Start by marking “Politics” as Want to Read:

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  287 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
"Politics" is a new kind of politics textbook. Stimulating, succinct and accessible, it offers a truly comprehensive introduction to the study of politics, written from an international perspective. This second edition takes full account of new developments such as debates about globalization, the impact of the mass media, and the shift from government to governance. It al ...more
Paperback, 2nd, 453 pages
Published September 6th 2002 by Palgrave MacMillan (first published April 23rd 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Politics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Politics

The Republic by PlatoThe Prince by Niccolò MachiavelliHonor and Polygamy by Omar FarhadPolitics by AristotleThe Concept of the Political by Carl Schmitt
88th out of 236 books — 327 voters
The Concept of the Political by Carl SchmittAnarchism and Education by Judith SuissaThe Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism by Ha-Joon ChangThe Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx
Recommended Political Reads
84th out of 140 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

Vikas Lather
Jan 06, 2015 Vikas Lather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my many resentments about Goodreads is that it does not have sufficient number of active users who are interested in non-fictional material (political science in particular). Dostoevsky fans can discover on Goodreads, sooner or later, recommendation to read Huxley or Dickens but it's hard for an admirer of Arundhati Roy to discover Slavoj Zizek or Noam Chomsky in similar fashion.

It is understandable, in some sense, as theoretical stuff is generally considered as boring and dry, so anyone
Lia
Mar 24, 2013 Lia rated it it was ok
This was the first political science textbook I read in my first year as a Political Science student and I do have to say that it's not a very good one.

Heywood, as an author, is too wordy and tends to ramble and drag out a subject when a quick summary would have done. This, for me, is a great sin, especially when you're writing a textbook. Look, we all know that reference books are boring as hell, but when the author likes to ramble and is unable to express his ideas in clear, concise sentences
Salo kaladze
Dec 28, 2013 Salo kaladze rated it did not like it
One word-horrible
Abdifatah
Apr 29, 2016 Abdifatah rated it it was ok
Shelves: politics-economy
The most interesting parts for me were the sections on ideologies, namely democracy; which was elucidating and gave me an understanding of the concept passed a vague 'this is a good thing', subnational politics, the interaction between the economic and the political, and constitutions. What you gain from this is a framing for political issues through the presentation of varying opinions on a wide range of phenomena.

Warrants re-readings however and easy to forget in which way the various fields i
Marc Chéhab
Sep 03, 2014 Marc Chéhab rated it it was amazing
Some people here complain about the writing style of Heywood, which I don't see. As a textbook it may be boring, so if your professor made you go through it cover to cover, that's her or his fault and that way this book will kill you!

During my BA and MA I used it more as a first introductory step to research or writing essays. That way you don't forget anything. So an essay on, e.g., federalism, I'd read the chapter on decentralisation (and only that) and then take it from there.

So I use it mo
Elie
This was a slog. Thorough, to be sure, but I had to put it down because I literally could not keep my eyes open on numerous occasions. Plus it is full of typos and other errors. All told - a frustrating read and I wouldn't recommend it, there must be other good introductory politics textbooks out there.
Mustafa Aqeli
Jul 08, 2015 Mustafa Aqeli rated it it was amazing
کتاب هی وود را بهترین کتاب در زمینه ی سیاست یافتم. آنانی که می خواهند بیشتر سیاست بفهمند، باید این کتاب را از چشم دور ندارند واز خوبی های آن بهره مند شوند.
Hakim
May 21, 2015 Hakim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
hayatımda bir ilk oldu böyle bir ders kitabını bu yolla okumak. bakalım ne kadarını anlamışız göreceğiz :P hoş kitap. andrew heywood a söz yok zaten ..iyi okumalar herkeseeee
Jolina Mae
Sep 22, 2014 Jolina Mae rated it liked it
Shelves:
sfasasfsaf
Lynn Beyrouthy
This was the textbook we used during my introduction to political science class in fall 2014, and even though the writing style of Heywood is boring, it was never required of a university textbook to be 'satisfying' from a stylistic point of view.
I will definitely come back to this book on various occasions in the years to come, if you're interested in politics this is a good introductory guide.
Nouf
Jan 09, 2012 Nouf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference-books
One of the greatest books that help you to understand politics, I 've never finished it although I always use it as my reference book when I was taking my course in political science. It's really HELPFUL ..LOVE IT :)

Piotr Pietrzak
May 05, 2013 Piotr Pietrzak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing text to introductory politics and offers a comprehensive introduction to the study of politics.

by Piotr Pietrzak
Author of the prospects for humanitarian intervention in Syria
Mustafa Aqeli
Jul 08, 2015 Mustafa Aqeli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
بهترین کتابی است که در زمینه ی سیاست نوشته شده است. باور دارم از خواندن اش بهره ها خواهید برد.
Aqwer
هغعهغعهعغعغ
Deepikanta Chakraborty
Deepikanta Chakraborty marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Lucie Lescudé
Lucie Lescudé marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Alex Liu
Alex Liu rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Najibullah Ahmadzai
Najibullah Ahmadzai marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Kurtuluş Arslan
Kurtuluş Arslan marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Fardin
Fardin marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Ndeh Zithulele
Ndeh Zithulele marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Arjama Kalita
Arjama Kalita marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Francisco Solis
Francisco Solis is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2016
Sumit Kumar
Sumit Kumar rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Stefanos
Stefanos rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Tiago
Tiago marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Dilara
Dilara added it
Apr 22, 2016
George Chionidis
George Chionidis rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
  • Comparative Government and Politics: An Introduction
  • Political Order in Changing Societies
  • The Politics of Women's Bodies: Sexuality, Appearance, and Behavior
  • Left and Right: The Significance of a Political Distinction
  • How to Interpret Literature: Critical Theory for Literary and Cultural Studies
  • Siyasi Tarih - 1918-1994
  • Signing Naturally: [Student Workbook, Units 1-6]
  • The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Visual Companion
  • Things That Make Us (Sic): The Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar Takes on Madison Avenue, Hollywood, the White House, and the World
  • The Anarchical Society: A Study of Order in World Politics
  • Contemporary Conflict Resolution
  • Boundaries with Teens: When to Say Yes, How to Say No
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2004
  • State, Power, Socialism
  • The Oxford Book of American Short Stories
  • Silencing The Self: Women and Depression
  • The Time Machine/The Island of Doctor Moreau (World's Classics)
  • Anna Banana: 101 Jump Rope Rhymes
Andrew Heywood is the leading writer of politics textbooks in the UK, and an AS and A Level Chief Examiner in Government and Politics. He was Vice Principal of Croydon College and had previously been Director of Studies at Orpington College. He has had over 20 years experience as a Head of Politics and a politics lecturer. Andrew Heywood currently works as a freelance author and consultant.
More about Andrew Heywood...