Start by marking “The Forgotten Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Forgotten Daughter

The Forgotten Daughter

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Chloe, the young daughter of a noble Roman man, has been lost to her father, and has spent her life unknown to him, as a slave on one of his own villas. Cruelly treated, and with no hope of freedom, her only escape is into the stories of her Grecian mother's home town of Eresos, as told to her by Melissa, a fellow-slave and her mother's dearest friend.

Aulus, a brave young
Published June 1st 1933 by Doubleday (first published January 1st 1933)

To ask other readers questions about The Forgotten Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forgotten Daughter

molly
This was my number one book from ages 8-13. It has everything you need, including alot of swinging across rapids on a hanging vine while wearing a diaphanous chiton. So good!
Theresa
**Spoilers** The main character is "The Forgotten Daughter". The plot starts with her mother who is captured by the Romans, she ends up falling in love and marrying one of the officers. The husband is called away to Rome by his father, and during that time the mother along with her daughter are thrown out of the main house. The mother ends up dying, and to prevent the daughter from being sold off she is taken by a faithful servant, and raised in the forest. Years later the daughter meets a young ...more
Amanda
Interesting setting (ancient Rome), but I found the story a little hard to follow. In the middle of the story the focus shifted from Melissa and Chloe to their neighbor Aulus, a Roman citizen. Aulus, in Rome, gets caught up in a violent political debate. A lot of new characters with similar names are introduced and it was a little hard to keep track. The story was told in the 3rd person so I found it harder to relate to the characters. The author made a couple interesting comments about Rome at ...more
Ann aka Iftcan
I remember first reading this book as a kid. My Dad was in the Navy, and we were stationed in Greece for 3 years. While there, I read everything I could get my hands on that was set in ancient Greece, Egypt and Rome.

This is a good, solid story with believeable characters. The historical facts and characters read "real"--and are accurate. It gives a feel for what life must have been like in the Roman world.
Jen
Despite the moderate star rating I gave this book, it's one of my all-time favorite "comfort" books — the kind you read strictly because you're a sap. I was lucky enough to grab a copy of the hardback edition when it was withdrawn from my junior-high library! The spine is in pieces now, but the words are intact. It looks like it was released in paperback a few years ago, but is out-of-print again.
Riley Mooney
I truly had a hard time getting into this book. I am not sure if it was because the way it is written or I just wasn’t too interested. The Forgotten Daughter is a good insight of what the Roman and Greek culture was like. Chloe lives a very interesting life. I did enjoy reading about Chloe’s adventures and was anxious to see what was going to happen next to her. She does learn to forgive her father and finds her true love. I do not strongly recommend this book compared to some of my other readin ...more
Courtney
I love all things Rome. The only downside to this book was the author's social commentary and too much historical detail that really didn't have much to do with her plot. Otherwise, it was cute.
Barefootinthedirt
Jul 09, 2008 Barefootinthedirt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: favorites
My favorite book of all time.

This novel gives readers a view of greek life and ideals, though stretches the imagination a little. It's the story that every little girl imagines for her life.
Val
I loved this book as a kid. It's one that has stuck with me throughout the years. I first read this book many years ago, It along with "Black Beauty" were my favorite books. I read this book so many times, that my copy doesn't have the pages at the beginning or the end of the book. I let my daughters read it but of course neither one of them really cared for the book, they thought it was a little slow (well to each her own) nonetheless I love this book. In many ways it was very sad at times. I t ...more
Wayne S.
Chloe is a teenage girl who lives with her guardian Melissa in a cottage on a country estate of the ancient Roman Republic. Her mother, also named Chloe, was a Greek from the island of Eresos. The older Chloe had been captured, along with her servant Melissa, by the Roman conquerer Laevinus, who married her and fathered Chloe. However, all her life the young Chloe has been told that her father abandoned her mother, causing her death. She and Melissa are treated as slaves whose work is to spin wo ...more
Chenai
I have to get this book & read it again. I haven't read it since I was around 8. But is has never left my memory. I googled "ancient Rome, slave girl, childrens book" to find the title again. I just remember I found a dusty old copy at my grandmother's house & I'd read it all the time. Will order soon & update my review.
LuAnn
An excellent book that conveys both a flavor of ancient Greece and republican Rome. Includes Tiberius Gracchus' fight in the Senate for small farmers as well as the poetry of Greece. The writing is descriptive and poetic, yet not overdone with an exciting plot.
VAReckman
most amazing story I've read in a long time! I just love everything! the arthurs way of writing, not a super heavy read, loved the storyline and historicalness of it!! really good read!
Jean
I really tried but could not get into this one.
Mckinley
As well in the end for a 'forgotten' daughter treated as a slave at a farm outside Rome during the Roman days.

Newbery Honor (1934)
Josiphine
Jul 12, 2014 Josiphine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Rosemary Sutcliff and Mara, Daughter of the Nile
I'm wibbling between three and four stars.

On the three-starred-hand is the fact that 1930s sap is here in abundance, that it was sadly predictable, the little pointless side-trip in the middle of the book, and there was no tragic ending. (It needed one.)

On the four-starred-hand is Snedeker's lovely writing, her engaging story-line, and fascinating setting. (And I love the way she wrote about slaves--very historically rather than politically correct. Hooray for that!)

What think you?
JoAnn
I read this book too many years ago to mention and every now and then something calls it back to mind. At that age I was fascinated by all things Greek and Roman and that is how the story caught my eye, but beyond that it is a wonderful story, well told.

I remember not knowing how to pronounce the name Chloe.
Rachel
I loved this book as a kid. It's one that stuck with me through out the years (I even named my daughter after the main character). I need to order a copy off of amazon for my kids; I'd like to see what they think about it.
Michele
Thanks Andrea.
I was really impressed with the clarity of the writing, the historical accuracy and the overall impressions the book gave me of being there, experiencing Greece and Rome.
Renee' Landry
I read this book in elementary school and have read it at least once every other year since. Something about this book is very beautiful, like it's the original fairy tale.
Collette Violette
Old YA historical fiction. Interesting and more engaging than I thought. I've never read much about this kind of early Roman life.
Mikie
This book is about a young slave girl whose father happen to be her master. This story tells how she went from nothing to something.
Imogene (Gene)
Good book for young adult and older. It has drama, love, adventure, and a glimpse into the days of Rome.
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Arielle Hamilton
Arielle Hamilton marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Ashlee Vanasse
Ashlee Vanasse marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
  • Sugaring Time
  • The Noonday Friends
  • The Silver Pencil
  • Minn of the Mississippi
Theras and His Town Downright Dencey (Young Adult Library) A Triumph For Flavius The White Isle The Spartan