Start by marking “I Saw a Pale Horse & Selections from Diary of a Vagabond (Cornell East Asia, No. 86) (Cornell East Asia Series Vol 86)” as Want to Read:

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  5 ratings  ·  1 review
Hayashi Fumiko, one of the most popular prose writers of the Showa era, began writing as a down-and-out poet wandering the streets of 1920s Tokyo. In these translations of her first poetry collection, I Saw a Pale Horse(Aouma wo mitari)and Selected Poems from Diary of a Vagabond(Hôrôki), Fumiko's literary origins are colorfully revealed. Little known in the west, these ear ...more
Published June 1st 1997 by Cornell University East Asia Program (first published 1951)

Be the first to ask a question about I Saw a Pale Horse & Selections from Diary of a Vagabond (Cornell East Asia, No. 86)

Sister
Here are a few rough notes on the translation.

I've been interested in reading the works of Fumiko Hayashi, since seeing Naruse films based on her writings. I never knew she wrote poetry. Her poetry speaks to post-war female suffering, as much as her stories.

For example, as short piece (It's probably more lyrical in Japanese) about starvation:

Fly to Me, Boiled Egg

Fly to me, boiled egg.
Fly to me, bean jam bun.
Fly to me, strawberry jam bread.
Fly to me, Chinese noodle soup.

She spent a lot of time w
Colin Kenniff
Colin Kenniff marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Anchen Catherine Wheel
Anchen Catherine Wheel marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Ria Bastareche
Ria Bastareche marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Juliana
Juliana marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Hana b
Hana b marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
Delphine De maure
Delphine De maure marked it as to-read
May 16, 2013
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
Raven
Raven added it
Nov 12, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2012
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2011
Holden
Holden added it
Nov 30, 2010
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2010
Chilly SavageMelon
Chilly SavageMelon marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2008
Fumiko Hayashi (林 芙美子 Hayashi Fumiko?, December 31, 1903 or 1904 (Japanese sources disagree on the birth year) - June 28, 1951) was a Japanese novelist and poet.

When Hayashi was seven, her mother ran away with a manager of her common-law husband's store, and afterwards the three worked in Kyūshū as itinerant merchants. After graduating from high school in 1922, Hayashi moved to Tokyo with a lover
More about Hayashi Fumiko...
Floating Clouds Lampi Diario de una vagabunda 放浪記 [Hōrōki] Horoki (shoshutsu) (Japanese Edition)