Start by marking “When a Heart Stops” as Want to Read:
When a Heart Stops

When a Heart Stops (Deadly Reunions #2)

4.36  ·  Rating Details ·  1,946 Ratings  ·  166 Reviews
A beautiful young medical examiner joins forces with an FBI agent to stop a serial killer--before she becomes his next victim.
Published October 1st 2012 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published April 10th 2012)

Hannah
Gracious! Nothing like having two different villains after you at the same time, and one right in your back yard, and never even getting the chance to take a good breath in between the threats.

This one will leave you breathless and ready to grab the next book to see what was in the package. Don't read these out of order!
Michelle
Nerve-wracking and anxiety provoking are two terms that best describe this suspense novel. I can easily see this book as a horror movie in the theaters because of the serial killer theme. The plot was downright creepy and had me guessing through most of the novel, though I'm proud to say I had an inkling that ended up being dead on (pardon the pun.) I thought it was cool how the characters often prayed when needed and I ended up feeling really bad for those poor victims. Also, the faith thread s ...more
Jodie
Oct 07, 2012 Jodie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Serena Hopkins is used to seeing death as a medical examiner, but with the latest autopsy being a murder and realizing she knew the victim, being a medical examiner suddenly isn’t the same. Especially, when the bodies keep coming and they all seem to be from her high school class. With the killer intent on getting the package that Serena has, will she be the next victim?

What an intense second book in Lynette Eason’s Deadly Reunion series. I really enjoyed the first book in the series because it
Loren
Oct 11, 2012 Loren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found author Lynette Eason, and her books, just last year and she Immediately became one of my FAVORITE AUTHORS! So it is safe to say - if she has a book out, I WILL BE READING IT! She has YET to disappoint me!

I don't know many authors that can write a book that can cause you to be totally creeped out and then turn around and share such a sweet romance. The twists and turns will have you turning the pages as quickly as you can with great anticipation of what's next! Lynette Eason has such a gi
Melanie
Mar 10, 2012 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3HTPGI0...
Review on my blog: http://christianbookshelfreviews.blog...

When a Heart Stops is only the second book I've read by Lynette Eason, but it's enough for me to know that she is now one of my favorite authors! I LOVE a good suspense book that keeps me guessing and wondering who is behind it all...well this book definitely gave me that! Even though I had kind of guessed who the killer was, there were a lot of surprises!

I loved how we got to lea
Loraine
Spunky and outgoing, nothing much bothers medical examiner Serena Hopkins--except for the thought of falling in love again. But when a serial killer is picking off her former classmates, Serena's life becomes intertwined with her old high school crush, FBI agent Dominic Allen. Is the secret she's keeping putting her next on the killer's hit list? Can she trust Dominic with the truth before it's too late?
Intense, emotional, and fast-paced, "When a Heart Stops" will have readers up late as they ra
Nov 23, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Deadly Reunion series, and it picks up right where the first one left off, continuing the mystery of where Jillian has been hiding and who is trying to find her while adding a chase to find a serial killer who seems to be after Serena, Jillian's friend and the town's medical examiner. With her childhood crush back in the picture, they must work together to keep Jillian's secret and their lives.

This book has an even faster pace than the first book in the series, and
Casey
Aug 31, 2012 Casey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh the bodies are dropping! I think there must have been another murder every twenty pages and there really isn’t much time to do a whole lot of gawking with this novel.

I’m not a blood and guts kind of girl, I’d rather reader a romance over a murder, so when I read a murder, I take them suspenseful. If you’re going to creep me out…then. creep. me. out. I think this novel didn’t a pretty fair job of that task. The balance between murder and romance was pretty well level, though it did tip a bit h
Charity U
Mar 10, 2012 Charity U rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What a great sequel to When the Smoke Clears! Serena, a Medical Examiner, is a wonderful heroine, full of energy and brilliance – yeah, she’s smart. A terrible, ruthless killer, a handsome young man, and more all come together to fill this book with electrifying action and suspense, along with a heart-warming thread of romance. And the cover! Absolutely hands-down amazing. I love it, and have ever since I saw it. One thing I learned from this book…I’ll never become a Medical Examiner. I can ...more
Christian Fiction Addiction
Lynette Eason's first book in her "Deadly Reunions Series", When the Smoke Clears, was one of my favourite romantic suspense novels in 2012, so I have been greatly looking forward to getting my hands on the next installment.

When A Heart Stops was everything I hoped for and more! I found it to be a mesmerizing read, one that sizzled with suspense and had me devouring the pages at top speed. Serena Hopkins is a fabulous character, a strong woman who confidently moves in her world of being a medic
Aerykah
This book is amazing! I started it Saturday afternoon and finished it Sunday night. Once I started reading, I had the hardest time making myself put the book down for any reason. It's even better than book one (When the Smoke Clears) and I can't wait to read book 3 (When a Secret Kills)!!
Linda
Oct 08, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The heading on Lynette Eason's Infinite Suspense website says "Welcome. . .to the edge of your seat!" That pretty much nails it! She became a must-read suspense author for me two years ago with her Women of Justice series and only solidified that status with this Deadly Reunion series. When a Heart Stops is another must-read, but I must warn you: don't plan to read it in small snatches because you will not be able to put it down! The main character, Serena, has appeared as the medical examiner i ...more
Sarita
You know a book is good when you try to sleep, but all you are thinking is, what happened, who did it, when can I read more to find out! Lynette Eason has written another great, fast paced, page turning suspense!

Again there were two story lines:

1 - The Doll Maker Killer plot: Someone is copying the MO of the doll maker killer, girls are going missing and turning up dead. Serena is on the case as the medical examiner and Dominic is the FBI Agent leading this case. Again, it felt like I was in an
Wendy Sparkes
#2 Deadly Reunions

Another fantastic, heart-thrilling (not to mention heart-chilling in places!) read!

Definitely a series to be read in order as they follow on quite closely and have a thread tying them all together. Now looking forward to getting hold of #3 to see how it all ends up!

#1 When the Smoke Clears (Deadly Reunions, #1) by Lynette Eason #2 When a Heart Stops (Deadly Reunions, #2) by Lynette Eason #3 When a Secret Kills (Deadly Reunions, #3) by Lynette Eason
Glenn
Aug 07, 2016 Glenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good story... did think I knew the killer, but was only half right... good twists and turns in this story...
Candy
Mar 15, 2012 Candy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this second book in the series. Can't wait to start on book three.
pamela kroese
Mar 14, 2017 pamela kroese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intense, Unpredictable, and exciting!!

Typical Eason style,this book kept me up late not wanting to put it down! It's twists and turns require attention to understand the amazing individual final story line! Now on to the final book & the complete picture of all 3 books!
Victor Gentile
Oct 05, 2012 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lynette Eason in her new book, “When a Heart Stops” Book Two in her Deadly Reunions series published by Revell takes us into the life of Serena Hopkins.

From the Back Cover: A killer’s deadly game needs new players . . . but someone’s about to change the rules

As a medical examiner, Serena Hopkins is used to dealing with death. But that doesn’t make it any easier when she’s called to the eerie scene of a murder–especially when Serena realizes that she knows the victim. Nearly as unnerving is the p
Marian Baay
Sep 19, 2012 Marian Baay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

In this second book in the Deadly Reunion Series we meet Serena—Alexia’s friend. If you have read the first book then you have met Alexia.

Serena is a medical examiner and close friends with Alexia and Jillian—we read about them in the first book When the Smoke Clears. On their graduation night Jillian had seen something that was so awful that she had to flee town. Her friends didn’t know where she went, or if she was still alive.
Now it is ten years later. Jillian has contacted Serena an
Kaylea
There are days, I'm glad Lynette Eason wasn't on my high school reunion committee.

Her imaginative plans, provide a chilling and suspenseful foundation for the Deadly Reunion trilogy.

In the second book in the series, Eason continues the story of three friends - Serena, Jillian and Alexia, 10 years after their high school graduation. This novel focuses on the life of Serena - now a medical examiner.

When a serial killer begins to pick off former classmates - and then begins to target her - Serena H
April
Feb 03, 2014 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
3 1/2 Stars
This book has me conflicted. Torn between the things I liked about the book and those that bothered me. First off, Eason does a wonderful job at keeping you in suspense and guessing till the end. You will have a list of suspects and one of them might be right but you won't piece it together till the end. That is something I really like about her books. However, both books started off kind of slow, not boring but just not gripping. Just shy of half way through though the intensity of t
Cindy
Oct 09, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Medical Examiner Serena Hopkins awakens to someone inside her home, and they are looking for something. She knows what they want, it is the package her friend , Jillian sent her. What she does not realize that, this is just the beginning. Dead class mates show up with gifts left on them and poorly written poems. Copycat murders, following the MO and patterns of the Doll Maker Killer. What is frightening is that all of the people who have been found dead are class mates of Serena's.

Dominic Allen
Sep 22, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: WHEN A HEART STOPS
Author: Lynette Eason
Publisher: Revell
October 2011
ISBN: 978-0-8007-2008-7
Genre: suspense

Medical examininer, Serena Hopkins, is used to handling dead bodies, but the serial killer seems to be targeting women in her graduating class of high school. Not only that, but the person wants something Serena has. But she holds that secret close to her heart.

FBI agent Dominic Allen is home on medical leave and when the body count begins and starts rising, he asks to be assigned to
Faye
Mar 10, 2012 Faye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A chilling read that will steal your sleep!

A methodical killer is on the loose, leaving mysterious packages that send chilling messages, will Serena and Dominic be able to catch the killer before it's too late?

When a Heart Stops is the creepy (in a good way) sequel to Lynette Eason's thillingly suspenseful romance When the Smoke Clears, and the mystery continues.

The only reason I believe that I had a tough time getting into the story at first was because it had been a while since I had read the
Oct 20, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-challenges
This one was just as good as the first one. Thanks to NCIS I could picture what Serena was doing on the autopsies. As the autopsy room is not a favorite of mine I was glad the book didn't focus on that though. I enjoyed both Serena & Dominique & was glad we got to know both of them better. Both were featured briefly in the first book.

possible (view spoiler)
My Book Addiction and More MBA
WHEN A HEART STOPS by Lynette Eason is an intriguing and suspenseful inspirational romantic suspense. It is Book #2 in the "Deadly Reunions" series,but can be read as a stand alone. See, " When The Smoke Clears". When you match a medical examiner,Serena Hopkins with an FBI agent Dominic Allen you can only expect heart-pumping results. What an emotional ride these two will take you on as they try to find a serial killer before it is too late. With secrets,romance,faith,love,murder,emotions runnin ...more
Grace
Jun 13, 2013 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And . . . the brilliant plot from When The Smoke Clears continues with head-on thrill in this story!

The plot is genius. The characters are authentic. The romance is light and cute. And the stakes are high.
REALLY high.
In this continuation from the first story (When The Smoke Clears), it takes off from the first sentence. The burglar knows her name. He's looking for something.
Something that she's not willing to release her loyal grasp on, even though she has no idea what it is.
Medical Examin
Larik
Wow!!
It is an amazing, captivating series. It is full of long lasting, all trusting and all sacrificing love, professional killers, and a complete 911 detail (fire department, lab, morgue, and of course police and FBI). You suspect and trust everyone never realizing that the killer is someone very close to them.
Each woman--Alexa, Serena, and Jillian-- were unique and had their own story to tell but together they form such a great task force it stills all your attention.

You cant just read one boo
Marion
Alicia
I've really got to stop reading Lynnette Eason books at night. For one thing, these murder stories are spine-chilling and the villains are positively creepy (especially in this one). Secondly, they're way too good to stop reading after just one chapter! Once again, she completely surprised me with who the killer was and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Besides the suspense, I loved the romance aspect of it too (clean and sweet). I couldn't put it down!
  • Lethal Legacy (Guardians of Justice, #3)
  • Firethorn (Discarded Heroes, #4)
  • Shattered (Alaskan Courage, #2)
  • Attracted to Fire
  • Protection for Hire (Protection for Hire, #1)
  • Abducted (Pacific Coast Justice, #2)
  • Scorned Justice (Men of the Texas Rangers, #3)
  • Hidden Agenda (Southern Crimes, #3)
Lynette Eason grew up in Greenville, SC. She graduated from the University of South Carolina, Columbia, and then obtained her masters in education from Converse College. Author of twenty inspirational romantic suspense books, she is also a member of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) and Romance Writers of America (RWA). In 1996, Lynette married "the boy next door" and now she and her husba ...more
More about Lynette Eason...

Deadly Reunions (3 books)
  • When the Smoke Clears (Deadly Reunions, #1)
  • When a Secret Kills (Deadly Reunions, #3)

“God can do amazing things if his people will take the time to pray about them.” 6 likes
“Isaiah 40:31?” She closed her eyes and quoted, “‘But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” 0 likes