Start by marking “Children of the Self-Absorbed: A Grown-Up's Guide to Getting Over Narcissistic Parents” as Want to Read:

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  426 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Being a parent is usually all about giving of yourself to foster your child's growth and development. But what happens when this isn't the case? Some parents dismiss the needs of their children, asserting their own instead, demanding attention and reassurance from even very young children. This may especially be the case when a parent has narcissistic tendencies or narciss...more
Published April 1st 2008 by New Harbinger Publications (first published December 31st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Children of the Self-Absorbed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children of the Self-Absorbed

Rua Brithem
May 04, 2013 Rua Brithem rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who have lived life feeling like they're always wrong.
Recommended to Rua by: Google
Shelves: reference
Eye-opening, heartbreaking, and empowering at the same time. I am an adult child of a narcissistic mother and have lived my life being told what to think, do, and say. Any deviation was to be called bad, or bitch, or useless, or have to her say to me face 'I wish you were a better person'. I'd always thought there was something wrong with me and had no clue that something could be wrong with her. This book opened my eyes.

Gives strategies for dealing with narcissistic parents and how to take care...more
Gloria
A book that changed my life in my forties. What more can I say.
Daniel J DeMersseman
As I began reading, I quickly realized that it'd make a great drinking game to take a shot every time I ran across a typographical error but, fearing alcohol poisoning, I decided against it. Once I got past that and the sometimes-rambling, repetitive nature of the book, I realized it was really on point and wished I'd read it long ago when my mother had asked me to read the book, back when my father was still alive.

That said, as the book repeatedly mentions, therapy is your best option if this b...more
Brad
A recommended book from a friend in therapy.

I found it useful, it a little bit dated. The author makes the (quite common, IMHO) mistake of speaking to her audience with the assumption that they are primarily women. I presume this is an artifact of the 70's/80's, when men were more reluctant to engage in therapy.

That said, the book has a clear presentation of many of the issues that result from self absorbed parents and parenting-- and a clear picture of many of the issues that linger into adulth...more
Juanita Shenkman
I liked the book and found it very helpful in identifying maternal narcissism. Unfortunately this book advocates that the adult child put up with the abuse because the adult will never recognize their own narcissistic and abusive behavior. Since they are unable to change, the best one can do is adapt and change to accommodate their abuse. For some that will not work. No-one should have to put up with abuse.
Lucimar
So....I bought this book to try to "understand" my mother and somehow (possibly) moved towards forgiveness. sometimes when reading a chapter I'd forget it started to read to get to know my mother, it sounded like I was reading about ME. Chances are, if you had a narcissistic parent, some of those qualities/habits/etc may show up in your personality too.

So, um...yeah =)
Starlyn
So far this is an excellant book. It talks about our family of origin and how that can effect you and what you take from that that effects your own life and that of YOUR children. Lots of exercises to do and valuable information to help you drop off the old baggage and create new self talk!!!

Very helpful excercises in this book. Very insighful!!
Hemani
A solid introductory book for people who suspect that they may have grown up with narcissistic parent(s). There are a good number of lists to complete. I suspect the lists are beneficial to individuals who have never participated in long term therapy sessions or are at the early stages of their reflection on their relationship with their parents. For readers who are a bit more advanced in their understanding, the lists are tedious.

The homework assignments seem misplaced. The authors of this tex...more
Andrea
In this book the author describes sixteen actions and attitudes of self-absorbed people. She describes ten negative beliefs of the wounded child. She suggests that many injured children exhibit self-absorbed qualities themselves which I thought was a bold statement considering the intended audience. She suggests ways to increase your own awareness of your defense mechanisms, actions and attitudes with the hope that awareness will bring positive change. She has lots of exercises for self evaluati...more
Alisa
This book is not really about narcissistic parents, it is a primer on narcissists, may they be your friend, partner, boss, et al. I don't want to malign my parents! For damage to be done, the narcissist must be a figure with power/sway/authority in your life.

It clearly details how to spot a narcissist, their tactics and how to avoid "catching" the devaluations that ensue.

Very clinical given the genre. The exercises -- if embraced -- are hooky but informative (I didn't do them). So, yeah, I rea...more
Karin
I think this book is beneficial to anyone really. It is very self reflective and not finger pointing and blaming of others. Good self examination exercises. We all can do with some self examination in life. It can't be everyone else's fault can it ? No.
Tracey
I read this with Stop Walking On Eggshells. It helped me understand some behaviors better. I thought it was 3.5 stars.
Susan
I tried to get into this one but couldn't. Maybe it was just the wrong time for me.
MissAnnThrope
If you already know you're the child of a destructive narcissist, you can skip to the third chapter and start from there. I was hoping to find helpful strategies in the healing process to recover from this type of relationship, but did not find much guidance there. I can't say it's to the fault of this book, though. Anyone who has had a destructive narcissist in their life knows there isn't much you can do but focus on healing yourself. There are numerous exercises to perform towards the end of...more
Joslyn
Excellent information but I came away, nearly in a panic with the thought that I was going to turn out with NPD as well. Having read a few more books, I understand a lot more clearly that I may have some issues, but all is not lost and not everyone reacts by becoming self-absorbed and hateful themselves. Also, I can work to help myself. So, I could not rate this more than a three.
ksj
From the title, I thought this book would be more helpful than it turned out to be. The focus was too much on the narcissist and dealing with them effectively, when I'm looking to understand my empathic side better, to find ways to protect myself and give myself space. I wanted the focus more to be on the "child" rather than the "parent."
Kelly
Even if your parents aren't certified narcissistic, this book is a great dose of reality for anyone whose parents are or were overbearing and tough to handle. It's a nice piece of advice and guidance about ushering your parents into "retirement" from parenting you and monitoring your life's happenings.
Wendi
I didn't really learn anything new reading this book. It is a good read for anyone just starting out to explore this topic. I can see where it can be really helpful with someone struggling to change their life and have effective relationships with people who act in selfish ways.
Kate

a lot of this is common sense and I know already, the great thing is it tells you how you might have some of the same qualities or could be going that way and what reactionary behaviors can be and how that effects you and how to deal with these types of people.
Mostly skimmed through the book, doing only some of the exercises. Thought it was interesting seeing myself and my family in it. It's a good support for when you're finding it difficult to deal with a narcissistic person. I'll probably pass it on in the family.
Kristen
I thought this would be helpful in relating to the person in my life who has a narcissistic parent, but it wasn't. It probably would have been more helpful to him than to me! Still, as self-help books, go, I guess it was fine.
Sky Murphy
I found this book right on target. It was a bit too
broad to really solve any issues, but still gave
useful pointers. Like the beginning of a trailhead.

I feel like I could read it in a year and get something
new out of it.
Joanne
Redefines the popular definition of narcissism, which is helpful to understanding people who exhibit this behavior. After reading I was much more able to recognize destructive behavior in order to avoid it.
Warrior4
I read this to better understand my stepchildren's dealings with their mother who is a narcissist. It was very interesting. I think my stepchildren could get much more out of this book than I could.
Becca
Jan 20, 2010 Becca is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far I learned you need to have the time to sit down with this one, it's actually a workbook so with a newborn it will take some time to finish. So far it's bang on no nonsense and smart.
Stephanie Kruse
This is a must read for children with narcissistic parents. It walks the reader through, step by step, real life issues of adult children of NP with helpful exercises and insights to NPD.
Jette Stuart
This book is excellent. It teaches you how to deal with difficult people, and quite simply reinforces the "no contact" rule. Save yourself, and your sanity-read this book!
Sandy
First half was alright, after that it digressed into a how-to fix-it book, which is denigrating to the depth of insight required to heal from narcissistic parenting.
Danny McCaffrey
I bought this for a former friend, but found the insight useful myself. If you are the child of mental abuse, or the victim of one, this can be useful.
Amanda
It was a good book but I would recommend authors Elan Golomb and Karyl McBride, who are also experts on parental narcissism.
  • The Wizard of Oz and Other Narcissists: Coping with the One-Way Relationship in Work, Love, and Family
  • Trapped in the Mirror: Adult Children of Narcissists in Their Struggle for Self
  • The Narcissistic Family: Diagnosis and Treatment
  • Why Is It Always About You? : The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism
  • Will I Ever Be Good Enough?: Healing the Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers
  • Surviving a Borderline Parent: How to Heal Your Childhood Wounds and Build Trust, Boundaries, and Self-Esteem
  • Emotional Blackmail: When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation, and Guilt to Manipulate You
  • The Truth Will Set You Free: Overcoming Emotional Blindness and Finding Your True Adult Self
  • In Sheep's Clothing: Understanding and Dealing with Manipulative People
  • Disarming the Narcissist: Surviving and Thriving with the Self-Absorbed
  • Stop walking on eggshells : coping when someone you care about has borderline personality disorder
  • Narcissism: Denial of the True Self
  • Understanding the Borderline Mother: Helping Her Children Transcend the Intense, Unpredictable, and Volatile Relationship
  • Healing Your Emotional Self: A Powerful Program to Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem, Quiet Your Inner Critic, and Overcome Your Shame
  • Emotional Vampires: Dealing with People Who Drain You Dry
  • There Is Nothing Wrong with You: Going Beyond Self-Hate
  • The Gaslight Effect: How to Spot and Survive the Hidden Manipulation Others Use to Control Your Life
  • Owning Your Own Shadow: Understanding the Dark Side of the Psyche
Nina W. Brown, Ed.D., LPC, is professor and eminent scholar in the Educational Leadership and Counseling Department at Old Dominion University. An expert on narcissism's effects on relationships, she is the author of ten books, including Children of the Self-Absorbed, Working with the Self-Absorbed and Whose Life is it Anyway?
More about Nina W. Brown...
Loving the Self-Absorbed: How to Create a More Satisfying Relationship with a Narcissistic Partner Coping with Infuriating, Mean, Critical People: The Destructive Narcissistic Pattern Whose Life is It Anyway?: When to Stop Taking Care of Their Feelings & Start Taking Care of Your Own Working with the Self-Absorbed The Destructive Narcissistic Pattern