Start by marking “Firethorn” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Firethorn

Ronie Kendig

Firethorn (Discarded Heroes #4)

Grab your tactical gear and join the mission to save the covert Nightshade team. Will anyone make it out alive?
Published January 1st 2012 by Barbour Publishing

Casey
Jan 08, 2012 Casey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I might not always get or understand all the tactical moves, I may not always follow the lingo and track all the players in the story. But one thing I *do* get when it comes the “Discarded Heroes” is this: the heart, the power, the faith, the drive, the conviction behind each of these men and women jumps through the pages and grabs me by the throat.

This last installment is nothing if not fast paced and high-intensity. And I saw something I never thought would be possible: Nightshade, special bla
Calisto
Sep 12, 2011 Calisto rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the Nightshade series
Former Marine Griffin Riddell, framed for murder and sent to prison, trusts no one but his Nightshade brothers. When treachery dismantles the team, the only person Griffin can rely on is the super efficient, icy spy, Kazi Faron. But she has her own agenda and it might cost the lives of his teammates.

I must admit, I requested this book based on the cover and the blurb. I expected an exciting action-adventure romance. I had no idea it was the fourth book in the series and that it's under the label
MaryLu Tyndall
Jan 08, 2012 MaryLu Tyndall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Discarded Heroes series has been one WILD ride! And I, for one, am sad to see it end. I fell in love with all the macho heroes who made up the covert Nightshade team. I cheered for them when they rescued victims and fought for justice, I trembled for them when their lives hung in the balance, I laughed at their boyish antics, cried at their pain and internal struggles, and smiled as each one fell madly in love! Each man waged his own battle with himself and with God. But what a joy it was to ...more
Barbara
Jun 21, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in a short time. (At least for me) I have read the other three books in this series. I must say, though, that I found parts of it quite confusing. A lot of times, authors who write a series will include some background of each character in each book. That way if you read the book as a stand alone, it would make sense, maybe not be as meaningful, but it would make sense. I found I had some trouble remembering who was who, but it did not distract too much from my enjoyment of the ...more
Aerykah
Great book! I love the way Ronie Kendig writes. However, I was pretty disappointed that this is the last book in the series. :( I was really looking forward to reading books about all the other guys in the Nightshade Team.
I wish that things had turned out differently for Marshall in particular --- he was one of my favorites and I've wanted to read "his book" almost from the very beginning of the series.
I confess, I did have tears in my eyes during some of the last pages. Though the actual final
Sarita
I enjoyed the final installment of the Discarded Heroes series, but not as much as the previous 3 books.

The action contained in these pages was never lacking and very fast paced. The discarded heroes is dismantled, and we see various rescue missions to get the team together. Due to this, the action jumps around between all the various locations of the heroes.

I enjoyed Griffen and Kazi's stories. Both had to deal with some very difficult issues, especially Kazi. I actually would have like the sto
Katie
Jan 06, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First posted on my blog, Legacy of a Writer.

Anyone who’s read anything by Ronie Kendig knows that she can deliver “rapid-fire fiction”, and she does not disappoint in Firethorn, the grand finale for the Discarded Heroes series! Open this book and instantly you will be sucked into the latest adventure for the Nightshade team. Except, instead of being sent on a mission…they are the mission—to regroup back together and hunt down whoever tried to permanently dismantle the Nightshade team.

What I foun
Julie Graves
Things start to go terribly wrong for the Nightshade team. Griffin(Legend) is wrongly accused of murdering a high up official. He is in prison, depressed, wondering where he went wrong in life. He doesn't know how he will survive the rest of his life in prison, but he is determined to do it with honor and pride like the Marine that he is.

The Nightshade team are just back from a mission when their headquarters are attacked. They are separated and taken to different locations around the world. Two
Tamara Tilley
The end has come too soon. The last installment in the Discarded Heroes series is riveting fiction at its best!

Kazi Faron is faced with an insurmountable task . . . reassemble the Nightshade team that someone in a place of power has single-handedly destroyed. With the team members all over the globe–some near death–her job will not be easy. Breaking Griffin “Legend” Riddell, out of a supermax penitentiary is her first task. Executed with precision and great skill, Griffin is stupefied that Kazi–
Paula  Phillips
When it comes to genres , I'm not normally a military genre chick .For me , in order to get into it , it needs to be thrilling, fast-paced and not too confusing . I have enjoyed the likes of Lee Child , Howard Gordon, Douglas Preston and now I have a new name to add to my list Ronie Kendig. His military book Firethorn was awesome and thrilling as we read the main character on the run for his life -in a way Firethorn reminded me alot of the second part of the film "The A-Team" which I loved that ...more
Erica
WOW!! What an incredible conclusion to the Discarded Heroes series! Ronie Kendig, you are amazing and without a doubt one of my most favorite authors! Griffin and Kazi's story was phenomenal. This book definitely had a different flavor to it since the team was split up for most of it. I liked that. It made it intense from the very beginning to the very end. I loved the peek into the past with Griffin, I loved how Kazi's story developed and yes, I cried at the end because there is a really good r ...more
Joe Young
Sep 18, 2011 Joe Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Action packed Black Ops. adventure story that includes the pathos that typical war heroes and their families must deal with on a daily basis. Includes crooked politicians, betrayals, redemption and the the emotional turmoil that threatens their very mission. The operational details are authentically described and the inter group loyalty and sense of family are accurately portrayed. It is a story that has you floating along as an invisible member of the team, sharing in their emotions as they cha ...more
Susan
Jun 04, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent ending to this series. Many intriguing angles to this story. The reader becomes quite fond of the Nightshade team and their spouses. As always a real page turner. I always enjoy the characters' relationship with God. As always I'm looking forward to reading more by this author.
Abbi
Jan 02, 2012 Abbi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was SOOOOOOOOO good! It made me laugh, cry, and everything in between!
Kara
Feb 15, 2012 Kara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nightshade has been brutally attacked! Some of the guys have been kidnapped, some are missing and it’s even possible that they are dead. Unlike other battles they’ve encountered together, this time it’s PERSONAL and whoever is responsible for this is going down!!! Griffin “Legend” is serving a life term in prison for a crime he didn’t commit when out of nowhere this beautiful and mysterious woman, Dr. Kacie, breaks him out of prison with no explanation until they are safely underway. The only th ...more
Ellen Ayers
Dec 30, 2016 Ellen Ayers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting conclusion to the Discarded Heroes series. I love how these books each have their own free-standing story but are still loosely connected together by the characters they share.
Iola
Nightshade is a team of highly-trained military black-ops specialists. In the case of Nightshade, they are so black that they don’t officially exist - except that someone in power not only knows of their existence, but is out to destroy them. One team member, Griffin, has been falsely imprisoned for murder, while the others are ambushed and taken prisoner by unknown assailants attacking their headquarters. Their wives and children are taken to a government safe house, and their boss has disappea ...more
Lynn
This review was posted on my blog in March 2012.

Do not, under any circumstances, no matter how tempted you are...do not open this book if you have anything urgent on your to-do list.

If you have to do laundry or you'll be going to a meeting in gym clothes.
If you have to buy groceries or everyone will be eating cereal for supper.
If you have a presentation to prepare handouts for (um...maybe that just applies to me)!

You have been warned.

If you (not that I
Nicole
Jan 26, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firethorn by Ronie Kendig is the fourth (and sadly, final) book in the Discarded Heroes series.
Firethorn follows former Marine Griffin "Legend" Riddel, who finds himself sitting in a maximum security prison facing charges for a murder he didn't commit.

Covert operative Kazi Faron is hired to break Griffen out of prison and reassemble the newly dismantled Nightshade team.

As Kazi and Griffen race around the world to rescue the Nightshade team, Griffen learns that Kazi has secrets. Secrets that cou
Linda
Feb 14, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BLOWN AND DISMANTLED! NIGHTSHADE IS READY TO REPAY THE FAVOR!

The Nightshade group are recouping in The Shack when they find themselves infiltrated and fired upon. No matter where they hid, they were found out except for Max and Dighton. Not only are they infiltrated, their complex is imploded. The men are then scattered all over the world. Who? How? The Shack was secure!

Nightshade team member, Griffin Riddell (aka “Legend”), finds himself in a maximum security prison, charged with the murder of
Renee
Before I say anything about this book I have to say this if you've followed this series at all you're probably like me and have fallen head over heels for the guys of Nightshade and gone through more than your fair share of tissues. Firethorn, the conclusion to the action-packed Discarded Heroes series is absolutely bittersweet in so many ways that you will want to have the tissues at hand even if you have never cried while reading a book. I can honestly say that Ronie Kendig not only writes the ...more
Marji Laine
Nov 17, 2011 Marji Laine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian Fiction readers, suspense and thriller readers, military readers
Ronie Kendig's Firethorn keeps action pouring over each page. The Discarded Heroes series encompasses four books in all. While I'm sure they all share many of the same characters, Firethorn stands alone as its own story. I admit, I was a little concerned reading book #4 when I hadn't read any of the others. I shouldn't have worried. Ms. Kendig makes sure to cover all of the pertinent information about the characters, giving little bite-sized pieces at just the right times.

Shifting between two ma
Gloria
Feb 10, 2016 Gloria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, rated
FIRETHORN is the finale to the Disarded Heroes series about the Nightshade team. This is the story of Griffin, the big guy that helped Olin Lambert, the Old Man, put the team together. Griffin was unfairly charged and found guilty of killing a congressman that he happened upon after someone else killed the man. He was sentenced to a supermax prison facility. At the beginning of the story, the remaining team is returning to the Shack after a mission when they are attacked by an unknown group of a ...more
Heidi
May 06, 2013 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this fourth and final book in the Discarded Heroes series but was sad that the series had come to an end.

Griffin Riddell, also known as Legend, is the main character in this book. When the Shack is attacked, the heroes are scattered, and a female outsider--strong and determined Kazi--is brought in to rescue them. Imagine the worst possible stuff that could happen to the heroes, and well, there you have it. But it makes for a great story.

Just to warn you, there was at least one major sh
Anne
Jun 09, 2011 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emotionally. Wrung. Out.

That's how I feel. The high's and low's are extreme and adrenaline inducing. While my head is spinning from all the action and pounding from the tears, I'm telling myself this isn't real. It didn't happen. Really? It seemed real. Gut-wrenchingly so.

I thought nothing could outdo Wolfsbane in this series. I was wrong.

Firethorn, while not heavy on romance, brought together two people who seem so opposite but who have so many hidden similarities. Griffin is one tough dude.
Jane
Oct 05, 2011 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read some very famous military thriller authors who seem to live by the motto, “If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with acronyms.” At that point it ceases to matter how edge-of-your-seat-breathless the action is, because I lost track of who the bad guy was.

This is not the case with Ronie Kendig’s Discarded Heroes series. Ronie, an army brat and wife of military retiree, has captured all the intrigue of an international covert cloak and dagger operation without unnecessa
Susan Baganz
Mar 17, 2013 Susan Baganz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve become a fan of romantic suspense. What can I say? There’s something about the danger and a man of honor willing to lay it all on the line for his team, his country and the people he loves. This series looks at a group of men assembled for black-ops. Undercover international operatives that are not acknowledged by the government but go in and do the dirty work no one else wants to. The name of this team is Nightshade (also title of the first book) and is made up of men with dark pasts who h ...more
Julie
First of all, my sincerest apologies to Ronie Kendig for taking so long to post this review!!!

Ronie has taken the top spot in my "favorite authors" list. I had been talking to her about this series for awhile, as I fell in love with the Discarded Heroes with Nightshade by Ronie Kendig. I was fortunate to read this book as a galley and have had a hard time not discussing it openly so as to not ruin the book!

In this gripping conclusion (ok, can I hope not?!?!) to the Discarded Heroes series, "Le
Feb 07, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: FIRETHORN: Discarded Heroes #4
Author: Ronie Kendig
Publisher: Barbour Books
January 2012
ISBN: 978-1-60260-785-9
Genre: Fiction/Christian/Suspense

Once again, author Ronie Kendig takes us deep inside the world of the US Special Forces in this fourth installment of the Discarded Heroes series. She remains true to her passionate portrayal of operators who operate outside officially sanctioned parameters, facing incredible odds with a bemusing smirk and a nonchalant, “What? Again?” attitude.

In th
Rhonda
Jan 17, 2012 Rhonda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review: Firethorn by Ronie Kendig
5 STARS
Firethorn is the last book of the Discarded Heroes series. I have now read only 2 of the 4 but they don't disapoint at all. I liked the book except the part that brought me to tears.
Discarded Heroes is about a special black ops team. They are loyal but have some problems and thier families don't all know they are serving are country still.
This last book opens with their team under attack at their secret base and some are taken two get out of building befo
  • Lethal Legacy (Guardians of Justice, #3)
  • When a Secret Kills (Deadly Reunions, #3)
  • Pursuit Of Justice (Call of Duty, #3)
  • Protection for Hire (Protection for Hire, #1)
  • No Safe Haven
  • Accused (Pacific Coast Justice, #1)
  • Undercover Pursuit (Missions of Mercy #3)
  • Injustice For All (Justice Seekers, #1)
  • Falls Like Lightning
  • Indelible
  • Jungle Fire
  • Lonestar Angel (Lonestar Series, #4)
  • Shattered (Alaskan Courage, #2)
Ronie Kendig is an award-winning, bestselling author who grew up an Army brat. She married her own hunky hero, who’s an Army veteran. After twenty-plus years of marriage, she and her husband have a full life with four children and two dogs. Ronie’s degree in psychology has helped her pen novels of raw, broken characters. Since launching onto the publishing scene, Ronie’s Rapid-Fire Fiction has hit ...more
More about Ronie Kendig...

Discarded Heroes (4 books)
  • Nightshade (Discarded Heroes, #1)
  • Digitalis (Discarded Heroes #2)
  • Wolfsbane (Discarded Heroes #3)