Start by marking “Kissed by a Fox: And Other Stories of Friendship in Nature” as Want to Read:
Kissed by a Fox: And Other Stories of Friendship in Nature

Kissed by a Fox: And Other Stories of Friendship in Nature

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  15 reviews
"Dissatisfaction with nature flows throughout Western civilization, as deep as its blood, as abiding as its bones. Convinced to the marrow that something is deeply wrong with nature, . . . the Western world tries to remake it into something better."
For Priscilla Stuckey, this is a fundamental and heartbreaking misconception: that nature can be fixed, exploited, or simply
Unknown Binding, 384 pages
Published September 1st 2012 by Counterpoint LLC (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Kissed by a Fox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kissed by a Fox

Jenny Checchia
This book has challenged the way I preceive my world. I live in New York City, a place I considered having no nature and no connection to the planet as it use to be. After reading Kissed by a Fox I see nature everywhere! And I say hello. In return I find myself less lonely and isolated. Bugs, plants, animals, the sky, all of it is beautiful and interesting and I am connected to it. This gentle writer taught me about how humans have evolved in their relationship to the earth and how illness and s ...more
Debbie "DJ" Wilson
This book takes an in-depth look at our relationship with the earth. I loved reading about the emotions of animals, and all things living...including rocks. This is a powerful read that is part memoir, part philosophical / religious and thus historical account of why we hold the feelings we do. The author has spent a lot of time researching how our current attitudes have taken hold. How we see the world in a mechanical way and our need to dominate the earth instead of live in tune with it. The o ...more
Robert Hill
This is one of those books that needs to be read reflectively. It is very spiritual reading. Their is more personal story than I thought there would be when I first began to read. There is much recounting of loss and of love. It is a story of healing. It could be presented as a course in philosophy, religion and certainly spirituality. I appreciated the depth of history of various economists and philosophers. I really enjoyed the recounting of alternative medical practices that the author discus ...more
Page Lambert
Okay, I confess. I want this title. I want this cover. I covet the complexity of this accomplished work and the gracious wisdom of this accomplished author.

To read Priscilla Stuckey’s memoir KISSED BY A FOX requires patience – it is not for the reader seeking a “fast book” experience. But if you’re drawn to the slow food movement, which is all about savoring each bite and commitment to environment and community, then you’re the perfect reader for this Counterpoint Press release.

I just posted m
Heather kranz
This book took me a while to finish. I felt so melancholy after every reading. The writer was depressed a lot in her personal parts of the story, plus the topic itself was sad. The author has a masters and doctorate degree in religious studies and she applied it to help understand our disconnect to the natural world. I learned three things. 1) our human history of religion and philosophy brought us to nature and took us away again. The paradigms of the times influenced our thoughts and perceptio ...more
Marilyn

An important new writer named Priscilla Stuckey comes to us now with her first delicious nonfiction memoir Kissed By a Fox. I was drawn to it so intensely that I did something I have never done. I read the whole of it over one 24 hour period. You might say I steeped myself in it, and this steeping richly fed me.
It’s a personal story, and that story gains compelling depth because Stuckey offers not just her story of disaffection from nature and the long journey back into oneness with the earth.
Donna
This book is a beautifully written biography that also goes deep into our relations with nature, plants, animals and spirituality. You will also learn much about spiritual traditions, economics, history, western cultures, other cultures and much more. Priscilla is an acquaintance that I have known through environmental groups and now having bought this book from her as she was moving away from Boulder, I felt like this book has gotten me to know her on a much deeper level. Blessings, Priscilla, ...more
Caroline Cottom
I loved this book. It is much more than stories about the author's encounters with nature. Stuckey uses each personal encounter as a jumping off point to explore the meaning of life, death, love, commitment, and many other big issues. It is beautifully and thoughtfully written.
Amrita Skye
I loved the direct interactions with animals and nature, the beautiful section on saving the creek in Berkeley. The rest rest got a bit heady for me.
Kathy Kaiser
I couldn't put this book down. Stuckey has an amazing ability to "communicate" with nature, and her stories stretched my awareness of the animal and plant world. She combines these tales with the shameful history of how humans have treated nature, which is made worse by the realization of nature's "intelligence." This book made me,in turn, angry, sad and inspired. In the end it is hopeful, especially if we consider a change in our attitudes.
Sylvia Walker
Beautifully written. Explains in detail how we've become alienated from and indifferent to nature. I would point out that it's not only native peoples who have special insights into nature; many Christians are drawn into Creation Care, too. No disagreements about where our greed and materialism are leading us, and the Planet, though!
David Holtzclaw
Kissed By A Fox, is an elegantly written book, that puts nature into a whole new perspective. From the poetry of Rumi, to the thorough historical narrative, it's enlightening,delightful,& completely entertaining! I won this book through the Goodreads-First Read giveaway,& would highly recommend it!
Anna Gabur
To me this book was the love child of a hipster diary and a bad doctorate thesis which contains so many fallacies that I will not even bother enumerating them.
LibraryLady
An interesting read with metaphysical and historical information in addition to the author's personal anecdotes.
Babs
The book seem to have elements I would really enjoy. However, it fell short for me.
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Tonia Peckover
Tonia Peckover marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Robert Ellington
Robert Ellington marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Victor Cosby
Victor Cosby marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Ralee
Ralee marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Animals, Nature, Spirituality, Health, Grief 1 3 Dec 14, 2012 08:15AM
  • Corvus: A Life with Birds
  • Zombie Tits, Astronaut Fish and Other Weird Animals
  • Writers on Writing: Collected Essays from ''The New York Times''
  • Providence of a Sparrow: Lessons from a Life Gone to the Birds
  • Trolls
  • The Bluebird Effect: Uncommon Bonds with Common Birds
  • Settled in the Wild: Notes from the Edge of Town
  • The Turquoise Ledge: A Memoir
  • Part Wild: One Woman's Journey with a Creature Caught Between the Worlds of Wolves and Dogs
  • Wolves at Our Door: The Extraordinary Story of the Couple Who Lived with Wolves
  • Dirt Work: An Education in the Woods
  • The Rescue of Belle and Sundance: One Town's Incredible Race to Save Two Abandoned Horses
  • Trespass: Living at the Edge of the Promised Land
  • I Am Maru
  • The Homing Instinct: Meaning and Mystery in Animal Migration
  • My Green Manifesto: Down the Charles River in Pursuit of a New Environmentalism
  • A Sting in the Tale: My Adventures with Bumblebees
  • Becoming Animal: An Earthly Cosmology
Priscilla Stuckey is passionate about reconnecting people with nature. Her award-winning memoir, Kissed by a Fox: And Other Stories of Friendship in Nature (Counterpoint Press), interweaves heart-opening stories of connecting with a dog, a creek, or a tree with insights drawn from ecology, natural sciences, and many spiritual traditions in a creative nonfiction book that will rekindle your love of ...more
More about Priscilla Stuckey...
Finding Home in Santa Fe: Essays from New Mexico Beyond Divorce: Stop the Pain, Rekindle Your Happiness, and Put Purpose Back in Your Life

“If mind belongs to humans alone, then stones, trees, and streams become mere objects of human tinkering. We can plunder the earth's resources with impunity, treating creeks and mountaintops in Kentucky or rivers in India or forests in northwest America as if they existed only for economic development. Systems of land and river become inert chunks of lifeless mud or mechanical runs of H2O rather than the living, breathing bodies upon which we and all other creatures depend for our very lives.

Not to mention what 'nature as machine' has done to our emotional and spiritual well-being. When we regard nature as churning its way forward mindlessly through time, we turn our backs on mystery, shunning the complexity as well as the delights of relationship. We isolate ourselves from the rest of the creatures with whom we share this world. We imagine ourselves the apex of creation -- a lonely spot indeed. Human minds become the measure of creation and human thoughts become the only ones that count. The result is a concept of mind shorn of its wild connections, in which feelings become irrelevant, daydreams are mere distractions, and nighttime dreams -- if we attend to them at all -- are but the cast-offs of yesterday's overactive brain. Mind is cut off from matter, untouched by exingencies of mud or leaf, shaped by whispers or gales of wind, as if we were not, like rocks, made of soil.

And then we wonder at our sadness and depression, not realizing that our own view of reality has sunk us into an unbearable solipsism, an agony of separateness -- from loved ones, from other creatures, from rich but unruly emotions, in short, from our ability to connect, through senses and feeling and imagination, with the world that is our home.”
2 likes
“[But] just as unseen worlds unfold to those who read a book, so worlds hidden to hurried sight unfold to those who choose to spend more than a few moments cultivating their relationship with nature. Paying attention is the key: we interact with each other when we allow it to engage our attention, when we 'read' it with absorption, as we would read a book. [Even] the ficus tree in the office cubicle or the oak planted in the urban sidewalk offers undreamed-of wonders to those who pay attention. Just because to literate people reading a book is unremarkable, available to anyone who can learn the alphabet, it is no less magical. Among my people, children are taught to read books; among some other peoples, children are taught to read the trees.” 2 likes