Start by marking “The Top Gear Story: The 100% Unofficial Story of the Most Famous Car Show . . . in the World” as Want to Read:

The full story of the unstoppable rise of Clarkson, Hammond, May, and the Stig--and how they created one of the most famous TV shows of the 21st century Reaching a peak in the 1990s thanks to presenter Jeremy Clarkson, the original series faced the axe in 2001 but Clarkson and producer Andy Wilman successfully pitched a new format to BBC bosses and "Top Gear" returned to b ...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Blake Publishing (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Top Gear Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Top Gear Story

Bettie☯
Liam Tondeur
Jun 08, 2013 Liam Tondeur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying that Top Gear is my favourite television show. This book reveals quite a bit of information on the background of the show and insights into how it is made. I wouldn't go as far as to say that any secrets are shared as all the author tells you can be found out by asking the right people.

I enjoyed it but felt that more could have been written. The author does back up episodes he is discussing with quotes or questions answered by the production team at Top Gear and some medic
Emma
Jun 18, 2011 Emma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a Top Gear fan, and when I saw this book in the local bookshop, I bought it. My mum has also started reading it.
It's interesting to read but, as my mum pointed out, most of the information (particually about the 'new' Top Gear) is from websites which aren't actually BBC, or official Top Gear. Some of it is, and so I'm not being too harsh on that fact. Also, no interview with either James, Jeremy, or Richard.
I've also found a few errors, some editorial, but some in information. e.g: the 1963
bigmuzz
this book was a quick and easy read, but also quite enjoyable. written from a fan's perspective, it gives a history of the programme, from the old top gear days, to the revolutionary new top gear format which has taken the world by storm. it also gives interesting bio's of the presenters, and details key moments and controversies in the shows history, such as the challenges, the stig reveal, and the crash. an interesting and easy book to read for any fan of the show. (PS can't believe this book ...more
Cherie
Mar 15, 2012 Cherie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-gear
As stated in a few other reviews, there are many blatantly incorrect facts in this book. It does give you a background for those who have little knowledge of the previous incarnation of the show. But given the facts that are known to be incorrect, you can't be sure they are correct either. If you are a minor fan of the show you will enjoy it, if you are a massive fan, you will be frustrated at the incorrect facts.
Marlowe
Nov 26, 2013 Marlowe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A history of Top Gear, focusing almost solely on the new incarnation - the early years are dispatched in a couple of chapters.

Fairly tedious and written in a tone that reminded me of Louis Tully defending the ghostbusters in court (Ghostbusters II), it felt a bit indisciplined in its structure.
Amy (and her hounds)
Written by a "fan" who can't be bothered to get his facts straight...apparently through two editions! Sloppy and fairly boring, I would have spent my time more wisely by watching the show.
Ross
Ross rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2015
Rhys Kilian
Rhys Kilian rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Ruth Eirhart
Ruth Eirhart rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Jock
Jock rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2012
Laura Lee
Laura Lee rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2012
Aaron Kuhn
Aaron Kuhn rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Todd Dillon
Todd Dillon rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Nigel
Nigel rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2013
Charlene Cavinta
Charlene Cavinta rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2014
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Patrick
Patrick rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2012
Seth Anderson
Seth Anderson rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2013
Scott Ireland
Scott Ireland rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2016
Mikko
Mikko rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2012
Rob
Rob rated it did not like it
Jun 27, 2012
Michael Whiteway
Michael Whiteway rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Shelby Coder
Shelby Coder rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2012
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
May 09, 2013
Brian Williams
Brian Williams rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Sk888888
Sk888888 rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2014
Phil Broadhurst
Phil Broadhurst rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2013