The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings

The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  460 ratings  ·  32 reviews
This new edition of Bart Ehrman's highly successful introduction approaches the New Testament from a consistently historical and comparative perspective, emphasizing the rich diversity of the earliest Christian literature. Rather than shying away from the critical problems presented by these books, Ehrman addresses the historical and literary challenges they pose and shows...more
Paperback
Published October 7th 1999 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1996)

Huyen
Jan 20, 2010 Huyen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: people who think the best way to attack Christianity is its history
Recommended to Huyen by: Matt Molloy
One of my friends once said Christianity was a great idea, unfortunately, Jesus' disciples made it into a religion. I was never sure if I could agree with him. One thing to take away from this book, like other books by Ehrman, is that once you look critically into the historical stuff about Jesus and what he actually said and did, not what others interpreted him to say, things aren't as romantic as moralists or philosophers (not to mention theologians) would like us to think.

Unlike what most pe...more
Thomas
The chosen textbook for many History of the NT classes, and it's easy to see why. The primary strength of the book is its clarity, which is not easy to achieve in this subject area. Ehrman is careful not to stray into theological arguments, but when the historical context makes it impossible to avoid, he describes the conflict without taking sides. The result is a clear presentation of the history that avoids controversy. Of course there are historical disputes in addition to theological ones, b...more
Mike Hankins
If you search for Bart Ehrman on Amazon, you'll find not only a prolific author, but one that is the cause of an intense amount of controversey. The comments pages of his book listings overflow with venomous diatribes. Some seminaries consider his name a curse word. And some of that is deserved. Ehrman has devoted much of his work to discrediting or even maligning Christianity, but this book should not be considered part of that body. Rather, this is a fairly old book, written before Ehrman beca...more
Kevin
Finally! After starting this book over two years ago, and after several pauses in the reading, i've finished it!

This is an extremely well written and researched book that I recommend to anyone interested in the history of what is considered to be the Christian New Testament. The historical and literary methods used by Dr. Ehrman are fascinating. I am left amazed by the vast number and significance of facts and history related to the Early Christian writings that are never discussed in the domin...more
Jacob Aitken
now this one is fairly bad, but bad in an intriguing way. He laughably holds to the long-refuted Wredian thesis. Thirdly, he fails to engage Tom Wright or GB Caird on the points where the specifically challenge and overthrow Ehrman's thesis. He is aware that NT Wright has completely ravaged his thesis, but it doesn't bother him.

Some of the chapters on Gnosticism are interesting and helpful. He does go out of his way to show that certain historical details could not have happened. For example, he...more
BHodges
Ehrman has a way with words when discussing difficult or sometimes boring issues. This book is an excellent introduction to the New Testament from a historical perspective. Granted, Ehrman could have spent a little more time discussing differences among various interpreters and scholars. To keep the pace going he usually skates through a few rather hotly-debated issues by noting that they are hotly debated, then moving on. As an intro text, though, this is probably to be expected. His suggestion...more
Nil
Indispensible. I never would have read the New Testament without it!
Ira Therebel
It is a great book to introduce someone to the history of the New Testament. It is written from the neutral point of view, the author doesn't claim that there is God nor that there isn't. He just talks about history so it may be interesting for religious people just as Christians.

It discusses several books of the Bible and analyzes them using different methods while looking at the historical context, the development of Christianity at that time and the sources that might have been used. It was v...more
Theodora
Jul 26, 2008 Theodora rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone interested in the New Testament
Recommended to Theodora by: Elaine Pagels
Overall a good introduction to the New Testament. The stuff about Aramaic letters vs. Greek letters are very important, as was the discussion about Jesus' progression to God. Although I think Jesus was a prophet, and maybe an apocalyptic prophet, I think there is a balance between the sweetness of his teaching and the apocalyptic message. I don't think Jesus associated with sinners because they were the ones who had committed the most terrible offensives.
Cassandra Sabako
All in all, a satisfactory introduction to the historical analysis of the New Testament. Ehrman is consistent in his agenda (and he DOES have one), but it usually leaves you with wanting to know more. This book sets the groundwork for further investigation. The exercises at the end of each chapter are thought provoking, if you're reading this for a class, and the bibliography is perfect for when you want to search down some more answers.
John
Designed as a text for Dr. Ehrman's seminary students, the book is imminately readable and informative. I was fascinated to see that Ehrman assumes his students know nothing about the scriptures except the myths delivered in Sunday School. For anyone who is curious about the 'holy' Christian scriptures, Dr. Ehrman is indeed a must read.
Would suggest if you haven't read Ehrman a good start is MISQUOTING JESUS.
Brett
I had read an early, academic book by Ehrman before and I thoroughly enjoyed the argument (scribes altered biblical texts to argue a specific philosophy). I would have had a deeper understanding of that text had I read this one first. It is written at an easy to read level and covers both canonical and non-canonical works but superficially covers the divisions that came in the first and second centuries.
Mauberley
Although the book's layout resembles an extended 'Think and Do' page from a Saturday newspaper, Ehrman's learning and powers of exposition make this an excellent introduction to contemporary liberal scholarship. Those who hold to scriptural inerrancy may be puzzled or troubled by Ehrman's approach but for this reader, he is a fine guide to the books that lie at the heart of a Christian's faith.
Curtis
Ehrman's quality as a scholar and this books valuable information unfortunately pale in comparison to his juvenile sense of humor and his seminary nerdiness that pervade every chapter of this book. I just finished this and all I can recall are his awkward jokes and jabs directed at the unknowing Christian masses of undergrad students that he has to deal with in his classes.
Kristin
Jun 12, 2008 Kristin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kristin by: New Testament prof, University of Washington (required reading)
I loved this book. Ehrman, who teaches at UNC, apparently started out as an Evangelical fundamentalist Christian and through studying theology came to be an agnostic. For someone like me, who grew up in church but is still searching for answers, and who also really likes secrets, I was appreciative of his careful historian's perspective and open mind.
while this, like any other book that attempts to give the most "accurate" presentation of the bible, is also just another historian's interpretation, i enjoyed reading it immensely and felt it made valuable and plausible insights. best when read in conjunction with an opposing point of view (john dominic crossan is a good choice)
William T.
An awesome text; easy reading yet with enough details and bibliographical notes to start you on a full-bore study. It really made me wanna learn Greek!

I read it while going through a podcast New Testament course at Yale (I believe the instructor was Dr Dale Martin). The book and course are great!
Leann
Any serious student of the Bible would be well-advised to begin with this classic textbook of the New Testament's historic beginnings. absolutely fascinating, Bart Ehrman is a great professor and writer--must read for Divinity students and novices alike.
Eric
Interesting introduction to the New Testament. Looks at the book from a historical approach, mixed with some literary criticism, and socio-cultural perspectives. An engaging textbook style introduction to "the book" of Western civilization.
Heather
A very good book and one that I would highly recommend, especially to biblical literalists. I learned quite a lot from reading it. It's a good introduction to studying the New Testament from a historical perspective.
Budducci
Fascinating lecture series. I found this incredibly interesting, particularly the lecture on Revelation, in which Bart explained the origin of the Whore of Babylon and the number 666.
Anthony Cox
A nice objective book on biblical history.
Todd
I read an early draft of this book when I took his class in the mid 90's. Excellent.
Lee
Read this!! Trust me will have you debating your Preachers!
Mari
Interesting--for what it is... Lots of information.
Stacy Parrish
Aug 18, 2007 Stacy Parrish rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone
One can never question their world too much.
Gabrielle Carolina
Great textbook, read it cover to cover.
Brian
May 24, 2012 Brian is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The next book in our Theology class.
Dyani
Informative and easy to read.
  • An Introduction to the New Testament
  • The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption & Restoration
  • Who Wrote the New Testament? The Making of the Christian Myth
  • Backgrounds of Early Christianity
  • The New Oxford Annotated Bible, New Revised Standard Version
  • Jesus: A Revolutionary Biography
  • The First Paul: Reclaiming the Radical Visionary Behind the Church's Conservative Icon
  • The Quest of the Historical Jesus
  • The Scandalous Gospel of Jesus: What's So Good About the Good News?
  • The Works of Josephus
  • Rabbi Jesus: An Intimate Biography
  • A History of the End of the World: How the Most Controversial Book in the Bible Changed the Course of Western Civilization
  • HarperCollins Study Bible - Student Edition: Fully Revised & Updated (New Revised Standard Version)
  • American Jesus: How the Son of God Became a National Icon
  • The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts
  • The Nag Hammadi Library in English
  • Darsan: Seeing the Divine Image in India
  • Jewish Annotated New Testament-NRSV
Bart D. Ehrman is the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor at the University of North Carolina (UNC) at Chapel Hill. He came to UNC in 1988, after four years of teaching at Rutgers University. At UNC he has served as both the Director of Graduate Studies and the Chair of the Department of Religious Studies.

A graduate of Wheaton College (Illinois), Professor Ehrman received both his Masters of Div...more
More about Bart D. Ehrman...
Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible (and Why We Don't Know About Them) Lost Christianities: The Battles for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question-Why We Suffer Forged: Writing in the Name of God