Blank-133x176
Me 2.0

Dan Schawbel

Me 2.0

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  36 reviews
"Me 2.0" is the""handbook for surviving and thriving in the digital age. Highlights include:

An effective 4-step process for discovering, creating, communicating, and maintaining a personal brand.

Expert insight into how blogs, podcasting, and social networks can position individuals to find careers based on their passion and experience.

A complementary website (www.personalb...more
ebook
Published March 31st 2009 by Kaplan (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Me 2.0, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me 2.0

Lars-Christian Elvenes
I picked up Me 2.0 since Dan Schwabel is considered something of a guru in the area of personal branding, and working with career development this is important.

Me 2.0 mainly covers your online presence. How do you use a blog, facebook, linkedin, twitter, as well as your own website to portray a well thought through image of yourself to the world. Personally I believe social media will keep growing, and with it it’s importance and impact, so having this knowledge I believe will serve you well. D...more
Christine
To be fair, I'm a little late to the game with this book. It is a little dated. I bet this would have been a great book back when it was published. But now most of these ideas are readily available with a simple Google search on how to brand yourself or how to find a job. This book is definitely geared towards college students and/or recent grads who are looking for their first job. Many of these ideas are still very relevant, but some are a little antiquated and no longer good practices. In my...more
Mihran Kalaydjian
Dan Schawbel is the publisher of “Personal Branding Magazine.” When you take his suggestion and type “Dan Schawbel” into Google you’ll see that he practices what he preaches. His award-winning “Personal Branding Blog” comes up first. And my favorite section of the blog is his tab called “Quote Me” where he lists some of his favorite things to say like “Be the real you because everyone else is taken and replicas don’t sell for as much.”

That quote alone should inspire you to take your personal bra...more
Charles Franklin
What I liked about the book was the unique approach to today's job search for my generation (Millenials). Millenials are facing a world that is radically different than previous generations. Before a college degree and a resume was pretty much a ticket to a "good job". In our world, job seekers face stiff competition for a smaller job pool, the introduction of social media, and changes in technology make it easy for a job seeker harder to stand out. This book helps to get that prospective job se...more
Mark Lacy
Not bad. A bit annoying because of it slant toward recent college grads, and a bit annoying because marketing oneself is not something that appeals to me at all. But because of a need I perceive for doing this more at my job, and because of the need I will have if I try to establish a second career, I decided I should read this.
Sandra
Schawbel gives some good background information & history of employment trends and the rise of personal branding. He also is up-to-date and relavant in his dicussion of online branding and using web 2.0 applications. He gives good advice and breaks it down into digestable parts.

I would have liked more exercises and advice on how to create my own personal brand or even a professional branding statement or elevator speech. He also heavily concentrates on networking especially online networkin...more
Ruzanne
At this point, the book reads as if it were written by a college sophomore named Captain Obvious. If you know anything about the internet and social media now, you probably won't learn anything here. When there IS a subject you could use real insight on, the book offers only vague, generalized cliches and stops there. Why? Well, he doesn't really have the depth of experience yet to be able to give actual advice. Can't really get around this occupational hazard of the self-styled whiz kid.

This bo...more
Vasilena
Me 2.0 provides an excellent skeleton to your personal marketing plan and job hunt. However, I'd ask readers to try and customize this as much as possible as they are reading. A lot of the techniques offered are great for people in the digital or creative industries, however not entirely applicable to careers in more traditional industries.

Personal pet peeve: the tone is very male and in general I felt that the book was very male-oriented, with little consideration as to the female aspect. Don'...more
Rick Austin
This book is really targeted to Gen Y and how they could, probably should, use social media and other Web 2.0 capabilities to further their "brand". I learned new techniques thought a lot of the content was not new to me. It is valuable to have a comprehensive view of how all of these elements can be combined to create a personal brand.

I would recommend it for any Gen Y's embarking on their careers. For the baby boomers, that would be my group, I would recommend it for those that are not comfort...more
Rick Thomchick
To be fair, I am not the target audience for this book (18-22 year old Gen Y job seeker with a limited vocabulary). But no, I did not particularly enjoy this book, although I did LMAO at the author's perspective on Gen Xers (in essence, labeling them as well-connected luddites with deep pockets).

All in all, not a bad job-hunting primer for young adults (primarily female, as suggested by the book's cover) and a "polite" counterweight to the Tyler-Durden approach that Scott Gerber takes in "Never...more
Kyle
The first sections of the book discuss the power of a blog in reaching out to large social networks. Time is spent explaining what LinkedIn is and basically this book is for someone who does not know anything about Web 2.0 or social media. Although, it did end with some good organizational points. There are checklists for ensuring you maximize your online potential. Tips for creating and maintaining an effective and consistent personal brand (online and in person).
Bjorn Hardarson
"I am very interested in personal branding on line. As I have read so many books on so many subject there was not much new in it, but still it is a very good book on a very interesting subject. I am though still looking for the focused book on on line personal branding and some of the sides of it all books a read lack. Maybe I need to just write it :), but recommend it for everyone building up there personal brand and career online and offline
Humberto
Good information covering the basics to generate and understand the on-line personal branding. I agree with other reviewers about the need to get an updated view of the topic from other sources, as the new social and technological trends during the last years have changed the context. Anyway there is value on the main concepts discussed.
Eric
If I was a little younger, I probably would have given this more stars. It is squarely aimed at the recent college graduate, and while I enjoy thinking of myself that way, in reality I am not. Some of the advice, methods, and tools are applicable to developing a personal brand at any age, however, and I will be instituting some if it ASAP (or already have). A good personal branding primer.
Missy
Reasonably coherent, decent content... very much in-the-moment. I took a few ideas away from it all, and only found myself rolling my eyes a few times, so (kind of like a QB's touchdown/interception ratio) I'd say it was an overall win. Good for those just starting out in the professional world, or those for whom the whole Web 2.0/social media thing is a complete mystery.
Mary Louise
Excellent book. Your personal brand is becoming infinately important with social networks replacing PR and advertising. And if you get a chance, definately read Jonathan Fields' interview with author Dan Schawbel about his new book, Me 2.0.

Mindful Reader
Best part? I zipped through it in about an hour this morning. Proclaimed target audience? College grads and newbies to the work force. Actual target audience? Freshmen and Sophomores. In high school. Great self-promotion material for Dan Schawbel, though, and that is a great lesson in and of itself.
Yutaka
ざっと読み。パーソナルブランディングの本。多数の中から自分を認識/評価してもらうためには、「人とは違う自分」を「意識的に」形作る必要がある(それは時分を誇張するという意味ではなく、自分のイメージを正確に伝える(管理する)といった意味合い)。現代はfacebookやlinkedin,twitter,blogなど自己を表現する媒体があり、個人をPRする手段がたくさんあるから活用していこう的な。

自分のイメージをより分かりやすく伝える、ということ。知らない人に自分を知ってもらうにはそれは大事。フリーエージェント化していく社会には個人のブランディングは必要なのかもしれない。
Jason Thu
An interesting book for self-promotion. Personal branding is becoming a common-sense and popular technique to promote (and "market") yourself. This is a basic handbook for personal branding.
Deedums
I'm only giving this book two stars because I'm a seasoned professional in search of something more than how to dress for interviews. I would recommend this book for a recent college grad.
Tanner
I really enjoy Dan's personal branding blog and also this book. If you are looking to stand out from your peers to get a job or career in this tough job market then read this book.
Kiki Unhinged
Nothing new in here for a seasoned communications professional, but would be useful for college students or anyone just starting out in their personal branding efforts.
Kelly
Kevin
Hitting yourself in the face with this book would be more fun than reading it.

Eric Ungs
Excellent read for those wanting to gain a little insight on how to create, communicate, and maintain your personal brand (identity).
Miring'u Kamwati
A great applicable book read for every musician, artist and forward looking individual. I will re-read it in my application phase.
Jurgen Appelo
Mixed feelings. Good insights on being remarkable. But, creating a business plan? Wearing a suit? Is that remarkable, really?
Natasha Fondren
Seriously, not worth it. I only read it because it was in Kinko's, and I had nothing to do while waiting for hubby.
Elisabeth
Interesting enough but dated for sure, and you can find a lot of the same information online.
Allison
Some gems, but overall geared to a younger, less experienced demographic.
  • The Brand You50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Yourself from an "Employee" into a Brand That Shouts Distinction, Commitment, and Passion!
  • Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World
  • The New Community Rules: Marketing on the Social Web
  • Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself
  • Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love
  • Lifehacker: The Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, and Better
  • Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day
  • The Pathfinder: How to Choose or Change Your Career for a Lifetime of Satisfaction and Success
  • Hacking Your Education: Escape Lectures, Save Thousands, and Hustle Your Way to a Brighter Future
  • The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing: Everything You Need to Know to Write, Publish, Promote and Sell Your Own Book
  • You Majored in What?: Mapping Your Path From Chaos to Career
  • Designing for the Social Web
  • The Art of Being Unmistakable
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • Say Everything: How Blogging Began, What It's Becoming, and Why It Matters
  • The Modern Library Writer's Workshop: A Guide to the Craft of Fiction
  • Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business
  • Do It Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management
Dan Schawbel is the Managing Partner of Millennial Branding, a Gen Y research and consulting firm. He is the author of the #1 international bestselling book, Me 2.0: 4 Steps to Building Your Future, now in 13 languages. His second book, Promote Yourself: The New Rules For Career Success, will be released in 2013 by St. Martin’s Press. Dan is a columnist at both TIME and FORBES, and has been featur...more
More about Dan Schawbel...
Promote Yourself: The New Rules for Career Success Me 2.0 Me 2.0, Revised and Updated Edition: 4 Steps to Building Your Future Social Media and Personal Branding: Adapted from Me 2.0 L'arte del Personal Branding. Come creare il Brand chiamato Te.