Nocover-blank-133x176
Dregs

Jørn Lier Horst

Dregs (William Wisting #6)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Meet Chief Inspector William Wisting, Head of CID in Larvik, Norway, the latest unforgettable import from Scandinavian crime fiction. An experienced policeman who is familiar with the dark side of human nature, he lives in challenging times for the Norwegian police force, meeting them with integrity and humanity, and a fragile belief that he can play a part in creating a b...more
Published August 12th 2011 by Sandstone Press (first published 2010)

Nancy Oakes
It really is a shame to have missed the first five novels in this series, because Dregs is exactly what I look for when I'm reading a novel of crime fiction. It has a good plot, enough suspects to keep the reader guessing, very little in the way of extraneous subplot, romance or main-character existentialist angst/crisis so that the reader stays focused on the crime and its solution. It is a brilliant police procedural which is all about getting to the root of the mystery at the heart of the sto...more
Rachel Hirstwood
I would heartily recommend this to fans of scandinavian crime fiction. This is the first of Horst's books to be translated into English, and it introduces us to William Wisting - Norwegian detective, widower and father. Wisting is a very likeable character and his daughter is for once, not flawed as in other Scan Crime fiction - especially Jar City by Indriadsson! Line Wisting is also a likeable character who you get the feeling will go far in her chosen professional field of journalism.

This nov...more
Rebecca Martin
This is Jorn Lier Horst's first book to be translated into English.I will certainly read more in the series (6 books so far) when they are available. The only complaint I would make is that, as the case is resolved, the explanation that is given simply comes from our being told what happened. Someone explains to us, as if we are being lectured. This is a non-dramatic, cop-out way of bringing detective fiction to a close and is, unfortunately, very common in detective fiction. I see this as a qua...more
Martin
I enjoy reading crime stories that are not originally written in English. Of course "those" Swedish ones but also Danish, Icelandic, Japanese, French, Mexican, and now this very good Norwegian book. Great story, complex but not complicated, a fast read but meaty enough, and the explanation of the "severed legs" that kick off the murder investigations is novel and plausible. I believe that this is the only English translation of his work.

Read on my Kindle (of course!) but sourced from the Ontario...more
Pamela
A thorough investigation of washed-up body parts and their probable source has Detective William Wisting and his team mystified. Parallel to this is the investigative reporting story being researched and written by his daughter, Line. The focus of her story is men who have served time in prison for murder—how incarceration has affected them. She believes their experience has been a detriment to them, and, among other issues, has not really punished them, but has hardened them in their criminalit...more
Dylan Edwards
Loved this crime procedural novel ...really likeable characters and a great plot too...hurry up and translate the earlier ones ..ahh Please
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Gave great glimpses of Norway
It starts with the discovery of a left on the beach... which doesn't sound too unusual until a 2nd left foot is also found
The storyline was unique in that had two main characters- father and daughter - who become involved in the investigaition from different professional perspectives. The father is Detective William Wisting, and his daughter is Line Wisting, a journalist.
I really don;t want to describe the plot anymore because it would interfere with the enjoyment of...more
Ian
The story opens with the discovery on a beach of a foot still encased in a trainer. This is the second such discovery in the space of a few days. Both are left feet, of differing size, but in the same make and design of trainer, so what had possibly just been an accident at sea, is now firmly perceived by Chief Inspector William Wisting as a murder case that is probably linked to the unexplained disappearance of three senior citizens several months previously. Whilst the case unfolds, Wisting's...more
Ann Davis
Fab book. First book of his to be translated into English and I'm hooked on Chief Inspector William Wisting. Wisting is frustrated that crime is beginning to pay and is feeing under the weather when a left foot is washed up on the beach. After 3 more left feet are washed ashore he realises that this is now a murder enquiry. Wisting's daughter - Line is writing a magazine article on whether prison is effective in rehabilitating prisoners and is interviewing murderers who have served their sentenc...more
Emily Higgins
Chief Inspector William Wisting heads the investigation into the discovery of 4 left feet that washed ashore in his district. He suspects that the feet have to do with several people reported missing several months ago, but is having trouble finding a connection. It is fascinating reading about the progress of the case and Chief Inspector Wisting's ability to tie together seemingly unrelated threads.
Deferrers
A fresh style that makes Scandinavian authors so appealing. Written by a former police officer the characters and plot are almost believable. Frustrating that only two of the author's books have yet to be translated. Ebook has a typo error with one character, that of Kristin, who is misspelt as Kirsten and then as Kristen. Proof reader should have picked up on that one.
Mary Grace Walsh
I liked the plot and people in the first I've read by this author. It's the first of the series to be tranlated and the dopey publishers chose to translate the 6th book first. My favorite Scandinavian cops are Harry Hole, Erlendur and Wallander and William Wisting is certainly welcome at the table. I don't mean to leave out Larsson's trio, which is how most of us mystery folk were led to this treasure trove; however his death ended that source.
I might add that I'll never forgive Mankell for wha...more
Monchari S
DREGS is about Chief Inspector William Wisting, a veteran inspector of Norway at age about 50 deal with a mysterious killer who left 4 left feet from 4 victims for him to solve.

This is my first time for Norway’s suspense novel (and this is the author’s first book to be translated to English) I found it’s easy to follow even the story is written very neat in details (which I normally get irritated easily) Chapters were cut shortly so I could be able to manage time in reading quite well.

Story and...more
Frustratingly this is the 6th book in the series but the first to be translated into English. Inspector William Wisting has 4 different left feet washed up on shore and has to work out who they belong to and why these people have been killed. Meanwhile, his daughter Line is researching a paper about the effect that jail has on murderers. There is clearly some back story between Wisting and Line that has happened in the first 5 books. I felt this story started really well, then struggled a little...more
Eddie
I'm beginning to enjoy the slow but ultimately inexorable pace of these Scandinavian novels and this one is no exception. The plot is meticulously put together and I was looking forward to a climax where everything falls into place and everything becomes clear with gasps of "Of course!"
Unfortunately the ending (for me) was too abrupt and felt a little forced as if the Horst had a deadline to hit. This rather disappointed me and took the gloss off what could have been a great mystery.
Still a good...more
Diane S.
I usually hate reading a series out of order but since, even though, this is the 6th it is the first translated into English. Characters were not as flawed as the characters in many nordic crime fiction, but the storyline was interesting. A bit of historical data and really enjoyed the alternate but complimenting storyline by Wisting's daughter, who is a journalist. Looking forward and hoping that the rest of the series is translated and released in the US.
Judy
I am hooked on Nordic crime novels and this one feeds into my predilection very nicely. There is a good balance of grisly happenings, a recognizably human investigator, mental imbalance, interesting arcane knowledge, and all set to the background of the merciless sea.

This is the sixth in a series but the first translated into English. Hoping for more...
Joan
Well-written. Good plot.

Parallel stories of Police Inspector Wisting investigating for the police and his daughter investigating for a newspaper article is well-handled.

Wisting is not as brooding as Wallander nor as damaged as Erlendur. but he is an intesting charachter and well-drawn.
Naomi
Solid performance from Horst - a 'does what it says on the tin' crime novel. Only quibble is the detectives health issues which led to a bit of over the top ham acting in the final denouement - if you're not going to give the guy a heart attack then don't write as though he's having a heart attack.
Karen
A very good police procedural. This was a book I couldn't put down. It had an intriguing plot hinging to some extent on the past. And the characters were likable unlike many of the dour Scandinavians one runs across in other Nordic novels.
Jonathan Beardsley
First english translation of one of Jorn Lier Horts's novels and was good - solid plot and pacing with plenty of suspects but no one obvious one till the very end. Worth a read and I'll look out for anymore translations to come..
Michele Abrams Lehn
An enjoyable read set in Norway for a change. Good character development, and an exciting finish. But overall, it was a bit slow moving and not particularly thrilling. I would, however, read this author again.
Meredith
This book's ending is a bit abrupt. I think I would have enjoyed it more if not for the ridiculous"illness" of the main character. Really... whose doctor calls them with that diagnosis?
Julie
Call it 3.5 stars. The writing is good, the mystery is decent. I never connected with the protagonist but will still probably try another in the series.
Thorsten
Første og siste bok jeg leste av Jørn Lier Horst. Den var bra skrevet og lett å lese, men dessverre var det null spenning før på ca. 90% av boken.
Karen wadey
Loved this book, very well translated, great story and characters look forward to reading more!!
Rosemary
I enjoyed this book, the story seemed to work quite well. It felt a bit rushed towards the end.
Maureen
Hope the previous books will be available soon. Excellent read, look forward to more of the same.
Dan Klimaszewski
Classic Scandinavia mystery. Great writing. Not as dark as others. Very well done.
  • Pierced (Henning Juul, #2)
  • Night Rounds
  • The Hand That Trembles (Ann Lindell, #8)
  • Der unglückliche Mörder. (Inspector Van Veeteren #7)
  • Hypothermia
  • Frozen Moment
  • Evas Öga (Inspector Konrad Sejer #1)
  • Death of the Demon: A Hanne Wilhelmsen Novel
  • Frozen Tracks
  • Ashes to Dust
  • The Inner Circle (Anders Knutas, #3)
  • Summer Death: A Thriller
  • Misterioso (A-gruppen, #1)
  • Cold Comfort (Officer Gunnhilder #2)
  • Another Time, Another Life (The Fall of the Welfare State, #2)
Born in Telemark in 1970, Horst is a police officer. His first mystery was published in 2004, and has been followed by five more books in the William Wisting procedural series. He has also published a non-series novel and a book about criminal investigation for children. So far only the sixth book in the Wisting series has been published in English translation.
More about Jørn Lier Horst...
Jakthundene (William Wisting #8) Vinterstengt (William Wisting #7) Nattmannen (William Wisting, #5) Nøkkelvitnet (William Wisting #1) Hulemannen (William Wisting #9)