Start by marking “Sark's New Creative Companion: Ways to Free Your Creative Spirit” as Want to Read:
Sark's New Creative Companion: Ways to Free Your Creative Spirit

Sark's New Creative Companion: Ways to Free Your Creative Spirit

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,925 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
We all need reminders that it'?s little things that make us feel really alive-those small actions and subtle gestures that can potentially lead to great moments of magic and joy. Unfortunately, we'?re so frequently occupied with day-to-day responsibilities and commitments that a mere moment of magic often seems miles away. In SARK'?S NEW CREATIVE COMPANION, you'?ll discove ...more
Published May 1st 2005 by Celestial Arts (first published October 31st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Sark's New Creative Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sark's New Creative Companion

HeavyReader
May 07, 2014 HeavyReader rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who need to relax and create
Shelves: art, writing
SARK is more than a bit spiritual and new age-y, two things I'm not so in to, but for some reason I am not annoyed by her books, but really inspired by them. Her philosophy is so positive. I am able to take it for what it is and not get bogged down in the near impossibility of some of what she believes (like that "the universe will provide" crap).

UPDATE: I'm a lot more like SARK now than I used to be!

In any case, this is a great book to help folks get in touch with their creative energy.
Lauren
Nov 05, 2009 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a lot of fun. It had colorful pictures and pages filled with slogans written in different colors. It said things like, "Eat mangoes naked," and, "Make little signs that say yes and post them all over your house," and, "Learn to watch snails." I definitely recommend this book.
Laura Lee
I have been a fan of SARK for almost 25 years now. I have read all her books, but am rereading them. This is her first book, updated in 2005. Not bad, but not her best. More of a collection of her famous posters and cards.
Tammy
Oct 25, 2013 Tammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it but it duplicates stuff from the journal and playbook. Still, it's S.A.R.K. which means it's fun and uplifting, full of good ideas to bring play back into your life.
Wendy
Nov 29, 2010 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Provides tips and techniques on how to free your creative spirit. Good book for someone who thinks they have no creativity or for the person whose creativity is stuck.
Dr. Barrett  Dylan Brown, Phd

You know life is "funny" sometimes... I have not read this book lately. Have not held a copy for over 20 years... But tonight I was thinking about it.

In Retrospect, THIS BOOK, by SARK, is ONE of The Most Powerful Magickal Texts I have ever read, in the context of a "modern-day-mythology."

SARK actually attempts to interact with the Reader, by providing Questions about Future Dreams and other healthy Brain-food, but also by giving the Reader the Choice to ignore the questions and just doodle.
Swan
Jul 15, 2011 Swan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was hooked in and delighted by this book! Every page is a special treasure of simple but powerful inspiration for artist, writers, but really for anyone looking to live life to the fullest. A book, that before it begins has a list entitled "How to be an Artist," and is followed by ideas such as: "learn to watch snails... swing as high as you can on a swingset, by moonlight...refuse to "be responsible"...believe in magic. laugh a lot...draw on walls...giggle with children...hug trees. write lov ...more
Eli Poteet
May 02, 2016 Eli Poteet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a massive SARK fan but I gave this book of hers a solid three stars because I am so well versed in her other literary accomplishments. This was her very first published work and she took two weeks to make it. In her later works she references and shines more light on all of the stories she accumulated in this one. The thing I most appreciate about this work is how she purely encourages folk to write their hearts out. I feel as though it took me maybe ten or 15 minutes to read it but it has ...more
Laura Rogers
Sep 05, 2014 Laura Rogers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafty-fun
My first SARK read. <3
Erin
May 12, 2014 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
beautiful reminder of creativity.
Cindi P.
Aug 31, 2013 Cindi P. rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, creativity
Today I read this book for the second time. I don't do that very often. It inspires me to pursue some of my creative dreams boldly, and provides tools, ideas, and encouragement to move ahead. It is a fun, colorful read with many thought-provoking quotes for anyone who feels creative and wants to further embrace that.
Jo
Jul 10, 2008 Jo rated it liked it
Very Sark.
My daughter loves it more than I do and that makes me love it more. Which makes no sense. Or does it?
But there are times on a grey day when you're swamped with drudge and can't think of anything shiny. On those days, this book is great for pulling open and just reading a page.
Phoebe
Aug 06, 2009 Phoebe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: creativity
The permission slip that for me started it all. Read this as a freshman in high school after I found it on the concrete floor of a cavernous warehouse of a bookstore in Newton.

Highly recommended for those who are wound too tightly and looking to get loose.
Cathi Isza
Aug 19, 2012 Cathi Isza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love SARK! I also had purchased a cassette of this book. This book is one in a million with all of her little drawings and inspirations I don't know what else someone would need to spark the imagination and make the magic in the studio! Great read!
Hope
Oct 30, 2009 Hope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Go, pick up a copy, or come borrow mine. This is more work of art than book, for all that it's almost entirely text. It's prose, but carries the feel of poetry. It probably isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I've been warmed by it.
Jodie
Sep 15, 2007 Jodie rated it really liked it
I don't know how I found these books, but one day while cruising a bookstore, I stumbled across SARK's books. Haven't read them all, but the ones I have read left an impact on me. They inspire creativity within yourself.
Esmeralda
Jul 08, 2012 Esmeralda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Damn it! I just wrote an entire review for this and now the internet is all messed up and has erased it. Bah humbug!

Good book. Good ideas. I would give this to a young person that has a passion for art.

Hmph.
Carrie
Jul 14, 2009 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring for my creative self, even if I felt she focuses a little too much on the money making aspects of creativity. But then again, maybe that's just me... A good opportunity to let yourself dream.
Tabi34
Nov 13, 2008 Tabi34 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I'm feeling less than inspired or creative, I do a few of the exercises. It's great. I have introduced my students to creativity through this book.
Victoria
Jul 09, 2008 Victoria rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Victoria by: Mel
Shelves: non-fiction
Just what I needed to be reading today... I have to be in the right mood to really enjoy SARK, but this one I'm sinking into with enthusiasm and optimism.
Angie
Nov 06, 2010 Angie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Great breakfast reading! Self-help meets multi-colored children's picture book. My brain feels less fuzzy after finishing this.
JP
Every time I begin to read this book I instantly feel lighter. Sark has a wonderful outlook on life and the creative spirit.
Kaylee
Dec 22, 2009 Kaylee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely wonderfully uplifting for the creative soul or even the soul who wants to be creative but can't remember how.
Fun book by a lovely free spirit. A good read when you need that creative boost. Good to give as gift to artsy/hippie friends.
Cinco
Sep 17, 2008 Cinco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
SARK, man. It's a funny thing: I'm pretty sure she's at least a third crazy, but I really like her books anyway.
Lisa
Jan 26, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
SARK's book are super easy to read, very colorful, a lot of fun and are packed with unsuspecting insights.
Christiangal
Oct 16, 2008 Christiangal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love SARK's use of color and words. She is a gift of inspiration to all persons, not only artists.
Jo Casey
Jan 25, 2013 Jo Casey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unique, quirky and beautifully illustrated. sark's books are like hot chocolate for the mind
D.G. Kaye
Mar 07, 2013 D.G. Kaye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me about my overwhelming desire to write for a long time was to seriously begin.
LemontreeLime
Feb 12, 2009 LemontreeLime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish it had been twice as big, with more fun exercises to try! Still a good read!
  • Living Out Loud: Activities to Fuel a Creative Life
  • Messy Thrilling Life: The Art of Figuring Out How to Live
  • Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspiration from Working Artists
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up and Create Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Make Your Own Collage Creations Using Vintage Photos, Found Objects and Ephemera
  • Creating a Life Worth Living
  • Art Journals and Creative Healing: Restoring the Spirit Through Self-Expression
  • How to Make a Journal of Your Life
  • Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring and Creating Personal Pages
  • Living Artfully: Create the Life You Imagine
  • Pronoia is the Antidote for Paranoia: How the Whole World is Conspiring to Shower You With Blessings
  • The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks & Albums Made Simply Beautiful
  • SoulCollage: An Intuitive Collage Process for Individuals and Groups
  • 52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity
  • Journal Bliss: Creative Prompts to Unleash Your Inner Eccentric
  • The Vein of Gold
SARK (a.k.a. Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy) is an American author and illustrator of self-help books. Five of her sixteen books have been national bestsellers, and she has sold more than two million copies of her books.

More about SARK...

“Inside Critics

The critical voices in our own heads are far more vicious than what we might hear from the outside. Our "inside critics" have intimate knowledge of us and can zero in on our weakest spots.

You might be told by the critics that you're too fat, too old, too young, not intelligent enough, a quitter, not logical, prone to try too many things...
It's all balderdash!

Some elements of these may be true, and it's completely up to you how they affect you. Inside critics are really just trying to protect you. You can:

Learn to dialogue with them.
Give them new jobs.
Turn them into allies.
You can also dismantle/exterminate them.”
22 likes