Start by marking “The Sex Diaries Project: What We're Saying about What We're Doing” as Want to Read:
The Sex Diaries Project: What We're Saying about What We're Doing

The Sex Diaries Project: What We're Saying about What We're Doing

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In the tradition of "The Vagina Monologues" and "PostSecret," this provocative collection takes a peek behind bedroom doors?satisfying our insatiable desires to look into the private lives of ordinary peopleArianne Cohen spent four years collecting 1,500 Sex Diaries and in this book she takes us on a tantalizing tour of American bedrooms through the all-new, provocative, o ...more
Published December 6th 2011 by John Wiley & Sons (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Sex Diaries Project, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sex Diaries Project

I enjoyed her analysis and the stories as well. It is true, these are things we don't discuss with even our closest friends.

Her categorization of relationship types into three categories gave me some food for thought:

Lover Partner Aspirer

And with those categorizations in mind, I looked at strangers on the street differently for a few days. For instance, as I walked to work one morning, I saw on two different downtown Ann Arbor street corners women handing men to-go cups of coffee. In each case

Informative & insightful, this is a great book to read to gain a better idea about different types of relationships. It might even give you a better idea of your own relationship & what you're looking for. If you enjoy a voreyeistic look into other people's lives you'll likely enjoy this book. There is sex naturally but there is also feelings, worries, hopes, openness and all the other things that are part of our romantic relationships.
One of the most fascinating books of my life. It wasn't so much that I learned a lot about sex, but that I learned a lot about the degree to which it concerns people and the inner mono- and dialogues going on (so I now believe) all around us, a great deal of the time. I'll buy this one day, and I know I'll re-read it.

If you're remotely judgemental about people's sexuality, or put off by diversity, I'd say avoid this book ... except that I'd really like to say, READ IT and learn about the extraor
This book turned out better than I thought it would be. Though it's titled Sex Diaries, it's really about relationships. It seems when people give themselves permission to write about their sex lives they are more open and direct about themselves and their partners.

Some parts of Cohen's analysis of the dairies tend to drag on a little too long, but just feel free to skip what you don't want to read.

If you've been in relationships, I guarantee there will be diary entries you can relate to, and
Quite interesting- it is about relationships really.
After the initial intrigue, this book grew a bit tired for me. Personally, I think it could have been half the length. Good to dip in and out of due to the short diary entries (no person was given more than a few pages for their account), but by the halfway mark I had had enough and wanted it to be over! Some of the later entries actually made me feel uncomfortable, as they were so graphic.
To anyone intrigued like I was... I suggest flicking through but not reading cover-to-cover.
Caitlin Hedberg
I think I learned more about my own relationships and choices from this book than most any other book that is supposed to be about relationships specifically. The first few chapters were a bit painful and boring to read, but that was because of the particular diarists featured and necessary for Arianne's analysis and conclusions that come later. I really appreciated this book's open, honest, and respectful look at human nature and our societies!
I enjoyed parts of this book. I felt like it went on alittle too long and kind of got boring towards the end.
It was also interesting that for a book titled 'The Sex Diaries' there ironically wasn't all that much sex. It was more focused towards people's relationships and their feelings. Which I enjoyed but also would have liked a bit more graphic detail.
All in all. It was a good book just felt that it was a little too long.
This was the first book I read of 2013. I plan to read 24 this year, starting small.
I really enjoyed this book, it gave a very open view into our lives behind closed bedroom doors. I particularly enjoyed her breakdown of relationships into three categories based on how people meet their needs. Overall I think this book is worth reading.
Written by a friend of mine, it's a interesting view into the intimate thoughts and lives of a very diverse group of people. While there are certainly racy sections, as the title suggests, the book is more of a refreshing take on different types of relationships and their priorities. A quick, fun, and interesting read!
I guess I expected this book to be more, well, sexy. It turned out to be a little bit boring. I did find interesting the segments about relationships that end at death. And the material about polyamory was eye-opening. How would I ever know about this?
Insightful conclusions drawn from a variety of diaries, led to some introspection about what motivates my relationship choices, both successful and failed. Great stimulus for discussion on the role of sexuality in one's own life.
Very interesting that our sex diaries are not primarily about sex. I had the opportunity to meet Ms Cohen and she is as articulate and funny and thoughtful as her collection of diaries. Something for everyone.
Cherise Stone
An interesting look into the lives of others. It is more about relationships than sex so don't be fooled by the title!
Liz De Coster
An interesting, behind-the-scenes take at people's private lives and relationships.
Sonya Jones
Sonya Jones is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2015
Kayla Dickensen
Kayla Dickensen marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Monica Schneider
Monica Schneider marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Jess marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Roger Jones
Roger Jones is currently reading it
May 25, 2015
Jamie marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Gillian marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
  • Mermaids 101: Exploring the Magical Underwater World of the Merpeople
  • Sexual Intelligence: What We Really Want from Sex--and How to Get It
  • What Your Mother Never Told You About Sex
  • The Science of Love and Betrayal
  • F 'em!: Goo Goo, Gaga, and Some Thoughts on Balls
  • Smoke Signals: A Social History of Marijuana - Medical, Recreational and Scientific
  • Sex and Punishment: Four Thousand Years of Judging Desire
  • When Sex Goes to School: Warring Views on Sex--and Sex Education--Since the Sixties
  • The Threesome Handbook: Make the Most of Your Favorite Fantasy - the Ultimate Guide for Tri-Curious Singles and Couples
  • Brain Trust: 93 Top Scientists Reveal Lab-Tested Secrets to Surfing, Dating, Dieting, Gambling, Growing Man-Eating Plants, and More!
  • Heart of the City: Nine Stories of Love and Serendipity on the Streets of New York
  • Dirty Minds: How Our Brains Influence Love, Sex, and Relationships
  • The Fate of the Species: Why the Human Race May Cause Its Own Extinction and How We Can Stop It
  • The Great Divorce: a Nineteenth-Century Mother's Extraordinary Fight Against Her Husband, the Shakers, and Her Times
  • The Pleasure's All Mine:  Memoir of a Professional Submissive
  • Devices and Desires: A History of Contraceptives in America
  • Half Baked: The Story of My Nerves, My Newborn, and How We Both Learned to Breathe
  • Why Men Fake It: The Totally Unexpected Truth About Men and Sex
The Tall Book: A Celebration of Life from on High Confessions of a High School Word Nerd: Laugh Your Gluteus* Off and Increase Your SAT Verbal Score Help, It's Broken!: A Fix-It Bible for the Repair-Impaired Anita's Diary - Female Minister, Active Sex Life: The Sex Diaries Project Diane's Diary - The Cheating Couple: The Sex Diaries Project