Start by marking “2666, Part 4: The Part About The Crimes” as Want to Read:
2666, Part 4: The Part About The Crimes

2666, Part 4: The Part About The Crimes (2666 #4)

Linda
Nov 29, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
Tentative 3 stars. So far this entire book was not what I was expecting. I'm hoping Part 5 somehow ties everything together.
Trish
I hardly know where to begin reviewing this massive opus. But I know I am not alone because most of the people who have read the thing just rate it with stars to indicate how well they liked it and leave it at that. I don’t even think the star rating system works well when considering this novel.

2666 might almost be thought of as fictional nonfiction in that it reads like remembered thought, something like a memoir, though it is broken into “books” and many people are central rather than a sing
Jeremy
May 25, 2013 Jeremy rated it it was amazing
The most horrific and riveting section of this phenomenal work, The Part About the Crimes often often like a simple laundry list of women who have disappeared from sight - only to reappear later, raped, mutilated, murdered - and the seeming disinterest of the local authorities in their disappearances. The cases are occasionally solved (e.g., domestic violence in the home), but more often than not - the cases simply languish and are filed away without much care given to them at all. Yet... There ...more
Wayne's
Sep 19, 2016 Wayne's rated it liked it
Well I enjoyed this section of the novel, still wondering about the unity of the whole work.
Joni Jo
Oct 07, 2015 Joni Jo rated it did not like it
This part is basically journalistic style reporting on the murders and rapes that occur with some minor side stories into various other characters and it details how no body does anything about the murders.

For me it was very boring. Bolano doesn't elaborate on the deaths, he only says that they happen. You don't learn a thing about what it means to be a woman and raped, or what it means for the community. You just read that women are killed and found dead in this particular manner or another -
heidi
Feb 07, 2016 heidi added it
Violent from start to finish, but not gratuitous. May be discomfiting for some as the violence is mostly sexual violence against women plus some cringe-inducing prison violence involving male characters. Fans of procedural crime books / TV series will be familiar with the tone.

However the violence is integral to the story as this book is about the unsolved mystery of a shitload of murders in fictitious Santa Theresa in Mexico (I googled) involving female victims. Was there just one serial rapist
Gregory Rothbard
Apr 13, 2015 Gregory Rothbard rated it liked it

This part gave me nightmares; the narration salves into one's imagination the terrible murders and crimes of St. Theressa Mexico. I was ready to move on, but there were more and more murders and the murder kept building into my psyche. I felt responsible in some way. I felt a depression from the I did not enjoy this section.

Book Four gives a cry for help for the disenchanted people daring to ask why: Why should we be forgotten? Why should we be used by the machinery of capitalistic imperialism o
Adriana Scarpin
Jun 12, 2014 Adriana Scarpin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chilena
A Parte dos Crimes: WOW. Um retrato aterrador de como o patriarcado age na sociedade em relação às mulheres, são centenas de páginas descrevendo feminicidios entrecortados com a descrição da corrupção, tráfico e machismo presente nas mãos dos envolvidos (polícia, políticos) todos representantes do patriarcado com escassas representações feministas que tentam quebrar a sina da cultura de estupro presente na sociedade, esta inspirada na situação crítica em que se encontra Ciudad Juárez no México ...more
Hafsa Muhammad
Jun 12, 2014 Hafsa Muhammad rated it liked it
This part was disappointing, and I tried to defend Bolaño at many points, swayed by the language sometimes, and I let myself sway longer to maybe justify my love for his writing, but this section clearly lacked what I read Bolaño for, his contemplative humor, albeit dark and understated, but a clear sense of humor, which I think is missing from this part. I am not done yet so maybe I am missing some bigger picture of understated sarcasm that I've grown so fond of.
Caroline Hayes
May 11, 2014 Caroline Hayes rated it really liked it
So much to take in. So shocking. So disturbing. It's hard for me to believe that the person who recommended this book, read it! I'm amazed in an interesting way. I one individual who will love this book. This book is not for the weak of heart, but most of what is revealed is historically accurate, especially that pertaining to "Santa Teresa", and what is most sad and disturbing, is that it continues to occur, and no one has been brought to justice.
Lydia
Feb 09, 2016 Lydia rated it really liked it
On to the last part. Part 4 was not an easy section to read, with the constant drumbeat of dead women on almost every other page. There were moments of horror and moments of pure beauty in this section. Glad to have it behind me, though I think much of this book will stay with me the rest of my life. Fascinating.
Andrew Case
May 04, 2016 Andrew Case rated it it was amazing
The heart of the book, and a window both into the horror surrounding "Santa Teresa" (Ciudad Juarez) and living in the heart of Bolano's world. Incompetent police, horrible crimes interspersed with ordinary crimes, a dull lurking fear, and a feverish wonder all swirl together as we wait for a climax only to realize that we will get no relief, only ongoing pain and terror.
Rhys
Dec 09, 2013 Rhys rated it really liked it
A 1001 Nights of murder. The books keep getting more interesting.

Has anyone noticed that it takes these characters 3 hours to make love? Not to brag, but I could take care of business and read 200 pages of a Bolaño novel in that time ...

Heather
Jul 29, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
The Part About the Crimes is possibly the most feminist fiction on violence against women that I’ve read. Bolano couples everyday chauvinism with an accumulation of horrors that become everyday. One woman’s raped and tortured body after another for 300 and some pages, none of them fetishized.
teresa
Nov 15, 2014 teresa rated it liked it
Very hard to get through Part 4 of the book, and not sure I understand why it had to go for so long but Part 5 made up for it and more!
Michael Huang
Feb 17, 2016 Michael Huang rated it liked it
Describing in gruesome detail the horrendous crime ad nauseam -- Very bold approach to literature for sure.
Jaidee
Aug 29, 2014 Jaidee rated it it was amazing
5 stars...
book 4 shook me to my core.....powerful, dark, futile....take a short break and move into book 5
Don
May 18, 2013 Don rated it really liked it
Not for the faint of heart. A brutal retelling of the murders and mutilations of the young female maquiladoras workers in Ciudad Juarez.
Martin
Aug 19, 2015 Martin rated it it was ok
2666, Part 4: The Monotony of Evil. As much as any other part of 2666, this book appeared to me as an incomplete and not yet edited work. I'm not certain why I finished it.
Elizabeth
Apr 29, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Though I can't say that I enjoyed Part 4, it's the most crucial section of 2666 and it adds historical context. Brutal (in content and in style) and horrifying but necessarily so.
Edvardas
Edvardas rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2016
Marc
Marc rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Inese
Inese rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2014
Colin Kinz-Thompson
Colin Kinz-Thompson rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Fy K
Fy K rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2013
Morten Gregersen
Morten Gregersen rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2013
Walter Falbo
Walter Falbo rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Avigail
Avigail rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2013
Claudia
Claudia rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2013
M.
M. rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2013
  • The Killer, Volume One
  • Shantytown
  • Ser feliz era esto
  • El inventor de juegos
  • Le Grand Vizir Iznogoud (Iznogoud, #1)
  • Los pichiciegos
  • Apollo's Song, Part One
  • Zagreb Cowboy: A Marko Della Torre Novel
  • Cerati en primera persona
  • The Murder of Abraham Lincoln
  • The Adventures Of A Photographer In La Plata
  • Acerca de Roderer
72039
For most of his early adulthood, Bolaño was a vagabond, living at one time or another in Chile, Mexico, El Salvador, France and Spain.

Bolaño moved to Europe in 1977, and finally made his way to Spain, where he married and settled on the Mediterranean coast near Barcelona, working as a dishwasher, a campground custodian, bellhop and garbage collector — working during the day and writing at night.

H
More about Roberto Bolaño...

2666 (5 books)