Start by marking “Chronicle of the Popes: The Reign-by-Reign Record of the Papacy From St. Peter to the Present” as Want to Read:

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  9 reviews
For nearly two thousand years the popes have not only shaped the course of one of the world's great religions but have also played a part—sometimes a dominant part—in the history of Europe. Martyrs, monks, noblemen, Franciscans, Dominicans, hermits, and even unordained laymen have occupied the throne of St. Peter. This book recounts the lives and deeds of the popes from Pe ...more
Published November 17th 1997 by Thames & Hudson (first published November 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Chronicle of the Popes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chronicle of the Popes

GoldGato
When the rains start and the days darken, I love a good history volume, preferably one that doesn't require too much slogging (those are saved for laundry days). This book hit the spot...with a cup of hot chocolate to keep me company, the adventures and politics of centuries of Pontiffs kept me very enthralled indeed. Each biographical account brings the Papacy to life, with historical illustrations and maps included.

The Papacy is the last connection to the Roman Empire, breathing history, so I
Something about the papacy fascinates me, despite my being decidedly not catholic. Perhaps that is why, actually.

Anyway, interesting look at the history of the papacy, starting with St Peter. Drags along in some places, and who knew that so many popes died so quickly, natural causes or otherwise.
booklady
I love this series. If I had the money and space I'd have all the books in it. As it is I only have the two I need and like the best--this one and the Chronicle of the Old Testament Kings. Colorful, very browse-able, full of fascinating facts. Not up to research standands but great if you want a quick synposis on one or two of the Popes, or just want to get a quick review of the papacy overall.
Amanda
It was good, but I don't think I'll read it again. I liked learning about the papacy and thought it was cool that there was a pope from Volterra, Italy! lol. Thier view of St. Peter was quite interesting as well.
Jim
Good stuff...details the known facts of the Holy Father or the not-so Holy Father including the False Popes and Anti-Popes....
Carrie
Concise record of the papacy from the beginning from St. Peter. beautiful art too!
Victor Orozco
Nice look in to the reigns of the popes. B-.
Julia
Good reference book !!!
Mauro Mello
Very useful reference book.
Andrey Butenko
Andrey Butenko marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Faisal
Faisal marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Sarah E.
Sarah E. marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Ndeti
Ndeti marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Conrad Akunga
Conrad Akunga marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Adrienne Dangelat
Adrienne Dangelat marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Ricardo Portella
Ricardo Portella marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
John Gazzelli
John Gazzelli marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Ivor
Ivor marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Peter G. Maxwell-Stuart is a Research Fellow in the Department of History at the University of Aberdeen and an Honorary Lecturer in the Department of History in the University of St. Andrews.

Source: Macmillan
More about P.G. Maxwell-Stuart...
The Malleus Maleficarum Witchcraft: A History Witch Hunters The Chemical Choir: A History of Alchemy Wizards: A History