Start by marking “Yul: The Man Who Would be King : a Memoir of Father and Son” as Want to Read:
Yul: The Man Who Would be King : a Memoir of Father and Son

Yul: The Man Who Would be King : a Memoir of Father and Son

A dazzling and eye-opening memoir that captures one of the most charismatic figures of stage and screen--Yul Brynner--by Yul's only son. 32 pages of black-and-white photos.
Published October 1st 1989 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Yul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yul

Alex Gregory
Jul 18, 2014 Alex Gregory rated it liked it
Shelves: given-away
Yul: The Man Who Would Be King is more of a cautionary tale than anything else - no one walks away unscathed at the end of it.

Despite author Rock Brynner's claims that this was something he needed to do to clear their air over the misconceptions of his father late in life, the book goes a long way to destroying the mystique of the entire Brynner family, including Rock himself. Yul is characterized as a womanizing playboy who could never keep it in his pants, disowned everyone around him, hated h
Sukyong Suh
Dec 25, 2016 Sukyong Suh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This was unexpectedly moving. It's received a lot of mixed reviews, both professionally and on Goodreads, so I had trepidations.

The book is written in a breezy, readable style for the most part and doesn't lapse into maudlin too often. Some of the stories about what it's like to have Liza Minelli be your girlfriend and have Elizabeth Taylor as your neighbor and almost proof positive that your father had a one night stand with Marilyn Monroe are fun in a tabloid way.

What redeems this whole exerci
Chris Hampshire
Jul 08, 2012 Chris Hampshire rated it liked it
This is a heartbreaking book and if Rock is to believed,Yul was definately lacking in some fatherly qualities,though Rock does come across as a little pathetic at times.

As in a lot of father son relationships though,it's hard to fathom exactly who did what to whom.I read this during my early twenties when I was a young wayward lad when my father exhibited a certain degree of dissapointment in me,it certainly helped me gain a little bit of perspective about how fathers view themselves,their own s
Roberta
Nov 22, 2013 Roberta rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography
I picked this book up at a library fair. The author of this book is Yul Brynner's son, Yul Brynner, Jr., who was nicknamed Rocky after the late boxer, Rocky Graziano. He may be both the best and worst person to write his father's biography. The best because he has access to the most information and the worst because he is way too close to his subject and it is totally impossible for him to be objective. I wonder as I am reading whether he is sometimes writing what he wished had happened instead ...more
Phair
Good but disillusioning look at Yul Brynner's life. I had always been drawn to him as an actor - at least to the characters he played and felt his screen presence was so much greater than his physical size would warrant. After reading this I'm glad I never had the chance to meet him in person- he would probably have squashed me like a bug. By chance I did run into someone who had had an encounter with Mr. B via telephone (she had something to do with the PR side of the theatre business). She re ...more
Lourdes
Jan 12, 2009 Lourdes rated it did not like it
I've just discovered that Rock Brynner is a pathetic liar, I lived part of what he describes in that book and are lies, supported by people who already died and nothing can argue in defense of Yul.

Rock must be in a psychiatric therapy, after his father did not let him anything in his will.

Is a poor social resentful.
Tchipakkan
As a fan, I skimmed it, going for the bits that interested me most. His early years, as an acrobat and singer. I wasn't as involved in the interaction between son and father. I bet other people would find that really compelling.
Graceann
Dec 01, 2007 Graceann rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Biography Fans
Shelves: biography
Rock Brynner takes on a difficult subject; that of his father. Yul Brynner could, at times, be a very unpleasant person - it was the flipside of his incredible talent. The biography is warts and all, and worth the time it takes to read.
Suzanne Keehne
Jul 23, 2011 Suzanne Keehne rated it liked it
Strong, but eccentric star whose opinion of himself and his abilities were always exagerrated....as a part of his charm. It really shows the toll that stardom takes on personal lives and those who surround them.
Karla
Sep 24, 2015 Karla rated it liked it
All of i know i love Yul Brynner for ever! I can't believe the bar thing that someone said he was just a human and obviously not perfecto person and All of us hace a dark si de and a good side included Yul.
Cami
May 15, 2008 Cami rated it really liked it
This bio brings the multi-dimentional Yul Brynner to light. Written by his son, it is a very honest (or at least as honest as Yul's fabricating will allow it to be, even his son knows he wasn't told the complete truth) biography. Good and bad are all there.
This man had one monster ego.
Camille
Camille rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2015
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Peggy Smith
Peggy Smith rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2010
Anastasia Gryzunova
Anastasia Gryzunova rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2007
Miles Hartl
Miles Hartl rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2017
Max Nemtsov
Sep 28, 2012 Max Nemtsov rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Sergei
Sergei rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2009
Reb
Reb rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2010
N
N rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2013
Yasmin
Yasmin rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2014
Simone Ramone
Simone Ramone rated it it was ok
Jul 02, 2009
Patrice
Patrice rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2009
Teddie
Teddie rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2011
Robert Simon
Robert Simon rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Faltar
Faltar rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2012
Joan Von
Joan Von rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Nina Savino
Nina Savino rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2013
ryck hoxie
ryck hoxie rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Betsy
Betsy rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2012