Start by marking “Change Leadership: A Practical Guide to Transforming Our Schools” as Want to Read:
Change Leadership: A Practical Guide to Transforming Our Schools

Change Leadership: A Practical Guide to Transforming Our Schools

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The Change Leadership Group at the Harvard School of Education has, through its work with educators, developed a thoughtful approach to the transformation of schools in the face of increasing demands for accountability. This book brings the work of the Change Leadership Group to a broader audience, providing a framework to analyze the work of school change and exercises th ...more
Published June 28th 2012 by Jossey-Bass (first published December 2nd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Change Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Change Leadership

Jeff
The instructional leadership team at my school has used this book this past year as a tool for exploring our work and the changes we need to make. It has functioned as a powerful mechanism for us to examine where we are as a school and where we are headed. It offers practical advice for creating true learning communities that are aimed at educating all of the our children for our society and economy. At the heart of the book is a dual focus on both the individual changes that adults must make to ...more
Kelley
I've wanted to read this book for a few years. Sadly, I was quite disappointed with it. While there are some intriguing aspects about different ways to approach change, I was largely unimpressed. The single most interesting concept was discussing how the change leader can actually hinder the change process. Otherwise, this wasn't very interesting or well presented. I even found the anecdotes hard to follow and uninteresting to read about. I missed the boat on this one.
Ryan
I do not like all of the books I read for graduate school but this one was well-written, well-formatted, and very informative. The author clearly understands the school improvement process and makes allowances for the indiscrete nature of the exigent problems facing schools (I didn't intend to write such a hoity sentence, apologies). But this is a textbook, and as much as textbooks are their own form of fiction, I can't give more than 3 stars - even though it is a great book!
Anthony A
This is an excellent book for educational leaders, especially the first chapter, which talks about the "perception gap" between universities and public schools/parents. I thoroughly enjoyed working through the Immunity Map, which made me look at something which I was doing that prevented me from being fully committed to school improvement. Highly recommended.
Alabama Best Practices Center
This book is a must for any education leader. It was commissioned by the Gates Foundation and written by faculty from the Harvard Graduate School of Education, led by Tony Wagner. We are using it with our Key Leaders Network and integrating much of what we've learned from this book in other facets of our work. Highly recommended.
Christina
I learned a lot from this book. The 4C's framework for school change is a beneficial model that helped me identify both strengths and areas for growth.
Stephanie Maynard
Great book! I will use this when I begin trying to reinvent Az schools.
MEH
MEH is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2015
Corey Bike
Corey Bike marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Bobbie Wooderson
Bobbie Wooderson marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Donna
Donna is currently reading it
Mar 02, 2015
Laila Chouiekh
Laila Chouiekh marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Tracy Brandon
Tracy Brandon marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Julie Engerran
Julie Engerran marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
kristen
kristen marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Steve Rusch
Steve Rusch marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Chris Murphy
Chris Murphy marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
ckodama152
ckodama152 marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Lyssa
Lyssa marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Tony Wagner recently accepted a position as the first Innovation Education Fellow at the Technology & Entrepreneurship Center at Harvard. Prior to this, he was the founder and co-director of the Change Leadership Group at the Harvard Graduate School of Education for more than a decade.

Tony consults widely to schools, districts, and foundations around the country and internationally. His previo
More about Tony Wagner...
Creating Innovators: The Making of Young People Who Will Change the World The Global Achievement Gap: Why Our Kids Don't Have the Skills They Need for College, Careers, and Citizenship—and What We Can Do About It Making the Grade: Reinventing America's Schools The Global Achievement Gap: Why Even Our Best Schools Don't Teach the New Survival Skills Our Children Need�and What We Can Do About It How Schools Change: Lessons from Three Communities Revisited