Start by marking “Planet of the Umps: A Baseball Life from Behind the Plate” as Want to Read:
Planet of the Umps: A Baseball Life from Behind the Plate

Planet of the Umps: A Baseball Life from Behind the Plate

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
After calling balls, strikes, and outs for thirty-six baseball seasons and more than 3000 major league games, umpire Ken Kaiser finally called it a career. From the first day he hit a minor league catcher with a pool table to the fateful day baseball called him out on a strike, Kaiser was one of the game's most popular and colorful characters. And in this autobiography-wri ...more
Published April 19th 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published April 19th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Planet of the Umps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planet of the Umps

Todd Stockslager
Jun 09, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Classic baseball autobiography by an umpire who served 13 years in the minors before a 23-year major league run that ended abruptly with the 2002 umpire lockout/strike/resignations that ended badly for some, including Kaiser.

Funny, fast-moving and full of stories, within the genre this is a classic. Kaiser was a high-school graduate (barely--as he said "I didn't know the meaning of the word intimidation. Of course, I didn't know the meaning of a lot of other words either.") joining a friend on a
David
Feb 08, 2011 David rated it liked it
This is fun for it's behind-the-scenes take on the game from the minor leagues to the Big Time. The problem, of course, is it's a bit out date. Still, Kaiser is a character; and his writing seems to mirror his abrasive personality (in a fun way). I lost count how many guys he throws out of the game - including spectators! - without the slightest of care.

One thing my dad and I always hypothesized about the game turned out to be true. After bad calls, managers would run out on the field to "argue"
James
Dec 25, 2014 James rated it really liked it
A really funny book! If you enjoy Baseball, then read this book, as it gives a different perspective on things! Well written!
Ronald
Feb 13, 2016 Ronald rated it it was amazing
read SOMETIME in 2006
Ed Homenick
Jun 13, 2016 Ed Homenick rated it liked it
Read this in '01 and enjoyed the reading since I was a high school umpire at the time
Cory Wentzel
I read this book a few years ago and I enjoyed it a lot. It talks about the how much power the umpires have and what it was like for Ken Kaiser coming up from the minor leagues of baseball.
Joe Kapraszewski
Dec 01, 2012 Joe Kapraszewski rated it really liked it
Shelves: baseball, biography
Ken kept it real discussing being an ump and being one of the "other guys" on the field that we either love or hate depending on if the call went the right way. All fans should read this book simply to understand what goes on in the mind of an umpire and to see how difficult it really is.
Dale Stonehouse
It was OK only because I love to read about umpiring. Kaiser couldn't make a call right-handed so the umpiring rules had to be ignored for him. The book is better than his umpiring only because it couldn't be any worse.
Kathy
Jan 19, 2009 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once I started thinking of this book as a transcription of a guy in a bar BSing about his life, I really enjoyed it. Don't look for facts or deep insight, just enjoy the tall tales Ken tells.
Michael Webb
Terrible. Very whiny. Some good stories, though.
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Donald Harwick
Donald Harwick rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Eric DeGroot
Eric DeGroot rated it it was ok
May 13, 2016
Anthony Federico
Anthony Federico rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Carol Rigsbee
Carol Rigsbee rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Matt Lyons
Matt Lyons marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Rob Neyer
Rob Neyer rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Bob Brooks
Bob Brooks rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Russty Thaggard
Russty Thaggard rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Matt V
Matt V is currently reading it
Nov 13, 2015
Jane Wills
Jane Wills rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Douglas Burdin
Douglas Burdin rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Mike Mathis
Mike Mathis rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Wayne maushart
Wayne maushart rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2015
Robert A. Malara Jr
Robert A. Malara Jr rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2015
Kay Leigh
Kay Leigh rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2015