Start by marking “It Won't Hurt a Bit: Nursing Tales from the Swinging Sixties” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
It Won't Hurt a Bit: N...

Jane Yeadon

It Won't Hurt a Bit: Nursing Tales from the Swinging Sixties

When Jane Yeadon decided that she wanted to become a nurse, the Swinging Sixties had arrived in style. But before her training the nearest she got to anything swinging was the udder of the cow on their farm in the north-east of Scotland. It was time to leave for the bright lights and some modern life. It Won't Hurt a Bit is the story of Jane's journey from the farm she lov ...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Black & White Publishing (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about It Won't Hurt a Bit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Won't Hurt a Bit

Helena Huang
Mar 21, 2017 Helena Huang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I think there was a call the midwife fan who wrote another positive review. I am also a call the midwife and I think that all fans of call the midwife will really appreciate this book. Call the midwife book was written by Jennifer Lee, and the first three seasons of the CTM TV series are centred in around her. However, CTM only talks about the Nonnatus House midwives experience in their job as district midwives, and doesn't talk about their experiences as a student nurs ...more
Melanie Long
The Scottish text made it quite difficult to understand in places.
Sho
Having recently read a nursing memoir, and being in hospital I decided to give this one a try. It was the Kindle Deal of the Day a couple of weeks ago and I'm always a sucker for a memoir.

This time it was about a trainee nurse in Aberdeen in the 1960s and it was written in an engaging way, with more emphasis on Jane's life and her colleagues than the actual training (although there are some great descriptions of lectures etc).

It is all to easy for us to fall into the trap of thinking that the Sw
Josephine
An o.k. book but not really up to expectation in my case. Although set in the 'swinging sixties' there is little mention of all the exciting things that were going on at the time. This would have been fine if the life in the hospital during training had been really interesting or exciting but it was not either. There was none of the grittiness of Call The Midwife, no real emergencies. The book was neither dramatic or funny. The amusing anecdotes were only mildly funny and the supposedly dramatic ...more
Hillary
Jun 06, 2015 Hillary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had deja vu reading this book. Perhaps I have simply read too many similar memoirs? The author's naivete and excitement were clear in the beginning, and by the end I did have a good sense of how she had developed and matured - but the book lacks any real depth. She kind of glosses over a lot of detail. If you're only going to read one nursing memoir of this type, I'd go with Call the Midwife. If you're bored on vacation and just need to kill some time, this is fine, if relatively unexciting.
Chris
May 18, 2011 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Having known Jane for years I always wanted to get her book and we saw it in The Washington to other week. It was ok. Nothing spectacular and I cant honestly say any of the funny stories stand out. Its billed as being set in the swinging sixties but there really wasnt much evidence of that. I think the problem was I had read a similar book by another local nurse Jean Mortimer and it was much funnier.
Sarah Hammond
As a nurse myself it always interests me how the matron era had it, you hear stories from patients and older staff members along the way, but yet somehow I expected more... There is little talk about the swinging sixties and while I know that a student nurse forgoes a social life, as it was billed as set in this era I had expected some of that. and was to be honest disappointed it didn't live up to that expectation.
Juliana Graham
Disappointing. I didn't think this book was very well written which you can overlook if the story is really engaging, but it wasn't. Not really much in the way of hospital drama and no sense of the time either. Quite bland. Call the Midwife is much, much better.
E
Aug 24, 2011 E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, fast read, about nursing in the 1960s
Carolyn Watson
Carolyn Watson rated it did not like it
Nov 07, 2016
Aj
Aj rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2014
Hannah Mccabe
Hannah Mccabe rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2017
Elizabeth Robson
Elizabeth Robson rated it it was ok
Dec 18, 2012
rhoda clattenburg
rhoda clattenburg rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2015
Maria Thompson
Maria Thompson rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Fiona
Fiona rated it liked it
May 30, 2012
Amanda
Aug 02, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
was an ok read, interesting but had to read it bit by bit
Mrs J Turner
Mrs J Turner rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2017
Kirsty
Kirsty rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2015
Paula Columbine
Apr 14, 2016 Paula Columbine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice easy, lazy read.
mimi lower
mimi lower rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Ruth Johnstone
Ruth Johnstone rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2014
julie ashton
julie ashton rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Millie
Millie rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Cath Cole
Cath Cole rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2016
mrs d langfear
mrs d langfear rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Harriet Farquhar
Harriet Farquhar rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2016
Jeanette
Jeanette rated it did not like it
Dec 29, 2015
Jill Cochran
Jill Cochran rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2016
Elaine Dale
Elaine Dale rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2015