Start by marking “Do More, Spend Less: The New Secrets of Living the Good Life for Less” as Want to Read:
Do More, Spend Less: The New Secrets of Living the Good Life for Less

Do More, Spend Less: The New Secrets of Living the Good Life for Less

2.9 of 5 stars 2.90  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Achieve stellar savings with the techniques used on

"Do More, Spend Less" provides tips, advice, real-world examples, and strategies consumers need to know to compete in the consumer world. Author Brad Wilson, founder of, explains the techniques and buying strategies that are used on his site, which have saved 19 million consumers more than $20
Published January 14th 2013 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about Do More, Spend Less, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do More, Spend Less

In the spirit of the content titles ("How I spent weeks at one of the nicest hotels in the world for $20 (Or how to turn award points into $54,000)"), the surely-inevitable second edition should contain the following extra chapter: "How I repackaged the free blog content into a book and paid for a heavily discounted diesel BMW SUV with the proceeds."

Unfortunately, most of the book is highly anecdotal, much of it telling of deals that no longer exist, as if we are supposed to read
An interesting book, but there's too many examples of how the author did some extreme maneuvering to get free airline miles. I prefer books to have some personal examples but more practical advice. In fact, the main maneuver described to get free airline miles (ordering coins from the mint and then depositing them in the bank on a credit card)isn't available because the mint got bad publicity from people doing exactly what the author did.
This was a lot more memoir and less how-to than I expected from the title and from the author. His focus was on the exploits of the various company reward systems available for personal gain. Think of this as the next generation of the "pudding guy" - the guy who figured out the frequent flyer miles being offered on pudding boxes was worth more than the pudding. Wilson obviously loves this, using dozens of credit cards to rack up hundreds of thousands of dollars in purchases of.....dollar coins, ...more
If you are familiar with the site then you know about this book. He really goes into a lot of detail on how he makes programs and points work for him. Many of the ideas are still viable and it's a great resource if you are have an expensive trip to plan or are fairly inexperienced in the online shopping world.
A library copy was fine for me but there were several great tips that would have easily justified the purchase.
Mar 25, 2013 Brian rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Fascinating stuff, some of which I think I will find very useful. However, it seems like a lot of the programs he mentions are quickly reforming themselves to make it harder to do things like he describes, especially the hotel rewards programs. Even some of his car buying hacks, though they still work, are more expensive than when he wrote about them. So, a useful book, but I'm not sure how long it will be useful for.
Jared Bryson
Great book. The author has clearly mastered the art of living well on a shoe-string budget.

He reviews all sorts of ways one can earn free airline miles and hotel points. He details all of the deals he leveraged to send he and his wife to Europe and Australia for almost nothing.

His key - simply leveraging all of the deals available on the web to your advantage.

A great read - very enjoyable.
Gina Lincicum
Very frustrated by this book. It was published this year but references old deals and offers that there's no way to replicate now. The landscape has changed too much. The only thing I took away from it was to compare credit card offers (cash vs. miles vs. points) when you're planning to travel in order to cash in for free airline tickets.
This book is good if you already have a good cash flow. Not if you are broke and are looking at ways to save money.

I paused to appreciate the moment. We were flying in international first class to a five-star hotel, enjoying a no-expense-spared two-and-a-half week European vacation with the finest services and amenities. The trip, had we paid cash, would have cost more than $50,000. Our cost? Zero.
What a life! I just knew I had to tell everyone else how they could live this way.

Of course, the trip wasn't only free if you ignore the costs involved in collecting enough airline miles, the taxes and fees that
Disappointed. Poor book. The author let you know how he saved money, almost like a diary with pictures of the deals he got but all are "old" tips and the deals he used are all "expired".
Luckily I didn't buy this book, got a copy from the library. Sorry but it's a waste of time reading such a book.
This was an interesting book on saving money while living well by the creator of the website Brad's Deals. Brad has chapters on travel, shopping, personal finance, etc. His travel chapter was pretty interesting. He's been able to score some amazing trips/travel deals by maximizing frequent flyer miles and reward programs and working towards elite status with various airlines/hotel chains. Some of the things he's tried would not be for the faint at heart (like buying U.S. mint coins via credit ca ...more
It was easy enough to read, but a lot of his ideas are outdated and only work if you have a very flexible work schedule. I've taken his advice that's still relevant, however, and will see what schemes I can come up with a-la-Brad.
Sheryl Tribble
Way too much bragging -- I'm good with egotistical authors (I like John T. Molloy!), but in this case the author is bragging about stuff the reader can't do, in a book that's supposed to be tips on how to live well cheaply. Bah.

I found only one bit of useful info in this book, although I admittedly didn't read it cover to cover or with a lot of attention. I also did not like that a lot of the info that isn't out of date is ways to cheat the system -- getting access to coupon codes that don't app
Not very helpful, basically bragging on the things he did to earn miles, opportunities which aren't available today. Quick read though wish I hadn't bought it.
Jeff Smith
Did cool stuff, wrote a boring book. Especially for those outside the US as it seems very US-centric.
TheRLPL Rice Lake Public Library
Patron Review:
The author has some pretty smart and creative tips for both saving and making money. These are a few I might try.
Not helpful for someone like me with little or no money. It's more for those who can afford to travel frequently or able to buy technology,homes,cars, etc. The only half dozen or so pages worth it are about how credit unions are better than banks, but I knew that already and only have accounts at credit unions.
Yes, most of these deals are no longer achievable, but I did appreciate learning to rethink the game a bit.
Basically, this book is an advertisement for how Brad gets stuff for free. There's not a lot of terribly exciting strategies to be shared.
Michele A.
Because of my blindness, I had this book read to me. I have read other books on the subject that had more practical suggestions.
Christa Maurice
Yay, a whole book advertising the author's website and newsletter! Just what I was hoping for!
Elizabeth Moore
Loved it great tricks of the trade to get travel and items for less thanks Brad!
Sarah Li Cain
Sarah Li Cain marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
  • Pocket Your Dollars: 5 Attitude Changes That Will Help You Pay Down Debt, Avoid Financial Stress, & Keep More of What You Make
  • From Ramen To Riches: Building Wealth In Your 20s, Or Spending, Saving, Investing And Managing Your Money To Get Rich Slowly, But Surely
  • The Tao of Now: Daily Wisdom from Mystics, Sages, Poets, and Saints
  • Thrifty: Living the Frugal Life with Style
  • Stay Calm And Content : No Matter What Life Throws At You
  • Love Your Skin: Expert Skin Care Secrets Exposed
  • From Word to Kindle: Self Publishing Your Kindle Book with Microsoft Word, or Tips and Secrets for Formatting Your Text in MS Word and Converting Your Document to a Kindle Ebook (Version 2)
  • A Life of Being, Having, and Doing Enough
  • Saved: How I Quit Worrying About Money and Became the Richest Guy in the World
  • Show Dog: The Charmed Life and Trying Times of a Near-Perfect Purebred
  • Cheaper, Better, Faster: Over 2,000 Tips and Tricks to Save You Time and Money Every Day
  • Triathlon Anatomy
  • Money Secrets of the Amish: Finding True Abundance in Simplicity, Sharing, and Saving
  • Jason Lizzy and the Snowman Village
  • The Art of Trapeze: One Woman's Journey of Soaring, Surrendering, and Awakening (Awakening Consciousness Series, #1)
  • Living In The Real Cyprus
  • A Good Kind of Knowing
  • Cardmaking and More Scrapbooking
Wild Life Irritable Bowel Syndrome: IBS Explained: Achieve Relief from Irritable Bowel Syndrome Symptoms through Diet Therapy and Natural Treatments (Natural treatments, ... and nutritional supplements to cure IBS) The Insomnia Cure: Sleep Problems Explained and How to Use Natural Sleep Treatments to Solve Sleep Problems for Life (How to cure sleep problems and insomnia) Stress Management Techniques: Simple, Natural Stress-Reducing Methods to Cure your Anxiety and Stress (stress relief, stress reduction, stress advice, ... anxiety management, anxiety self help) Candida Cure Simplified: Candida Symptoms Explained and How to Cure Candida in 90 Days with Diet and Natural Treatments (Candida Diet, Candida free)