it might be easier then explaining it here.
Tom
As good as the first, but it picks up the pace as their travels switch from sail to steam on their way to Taylor's Falls and the St. Croix River Valley.
Lora Lee Hensel
I learned so much from this story about courage, fortitude, redemption and oh I am so glad I didn't live in Sweden in the 1800's.
Barbara Marshak
Excellent! Love learning about the Swedish immigrants in Minnesota and thoroughly enjoy Moberg's style of writing.
Kirsten
Continuing saga of Swedish immigrants as they arrive in the United States and set out for Minnesota.
Sue
Apr 19, 2008 Sue rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
I typically like the 'prairie fiction' of this time frame, but I never could get into this book.
Bethany
I liked this one better than the first one. Maybe the third will surpass the second, too.
The ocean trip from Sweden to U.S. 1 8 May 24, 2009 01:33PM
  • Mina drömmars stad (Stadsserien, #1)
  • Jerusalem
  • Doctor Glas
  • Sjukdomen (Torka aldrig tårar utan handskar, #2)
  • Röda rummet
  • Lasermannen: En berättelse om Sverige
  • I Miss You, I Miss You!
  • Överenskommelser
  • Kallocain
  • Gömda: en sann historia
  • Arvet efter Arn (The Crusades Trilogy, #4)
  • Ett öga rött
  • Skuggornas barn (Skuggserien, #3)
  • Bitterfittan
  • Wir Kinder aus Bullerbü
  • Aniara: An Epic Science Fiction Poem
Vilhelm Moberg was a Swedish author, best known for his Emigrant series of novels about Swedish emigrants to America. He also wrote other novels and plays and also participated in public debates about the Swedish monarchy, bureaucracy, and corruption.
More about Vilhelm Moberg...
The Emigrants (The Emigrants, #1) The Settlers (The Emigrants, #3) The Last Letter Home (The Emigrants, #4) From Prehistory to the Renaissance (A History of the Swedish People, #1) Rid i natt!

– I have a letter for you, mister Nelson.
Mister Abbot drog ut en låda under disken, plockade i en bunt brev tills han fick tag uti ett litet fyrkantigt, gråblått kuvert:
– Here it is! Yes, mister Nelson.
Karl Oskar strålade upp när han kände igen brevet: Det var den sorts kuvert som de nyttjade därhemma.
Han sträckte ut handen efter det.
– Fifteen cents!
Den långe skotten höll brevet i tumgreppet, men räckte det inte åt svensken på andra sidan disken:
– Fifteen cents, sir!
– What menar you, mister Abbot…?
Karl Oskar nyttjade sin engelska. Varför lämnade inte postmaster Abbot ifrån sig hans brev? Ville han ha betalt för att han hade haft hand om det – vad menade han med de där femton cents?
– You have to pay fifteen cents in postage due, mister Nelson!
Postmästaren i Taylors Falls höll fortfarande det lilla gråblå kuvertet kvar i sin högra hand, emellan tummen och pekfingret, medan han med vänstra handens pekfinger visade på frimärkena i högra hörnet. Och Karl Oskar Nilsson hade fortfarande sin hand utsträckt efter brevet från Sverige.
Så trodde han sig förstå: Brevet var inte betalt. Han måste lösa det med femton cents.
Men han hade inte en enda cent.
– Yes, sir?
Mister Abbot väntade med orörliga anletsdrag och med brevet i handen, han höll det i ett fast, säkert grepp, som om han varit rädd att tappa det eller bli fråntagen det med våld. Men Abbot var inte en man som tappade något eller som blev fråntagen något med våld.
– No… No… Invandraren prövade landets språk. Jag can’t i dag… Not today… No… Har not… Not an cent.
Och för att postmastern säkert skulle förstå, att han inte hade några pengar satte han händerna i byxlommarna och drog upp fodret: Tomt!
Postmästaren blev beklagande i rösten:
– No cash, mister Nelson? Sorry! I have to keep your letter.
Han lade åter ner brevet i lådan under sin disk.
Karl Oskar hade sträckt ut handen efter brevet från Sverige men fick dra den tom tillbaka – han stack ner den i sin tomma byxficka.”
0 likes