Start by marking “Taken” as Want to Read:
Taken

Taken (Randall Shane #1)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  344 ratings  ·  45 reviews
No parent believes it can happen to them--their child taken from a suburban schoolyard in the gentle hours of dusk. But as widowed mother Kate Bickford discovers, everything can change in the blink of an eye. One minute her lanky, amazing, maddening Tommy is begging for ice cream. Then in a terrible instant, he's gone. Opening the door to her Connecticut home, hoping to fi ...more
Published July 17th 2007 by Mira (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Taken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taken

Bev Taylor
how far would u go to save the life of yur child?

i think that every parent knows the answer to that but some will go even further

widowed kate experiences every parent's nightmare - her child is abducted

worse, the police suspect her, also of murder and removing her finances from the country

there r many unanswered questions in this novel - why was the sheriff murdered, why was there no blood in the basement and how was kate supposed to get the body in the freezer? also it did not add up to hav
Nikki
Definition: Unputdownable // un·put·down·a·ble

Adjective: (of a book) So engrossing that one cannot stop reading it.

Barbara ★
WOW this is the first I've read by Chris Jordan and boy did it take me on a roller coaster ride of suspense and horror. It's told in the first person from two points of view, the victim and the kidnapper. The victim is Catherine Bickford, a widowed suburban mom with an 11 year old son. Tommy is kidnapped by Steven Cutter for unknown purposes. Kate is terrorized beyond measure and then framed for murder. While she is fighting for her freedom, she is also working like crazy to find Tommy.

It's alw
Arminzerella
I was thoroughly engrossed by this airport-bookstore-like thriller. High school students would love this mystery-suspense adult novel, so I have to make sure I buy a copy for our library.[return][return]Kate Bickford is a successful suburban single mother with an adopted lovely 11 year old boy. Everything is normal until he disappears after his Little League game. Over the next few days, Kate (unrealistically) takes on characteristics of Jack Bauer and helps lead an investigation of her missing ...more
T.M. Carper
A great thriller! Kate Bickford is at her son's Little League game when he vanishes. She races home, hoping he got a ride back there, only to find a man in black demanding her life savings, which was left by her deceased husband, in order to have her son returned.

The man is following what he calls "The Method". He's ex-Special Forces with a more personal stake in this particular kidnapping than anyone knows at the beginning.

When the police show up at Kate's house, they find a body in her freezer
Kelsie Smith
This book was very interesting and a big thriller. This book started out slow, but once you got to through a couple chapters it was already getting pretty good and began to keep my interest. The protagonist, Kate Bickford, has only one child, Tommy. Kate and her husband, who passed away, had adopted Tommy when he was very young. Tommy gets kidnapped and Kate starts to freak out. Instead of finding Tommy, when Kate goes home she finds the kidnapper on the couch waiting for her and telling her wha ...more
Monique
Eh...cant really say I loved this book but it was riveting and kept me reading past my bedtime to find out what is going to happen...uh and it was semi exciting and not the best ending..This is the story of successful caterer and super mom Jodie of an adopted son she adores when she finds herself smack dab in her worst nightmare--after a routine happy Little League game her son does not come back..he is gone. As she struggles with the obvious pain and confusion of a mother who's lost their most ...more
LindyLouMac
A psychological thriller that my husband and a cousin have both recommended to me recently. The novel is a psychologically disturbing thriller about just how far a parent will go for their child.

The protagonist Kate Bickford is a young widow with one son Tomas whose world falls apart when he is abducted. The problem is that the kidnapper Captain Stephen Cutter, whom the reader knows all about, does not consider that he is one! Intriguingly he considers that kidnappers are vile monsters. He sees
Kristen
In Taken, you're taken for a wild ride in Kate Bickford's life. In a blink of an eye, we witness her struggle, her pain, when her adoptive son's been kidnapped. I felt her torment, when she's a lone widow, missing her late husband. When she shared her backstory through memories of meeting Ted, of marriage and adoption of a baby, and when he was sick, my heart went out to Kate, who raised her son all by herself. She, alone, supported them by starting her own successful catering business. In this ...more
Mischelle
I enjoyed listening to this story. It is read and narrated by a woman and a male. I love this!

I should have listen to this one first before TRAPPED. This story is a little bit of an intro to Randall Shane. In this story, Shane has to have the client drive him around because he didn't drive ever sense his family got into an auto accident.

A mother has her 11 year old son kidnapped after a little league game and she is frame for a crime in the process of trying to get her son back. The authorities
Sue
Shannon Clark
First of all let me say that I have got to STOP reading other reviews before I read a book. I end up picking up on things that I might not have picked up on. That being said, I had a hard time deciding on whether to give this one 3or 4 stars. And that's probably due to those reviews I read. :) So I went with 4 stars.

This book had me gritting my teeth the whole time. I wanted to help her out with finding her son. Unfortunately, I'm just a reader so I couldn't. :)

Melanie
So the plot for this book was good and twisty, with a very origianl reason for the kidnapping. But the author can't get inside a woman's head. I didn't feel like this book was told from a woman's point of view, but from a man's idea of what goes on in a woman's head. I can't put a finger on what it was exactly, but after about ten pages, I had to look at the author's picture in the back to confirm that the "Chris" wasn't short for Christine.
Dion
7/10
Some fresh twists and compelling writing.
I wasn't always convinced by the tone of the female protagonist's point of view; this suited the rest of the characters more.
Angie Cronje
This was a very good book if you are in the mood for something that's not supernatural. If you feel you want to take a break and try something else this is a good read. Its a story about parents and to what extent they will go to save a child/keep a child safe. The story unfolds in every chapter, which keeps you in suspense all the way through till the end! Its worth a read!
Lucy
When her son is taken widowed caterer, Kate Bickford becomes the prime suspect. She can not get anyone to believe her and she transforms herself into the kind of super-brave, super-sleuth, super-mom, I'd like to imagine I would be in the same circumstances. There are thirlling twists and an unforgettable character introduced in this flawed but exciting novel
Sondra
I picked this book, because I thought it was the one that the Liam Neeson movie was made. It isn't, but no regrets! I thought it was a very suspenseful book. It was written well, giving as little information needed to keep you thinking in other directions. I was rather surprised by the entire story! Now, I have to get the other Taken.
Brandon Schlinker
Almost threw the book across the room. If you want to read a book narrated by someone who is clearly incompetent and completely one-dimensional, read this one. I wouldn't be able to stand talking to someone like the narrator for more then 5 minutes in real-life, so reading a book written from that perspective not going to happen.
Nancy Hesse
I enjoyed the story but the editing errors frustrated me beyond belief. The term is battle-scarred not battle-scared. We don't access a situation we assess it. If those errors (among others) happened once I could overlook however they were used consistently wrong. Please for the sake of good literature, get an editor!!!
Bonnie Despain
A bit of a guilty pleasure. The more I read, the more unlikely it became. Began to seem like a movie that goes over the top and you just suspend belief, sit back, and enjoy the escape. A good read on those terms, you the characters are interesting and likable.
Wendie
Another novel about the lengths a mother will go to for her son. Parts of "Taken" are somewhat brutal, since the kidnapper has no qualms about taking out anyone in his way. The reason for the kidnapping isn't apparent until near the end, and it's quite a surprise.
Joanie
This is about what a mother will go through to save her child. The inner strength and the extra sense that she received. A book that you wanted to sit down and start to read and not stop til it was done!
Leo Martin
The Drama. The book is good, because of the drama. Kate in the story is a very devoted mother willing to risk everything just for the safety of her adopted son. Hail, All mothers! Belated Happy Mother's Day!
Melissa
Wow! Great book. Listened to the audio-book on the way to TX and it was amazing. They had two voice actors that alternated depending on the male or female perspective. Well written and suspenseful :)
Amanda
So many aspects of this book scared me to death. Every time I thought I'd worked out where the story was going things would change. Skillfully written suspense.
Joanne
I have to say that this book kept my interest, as a matter of fact I read it in one day. Everytime I put the book down I ended up coming back to see what happens next.
Angela
11282013. A very intense enjoyable read. I thought I had the story figured out through out the whole book, but I was wrong. The ending was a shocker.
Erik Peterson
Pretty slow and overly added in description of how main character is thinking. Lacks action. Quick read though climax marks exact ending of the book.
  • Boneyard (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #2)
  • The Death List
  • Revenant
  • Chillwater Cove
  • Red Blooded Murder (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #2)
  • Suspect
  • The Guilty (Henry Parker, #2)
  • No One Left to Tell (No One, #2)
  • So Close the Hand of Death (Taylor Jackson, #6 )
  • Children of the Plantation
  • The Bonemender (The Bonemender, #1)
  • Lovers and Liars
  • Hidden Charges
  • Acts of Mercy (Mercy Street #3)
  • Promises of Home
  • Whitewash
  • Truth and Consequences (Hearts of the South, #1)
  • Double Jeopardy
Aka Rodman Philbrick, William R. Dantz, W.R. Philbrick

Rodman Philbrick is an outstanding author who has won the prestigious American Library Association Best Book for Young Adults and Quick Pick Awards. Freak the Mighty has been made into a Hollywood film.

Librarian Note: There are several authors in the GoodReads database with this name.

Artist/Photographer Chris Jordan
Pastor Chris Jordan

More about Chris Jordan...
Trapped  (Randall Shane #2) Torn   (Randall Shane #3) Measure of Darkness (Randall Shane #4) Thriller e-bundel 4-in-1