Start by marking “They Disappeared” as Want to Read:
They Disappeared

They Disappeared

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  333 ratings  ·  54 reviews

A loving family, fracturing under pressure...
Jeff Griffin, a mechanic, and his wife, Sarah, travel from Montana to Manhattan to give their nine-year-old son, Cole, his dream vacation as they secretly face the heart-wrenching turmoil that has them teetering on divorce.
In the wake of their heartbreak, a mother and son disappear...
While sightseeing near Times Square, Jeff
Published October 1st 2012 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about They Disappeared, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Disappeared

Patricia
Cole Griffin is nine years old and his dream is to see Manhattan and that dream is about to come true. Jeff, Cole's father, is a mechanic and volunteer fire fighter in the family's Laurel, Montana hometown. Sarah, Cole's mother, is a schoolteacher. The family of three had been a family of four until Cole's baby sister died. Since Cole's baby sister died, Jeff and Sarah had been holding the family together with a thread. Neither parent is good at handling their grief and this has caused a rift in ...more
Linda
This was an awesome book. I really enjoyed it. I want to read all his books now. A new author for me but not disappointing at all. I hope all his books are as good as this one was. Wonderful ending ... I loved it!!
Naomi
Read my full review @: http://bit.ly/QY4a7p

My opinion: I could never really warm up to this book. Although, I did like the writing; I kept having the feeling of "been there, done that". Furthermore, I found the story pretty predictable as to the outcome.

On a side note, I was happy to see this type of mystery from Harlequin! Very little romance and somewhat fast paced. I hope they continue it!
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

They Disappeared caught my attention in the way most thriller novels do but particularly as another title by this author, Vengeance Road, has been on my wishlist for a while.
When Jeff Griffin's wife, Sarah and nine year old son Cole, disappear from Times Square during a family holiday, the police are dismissive, suspecting a domestic quarrel. Frustrated by the investigators, Jeff takes matters into his own hands and frantically searches New York for his missing family, unwittingly blundering in
Heather Pearson
This novel told me all I needed to know about how not to vacation in New York City. First, ensure that you pick-up your own bag at the airport. Second, don't accidentally keep anything that isn't yours from that wrong bag and third, well, don't read this book just after your teen daughter returns from a trip to New York City.

I was captured by this book by the end of the first short chapter. I barely put it down till I finished it the next day, carrying it around the house with me as I attended t
Alexia561
You know those old horror movies that come on late at night, where you scream "Don't go in there!" at the TV but the characters go in anyway, to certain doom? I felt a little like that at the beginning of this book. I wanted to scream at Jeff to not leave his family's side for even a minute. Don't do it! Stay with them! But then this would have been a very different book....

Jeff and Sarah are going through a rough time, having lost their baby daughter to SIDS over a year ago. Not sure if their m
Christa
I thought that They Disappeared was a gripping novel. It caught my attention from the very beginning, and held it throughout the book. I liked the Griffin family members - Jeff, Sarah, and Cole, and was hoping for a positive outcome for them. The storyline was fast-paced and filled with action. For me, this was an excellent book, and I loved every moment spent reading it.

Jeff, Sarah , and Cole Griffin are tourists in New York City. Seeing this city is Cole's dream, and his parents are hoping to
Colleen
Small town mechanic, Jeff Griffin, is visiting New York with his wife and son. As the story opens, he is contemplating divorce. However, just as he realizes he does want to fight to keep his marriage, his wife and son are kidnapped.

Jeff goes to the police, but soon decides to search for them on his own. Why? I don't know. He comes across leads and doesn't even think to tell the investigators, but instead risks his own life to pursue the bad guys.

The story is fast paced and has a good, if not pre
Dave
I haven't quite finished the book, so am writing this in anticipation of the ending being just as good as the rest of the book. My first Rick Mofina book and I shall return for more. A well written, fast paced thriller, which gripped me from page one. Lots of plot going on there, but its so well written, that its not a mass of plots going on together, that confuse and ultimately come together at the end, its a pretty seamless read. If the ending is garbage, I shall return in a few days and add i ...more
Wendy
I consider this novel to be a non-stop suspense-filled action drama.

In a attempt to reunite a broken family, Jeff, Sarah and their 9 yr old son Cole take a family vacation in New York City. While visiting Times Square Jeff walks into a shop for a moment and when he returns he finds his wife and son are gone from where they promised to wait for him. Jeff's frantic search begins and quickly turns into a roller-coaster ride involving the police, FBI, Secret Service and terrorists.
This story kept me
Christine
Pure SUSPENSE the whole way through. This book was a page turner from the get go.

There were times I wanted to strangle the male lead Jeff. He took some foolish risks and some things might have turned out differently. But then, the story would have been over.

The story line is great. It was strangely believable, which only fed the suspense. I found all the characters believable in their reactions, from the good, the bad and the ugly.

Worth picking up if you are looking for suspense. Just make sur
Debra
When Jeff's family just disappeared from the street while on vacation in New York, he sets out to do the impossible: figure out what happened and rescue his wife and son. Completely out of his usual Montana element, and against all odds, Jeff's determination to follow up any lead, no matter how obscure, keeps him motivated. In the meantime, a task force comes to believe that Jeff's family is part of a much more sinister plot involving terrorism against the United Nations. As time ticks out, Jeff ...more
Mischelle
THEY DISAPPEARED was not a disappointment! Great story! Great plot! Great everything!

A man's family has been kidnapped by terrorists on a vacation in New York City. A whole lot of international events are going on in New York and it is a right area and time for protesters and terrorists activities. Jeff, the family, sets out on his own to find his wife and son. He does not wait for the authorities before he acts. He just goes on his quest and helps the police find the terrorist.

I really enjoyed
Nancy McFarlane
The action starts when Jeff Griffin, visiting NYC with his wife and 9 year old son, goes into a shop to buy batteries for his camera and comes out to find his wife and son gone. A panhandler says he thinks he saw them being forced into a van and that starts Jeff on a non-stop roller coaster ride, both physically and emotionally, through the streets of NYC as he tries to find them. Heart stopping action and a heart wrenching back story make this a thriller that you won’t be able to put down.
Harlequin Books
"If your guilty pleasure is reading about ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances, take note. You'll love this. The story about a family vacation gone horribly wrong is told at a nearly frenetic pace that just might turn you into a speed reader. At each cliffhanger, you'll decide to put off that urgent chore just a little longer. So settle in, you won't be able to put it down till the last page." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 stars

Oma
I thought this book was fast paced and actually plausible. I've enjoyed all of Mofina's books so far. Wish his earlier books were ereads! I also thought he did develop the characters of Jeff, Sarah, and even the little boy, Cole ( unlike other reviewers felt).
Becky
Pretty good thriller. Slightly slow in the middle, but very actiony. The ending was ok, but didn't tie some of what I thought were loose ends. I'll probably try other books by this author as he has a good writing style.
Robin
I enjoyed this fast-paced thriller. Even though I knew everything would work out, it still kept me involved. Not something I would pick up everyday, it hit the spot. Page turner.
Mary
I really enjoyed this book. It was light, and a very quick read. I found it to be one of those books that I wish I didn't have to put down until I had finished it.
Ev
It was non-stop action from the very beginning. However, the more into the book I got, the less believeable everything became. That's why it got a 4 instead of a 5.
Joe Donnelly
An enjoyable thriller about a father searching for his missing wife and son. If you enjoy "24" or films like "Frantic" you will most likely enjoy this fast moving chase.
John Supple
Really liked this book. He is one of my favourite writers in this genre. I find it's difficult to put down his books once you start reading them

Cheryl
Loved this Mofina book like all others I have read. New York City, small town family, kidnapping, intrigue, terrorism. Fast-paced great book.
Nicole
This is a great, edge of your seat page turner. I was hook after the first chapter and couldn't put it down...loved it!! GREAT summer read!
Patti
If you are a Rick Mofina fan like I am then this is a must read!!! A fast-paced hly recommard to put down book! Highly recommend!
Barbara B.
New author for me. Really good story. Plan to read more by him!
Kim Snyder
Pretty goo d book. Fast moving and great characters
Suequeenofchaos
I enjoyed this book. It was one that I couldn't put down.
Rita
Exciting page turner.
Robin Jonathan Deutsch
This novel started out with a bang, really good, but as it progressed it started to unfold. The plot started to spiderweb in all sorts of directions and the main protagonist became a little less sympathetic figure in each chapter. I recognize the frenetic single-minded determination of Jeff Griffin, but some of the stunts he pulled were simply too much to believe. I have read several Mofina novels, all good stuff, I think the last few chapters were rushed compared to other sections of the book. ...more
  • Unforgiven (Beartooth, Montana, #1)
  • Extra Credit
  • God Loves Ugly
  • The Lawyer's Lawyer (Jack Tobin, #3)
  • Edge of Black (Dr. Samantha Owens #2)
  • Tattooed (Kate Lange #3)
  • The Line Between Here and Gone (Forensic Instincts, #2)
  • Heaven Should Fall
  • City of the Dead
  • Nightshade on Elm Street (A Flower Shop Mystery, #13)
  • Don't Say A Word
  • Imperfect Spirituality: Extraordinary Enlightenment for Ordinary People
  • Fixing to Die
  • The House on Malcolm Street
  • The Survivor
  • Written in Stone (A Books by the Bay Mystery #4)
  • Stalked (Lucy Kincaid #5)
  • First-Degree Fudge (A Fudge Shop Mystery #1)
Rick Mofina is a former journalist and an award-winning author of several acclaimed thrillers. His reporting has put him face-to-face with murderers on death row in Montana and Texas. He has covered a horrific serial-killing case in California and an armored car-heist in Las Vegas, flown over Los Angeles with the LAPD Air Support Division and gone on patrol with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police n ...more
More about Rick Mofina...
Cold Fear Six Seconds The Panic Zone (Jack Gannon #2) Vengeance Road (Jack Gannon #1) The Burning Edge