Start by marking “The Embalmer, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Embalmer, Volume 1

The Embalmer, Volume 1 (The Embalmer #1)

From the Goth Loli queen Mitsukazu Mihara--creator of the hit DOLL--comes a chilling dramatic series about Shinjyurou Mamiya, an embalmer in a nation where men of his profession are viewed as outcasts engaging in an unaccepted and unclean practice. For Shinjyurou, it's just a job. But in doing it, he's gained an understanding of death, and more important, what it truly ...more
Published August 8th 2006 by TokyoPop (first published July 25th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Embalmer, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Embalmer, Volume 1

Beauty Pop, Vol. 1 by Kiyoko AraiD.Gray-man, Volume 01 by Katsura HoshinoLa Corda d'Oro, Volume 1 by Yuki KureAbsolute Boyfriend, Vol. 1 by Yuu WataseBlood Alone, Volume 1 by Masayuki Takano
Manga released in 2006
28th out of 100 books — 12 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreSaga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreLocke & Key, Vol. 1 by Joe HillBatman by Frank Miller
Greatest Graphic Novels
96th out of 259 books — 121 voters

More lists with this book...

Kim
Sep 06, 2010 Kim rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kim by: Sugar
Shelves: manga, read-in-2010
This was recommended to me and I'm very glad they did because I enjoyed reading this so much. After reading the first volume, I immediately got the next 3 and read them cover to cover.

The story revolves around Shinjyurou Mamiya, a half-Japanese half-American embalmer. (who, at first, doesn't speak a word of English, but went to an American college anyway) Traditionally, the dead are cremated in Japan and to say that what he does for a living it frowned upon is probably the understatement of the
Nicole Bunge
I'm a big fan of Mitsukazu Mihara's art style, and the mature way she handles her characters. Her series "Doll" and her work on the Gothic Lolita Bible (art) just entranced me. (Kinda a toss up if I like her or Kaori Yuki best.)
And so, her take on a young Embalmer, working in Japan - where the practice is not as known (or respected) as in America - seemed kinda an interesting subject meditation.

So we have Shinjyurou Mamiya, who is obviously an 'outsider.' (The dude messes with dead people- who
Suzie
Feb 18, 2009 Suzie rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics-manga
Manga about a hot bishonen embalmer. He has one girl friend who he probably loves, but won't get physically involved with, even though he sleeps around with about 60% of the ladies in the volume. The Embalmer is able to connect with the family and friends of the dead and to help people with their last wishes. Explores love, loss, lust, beauty, and the Japanese cultural creep-out over embalming.

Similar in sructure to Mihara's Doll (each chapter is a story), not concerned with gothic and lolita f
Nina (Death, Books, and Tea)
Jul 30, 2011 Nina (Death, Books, and Tea) rated it really liked it
Shinjyurou Mamiya is an embalmer, and therefore an outcast in society. This is a story about him and the people he embalms. It takes one person, who at some point dies somehow, and gets embalmed, and turns it into a little story, and also gives us a little more insight into his personality, history and so on. Its also a story of Azuki, the girl who’s his landlady, and the very slight romance between them.
The first story takes Azuki’s ballerina friend Shiori, who dies in a car accident just befor
Nandayi Kokonya
Apr 27, 2014 Nandayi Kokonya rated it really liked it
This is why I appreciate manga. Never did it cross my mind to even think about reading a book on embalmers. I mean how dark. I've always thought it was the creepiest thing ever and I stayed well away...until now. Japanese manga always somehow ends up wrapping you up into the most far out of things in the most interesting and engrossing ways, and in so doing opens you up to a whole new world of knowledge and perspective. For that I am thoroughly grateful for them.

I liked the introductory volume.
Gabi
Jan 31, 2011 Gabi rated it really liked it
Ape
Oct 11, 2013 Ape rated it liked it
2010 bookcrossing review:

This one was pretty good out of the manga I've read so far. I might read some more of the series if I ever get my hands on anymore of the books. It's standard in someways of a lot of manga, with the two main characters meant to be together, but because of an age difference and some other issue, they can't be together so there's lots of blushing; that standard gaping manga mouth of horror and so on. Then there's the usual stylised drawings with the odd provocative poses,
Stefany
Nov 08, 2007 Stefany rated it liked it
Recommends it for: mature people
The Embalmer is not your average manga; it doesn't have fox people or speshful-magic or super powerful ninjas hopping around. It takes place in modern day Japan, and is the story of Shinjyurou, one of Japan's few male embalmers. Unlike the Western world, embalming is not really an accepted profession in Japan. The manga deals with hard issues that deal with death, especially with the first issue. It teaches us that death is the end of life, but we have to grow and learn and get tough, but learn ...more
Katherine
May 25, 2013 Katherine rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic
If this was an anime, I might watch it. And if these graphic novels were just at my library so I wouldn't have to order them in, then I'd maybe continue reading them. But I just didn't enjoy this enough to continue the series.
I didn't like how the main male character (the embalmer) is so feminine-looking, all long hair and skinny, dainty body. And the stories, the characters and incidents that connect to the embalmer, are sorta shallow - I thought they coulda been more emotional or evocative.
Noran Miss Pumkin
Sep 01, 2009 Noran Miss Pumkin rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: adult mange reader graphic
Recommended to Noran by: myself
Shelves: manga, 2009-book-list
not well written nor did i care for the drawing style. It was a bargain bin manga book from the con this year, and the title caught my eye. for the price. The story skips--does not flow--the type font is hard to read for a third of the book, and the plot skips like a badly scratched vinyl LP from the 60's! Hey you want to try it--email me and i will ship it your way. It need to be drawn more harsh and dark--with the title.
Anna
Jan 16, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: death, japanese, manga
After Peacemaker and both of Jason DeAngelis's mangas, this one is my favourite. I forgot how well written and translated this series was (a good translation means EVERYTHING). The story is awesome and controversial. And, Jesus, every time I read the story about the father with TB, I cry. Very well done, especially for a first issue. Grabbed me easily and I'm very interested in the characters.
Elaine
Mar 15, 2009 Elaine rated it really liked it
An interesting, dramatic look at the profession. Sometimes I think it is a littel heavy-handed on the meaningfulness of the embalming profession, but I can overlook that. All 4 volumes that I've read (it seems there won't be any more, unfortunately) are decent in their stories and art.
Fasya
Nov 10, 2011 Fasya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
well drawn and nice plot..this manhwa tells the story of embalmer and dark side of the embalmer's life.i also learn a bit about what is embalmer all about and the community perspective over this work.overall,i had enjoyed immensely reading this manhwa.
Morel Dei
Jul 25, 2016 Morel Dei rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
My grandmother happens to own a funeral shop, so there's an understandable reason that the concept, which may be boring and not likable to some, piqued my interest. I'm really looking forward to where things will go from here. :)
Alison
Aug 21, 2007 Alison rated it really liked it
It's manga that's well drawn (not your typical japanese-style) and though it's all short stories there's a bit of plot that runs through it. 4 volumes so far and it's been keeping my interest and, having the attention span of a gnat when it comes to manga, that's saying something.
Alicia
Jul 05, 2013 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Highly reccomend this series, it shows the reasons for embalming and why people do it. Its very beautiful and inspiring.
Bethany
Bethany rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2010
Gabriella
Gabriella rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
May 13, 2012
Bingoop
Bingoop rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2015
Akylina
Akylina rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2012
Ana
Ana rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2011
Schnekk
Schnekk rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2014
Lena
Lena rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2010
Maggie Sim
Maggie Sim rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2014
Martyna
Martyna rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2016
Sami
Sami rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2012
Jenny Swan
Jenny Swan rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
J.nliebert
J.nliebert rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2010
Victoria Allen
Victoria Allen rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2012
  • The Tarot Cafe, #3
  • Tramps Like Us, Volume 7
  • Happy Mania Volume 1
  • Solanin, #1
  • Lovers and Souls
  • Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, Volume 1 (Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, #1)
  • Suppli, Volume 1
  • Nodame Cantabile, Vol. 2 (Nodame Cantabile, #2)
  • ES: Eternal Sabbath, #1
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena, Vol. 4: To Bud
  • Model, Vol. 7
三原 ミツカズ (MIHARA Mitsukazu) is credited with helping shape the GothLoli look through her work in the "Gothic & Lolita Bible"

In 1994, she won the first "Feel Young New Face Manga Awards" Judges’ Special Prize with her short work, "The Children Who Don’t Need Rubbers."

She resides in Osaka, Japan.

Sometimes credited as MIHARA Tsukazu.
[via Mangaupdates]
More about Mitsukazu Mihara...

The Embalmer (7 books)