Start by marking “Why Aren't You Smiling?” as Want to Read:
Why Aren't You Smiling?

Why Aren't You Smiling?

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  7 reviews
When 14-year-old Leonard decides to quit being a Dweeb and instead joins the Burnouts, his "good boy" persona is abandoned as he embarks on a comically painful journey of self-discovery through an unconventional friendship with Rick, an older Jesus-freak barefoot hippie. Growing up in the 1970s has never before been portrayed with such delightful ludicrousness and heartren ...more
Published October 25th 2011 by Manic D Press (first published October 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Why Aren't You Smiling?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Aren't You Smiling?

Trixie Fontaine
I must not be very sophisticated because farce is frequently heart-warming to me in a very earnest way. Or my heart is a farce or something. I don't know. Maybe because it's too over-the-top to be painfully heart-breaking or stressful, so it's cozy reading that still addresses (in this case, at least) Matters of the Heart and Spirit. Or because I like to be made fun of. Anyhoo ... I enjoyed this and look forward to relaxing with more of the author's books.

I was a little put off by the middle chu
I. Merey
One of the things I love about Orloff's writing is its personability (is that even a word? whatever). When I finish one of his books, I have the urge to call him, to go have a coffee or tea and be his friend, [Let me clarify here, I don't actually know this man.], but his writing makes me feel like I do. Which is not to say his books strike me as autobiographical (who knows how much they are), only that there is an inherent sympathy in how they are written that I can't help but transfer to their ...more
Scott Upper
loved this book. tight, fast read with a bit of hilarity on every page. the author's choice of words to describe the dorky protagonist's truth-seeking journey is what makes it so damned good. clever but not too clever. sort of reminds me of that show "freaks and geeks", the (highly underrated) showtime series.

here's my little content synopsis that i wrote for amazon:
god, love, and the meaning of life are repeatedly under fire when leonard, an earnest young goober, takes a brave leap from geekdo
Leenda dela Luna
I want to say this was "meh" to this book but, then again, I stayed up all night reading it. Sooo...??

I had a big peeve with a supporting character, Jordy, who seemed to be completely based on Leslie Jordon. Couldn't tell if that was the case, or maybe the author really did interact with Leslie Jordon back in the day. Either way, I found it distracting.

I enjoyed that this was a story teen spiritual angst, rather than a standard coming of age. Since I was also seeking some kind of meaning in my e
Daniel Levesque
Such a delightful read, beautifully written. The trials of dear Leonard show the strength gained by being the weird kid at school, the sometime stranger inside of a nuclear family, and a spiritual seeker bearing a map written in a foreign language.
This hilarious coming-of-age story has one of the most adorably geeky protagonists I've ever read. Utterly charming. (I listened to the audio book, and thought the narrator, Jake Lewis, did a great job.)
Finally read this one, I had to wait until I was away from the bustle of home. Love it, it's funny, witty, and shows what tards we can all be without making mincemeat of us (humanity, that is). Bravo!
Beiza added it
Nov 05, 2015
Ali marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Rie marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Philip marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Diego Gómez
Diego Gómez marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Samuel Raftery
Samuel Raftery marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Macartney marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
Alvin Orloff began writing in 1977 as the teenage lyricist for The Blowdryers, an early San Francisco Punk band. He spent the 1980s dabbling in avant garde theater, underground cabaret, performance art, and nightclub DJing before remembering all he ever wanted to be was a writer. He is currently working on a memoir about shiftless no-account club kids during the AIDS era he promises won't be total ...more
More about Alvin Orloff...