Start by marking “Gently to the Summit” as Want to Read:
Gently to the Summit

Gently to the Summit (Chief Superintendent Gently #8)

A long-dead climber who comes in from the cold brings murder to the mountain air. Mountaineer Reginald Kincaid was believed to have died during an expedition to climb Mount Everest. It comes as a shock to his fellow climbers when he turns up again 22 years later and the mystery is compounded by the death of Arthur Fleece, Kincaid's climbing partner on the Everest attempt. ...more
Published November 3rd 2011 by Robinson Publishing (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Gently to the Summit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gently to the Summit

Pauline Ross
This is the ninth in the series about the genial but sharp-eyed detective, George Gently, and just in case anyone out there is paying attention, yes, I did miss out number eight. OK, so I got confused, alright? There are forty-something in the series, so this is a problem that's only likely to get worse. One thing that's interesting about reading the whole sequence in order (well, more or less) is the subtle but noticeable change in approach. In the early books, Gently sucked peppermint creams c ...more
Gerry
Aug 11, 2012 Gerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
George Gently an unlikely mountaineer! He finds himself investigating a rather odd situation in that a supposed long-dead climber from 1937 suddenly turns up 22 years later.

There was mystery surrounding the mountaineer's disappearance on Everest and when he arrives back in England after so long a time, there is suspicion that all is not as it seems, or even that the person is not who he claims to be.

A feud from years ago comes to light; a climb up Snowdon results in a death. Was the returning mo
Cara
May 18, 2013 Cara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I love the BBC series based off of these books. Overall, I thought it was good and the mystery was really twisted and the outcome was not at all what I expected it to be. It was well written. The only reason I am only giving it a 3/5 is because I found it to be a little slow, but that's probably just because I prefer young adult to adult books.
Pamela
Quirky story about the reappearance of a mountaineer who disappeared during an Everest expedition. Gently has to determine whether the man is who he claims to be, and whether he is involved in the suspicious death of a fellow mountaineer.

I generally enjoy the Gently series, they are gentle undemanding stories with a quiet and likeable protagonist. This one was for me superior to the others I've read. There are two plot lines that you know have to be connected, but I couldn't work out how in adva
Kate
""Murder taints the mountain air when a long-dead climber comes in from the cold.

"Mountaineer Reginald Kincaid disappeared during an expedition to climb Mount Everest. His body was never recovered, lost on the mountain slopes like so many other casualties of the quest for the world's highest peak -- so it comes as a shock to his fellow climbers when he turns up again 22 years later. Is this man really Kincaid? How could he possibly have survived? The mystery invokes suspicion when Kincaid's clim
Lindahawkes
I started reading this series because I like the TV series. As usual the books are better. The Character of Genly is much more developed and slightly different than on TV.

This book however is not quite as good as some of the previous in the series. It starts off on a good premise. A man (Kincaid) has been presumed dead for 20 years but turns up one day. Chaos ensues because the town is divided over the truth of his story. People who should know him best are at odds. Because he "died" on a climb
Rich
Oct 19, 2014 Rich rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never not finished a book, but I confess that this is the first and hopefully last time..
As much as I like the character and previous novels, I found this to be mundane and again slightly repetitive. It is a shame because I feel that they can offer so much more.
Alas for now I'm calling it quits. I hope to return to them again in the future. Please don't let this put any future readers off!
John Little
Apr 15, 2014 John Little rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 7th George Gently novel that I have read, and whereas I am not enjoying the stories as much, Alan Hunter is well worth reading if you want to write about a detective who keeps playing with his pipes.
Jack
Jan 05, 2012 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mountaineering death takes George Gently to North Wales for a change - very different to East Anglia.
Carolyn Hammond
Sep 12, 2015 Carolyn Hammond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gentle, Gently story with a new, young sidekick from Wales who is often frustrated and then awed by Gently's inscrutable methods of detection. Big twist at the end.
Andrea
The strongest of these I've read so far. Still not in re-read territory, but I kept being drawn back to the story, wanting to see how it ended, even though I'd guessed at the answer to the mystery.
Betty
Betty rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2017
Martin
Martin rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2013
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2014
Terry Ebenezer
Terry Ebenezer rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Alan
Alan rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2014
Duncan Hugh Leslie
Duncan Hugh Leslie rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2016
Reid Gravelle
Reid Gravelle rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2016
Jeffmoriber
Jeffmoriber rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2014
David Swanepoel
David Swanepoel rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2014
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2013
Ian
Ian rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Margie Dorn
Margie Dorn rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016
R.W. Clark
R.W. Clark rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Melanie
Melanie rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Karlynn
Karlynn rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Kay
Kay rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2012
Alan Wayman
Alan Wayman rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
121979
Alan Hunter was born at Hoveton, Norfolk and went to school across the River Bure in Wroxham. He left school at 14 and worked on his father's farm near Norwich. He enjoyed dinghy sailing on the Norfolk Broads, wrote natural history notes for the local newspaper, and wrote poetry, some of which was published while he was in the Royal Air Force during the Second World War.

He married, in 1944, Adelai
More about Alan Hunter...

Chief Superintendent Gently (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Gently Does It