Start by marking “The Not Yet” as Want to Read:
The Not Yet

The Not Yet

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  26 reviews
It's 2121. The Heirs control society's resources from their lavish walled city-states. Through life extension, they live hundreds of years. Outside, the poor barely survive. Malcolm de Lazarus, twenty, is a "Not Yet"--one counting on joining the elite. But when his fortune mysteriously disappears, he must sail to the chaotic New Orleans Islands for answers. On the way, he ...more
Published April 15th 2012 by Uno Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Not Yet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Not Yet

Bart Everson
The hook is kind of irresistible: a science fiction novel set in New Orleans, a hundred-some years in the future.

It's perfectly counter-intuitive. New Orleans is a city where the past seems so close at hand, a city in love with its own history, a city where old ways and traditions persist. There's a reason why the Space Needle and the Science Fiction Museum are up in the other corner of the country.

The floods of 2005 called the city's future into question, but the city survived and was transfor
Mark Folse
Mar 17, 2013 Mark Folse rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: top-shelf
A deft and frightening vision of a future deeply rooted in our society's current problems, it is a 1984 for our times. Crone stands shoulder to shoulder with Orwell, Atwood and LeGuin, and reminds us that great speculative literature should never be pigeon-holed by genre. A compelling plot in a convincing future world, Malcolm de Lazarus' vision quest for the real Reveal is one every thoughtful reader should undertake.
Sazerac
This is a compelling book with the capacity to appeal to a wide range of readers. It is part of a trend in literary fiction to dispense with the segregation of genre. Science fiction as a defined culture has a rich tradition which has been stigmatized. It is marginalized by the mainstream as acclaimed authors borrow tropes, some while vehemently denying any association with the genre.

In Stalking the Billion-Footed Beast and Hooking Up, Tom Wolfe bemoans the declining relevance of the novel and s
Danielle
If you're a dabbler in the genre of science fiction like me, you'll want to wait until you're in the mood to seriously geek out before picking up The Not Yet. Here's a basic intro: it's about 100 years in the future, New Orleans (now Re-New Orleans) has succumbed to the rising sea level and is a group of island enclaves. The words death & dying are considered curse words, those who except the cycle of birth-life-death are considered fringe cultish outcasts, and people called the Heirs (who'v ...more
Christine Wiltz
This book is so prescient. I live in New Orleans, and Moira Crone has caught the city as it is and as it may very likely be in the future. Her dystopian, fantastical novel has its own fully realized world, one with its own culture and language, and it hooks you from the very beginning. Her characters are quirky, amazing, strange and all very well developed. Malcolm, her protagonist, has been groomed all his life to be one of the elite, those who live long and privileged lives, who may get the ch ...more
Lee
I am normally not drawn to dystopian works, The Not Yet held my attention, kept me wanting more. I was drawn in and wanted answers. I wanted to understand how this world functioned. The question of immortality is one that is both universal and abstract. People who enjoy books like The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood should definitely give The Not Yet by Moira Crone a try.
Naomi Bayer
My dear friend, Moira, gave me a copy of her new book. A future vision that is both frightening and hopeful--set in a flooded New Orleans with a Rehoboth Beach cameo. I was hooked and read late into the night to finish. Kudos!
Kevin
Aug 02, 2012 Kevin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kevin by: Bart Everson
You should probably read Bart's review which is simple, to the point, and effective.

Or go on and read my blather, I don't mind.

The first hundred or so pages I devoured as if I hadn't read anything good in a while, which in some ways was true. I mean I just finished some Capote which was great but my last foray into dystopian sci-fi that really thrilled me was Peter Watts and that was ... a year ago? I was glad to have something dragging me back 'round, even if (because?) it's not as horribly pes
I got this book by New Orleans author Crone, in an awesome bookstore in NOLA called Faulkner House books. The bookstore is in a house where Faulkner once lived, right next to St. Louis Cathedral and on a street called Pirate's Alley. It was lovely and I wanted to get something by a local scifi or fantasy author but the clerk said there aren't many in New Orleans. Luckily, I managed to stumble across this book. Crone's dystopian vision of a New Orleans nearly completely submerged by rising sea wa ...more
Lania Knight
I'm on chapter three, and I'm totally hooked. Islands of New Orleans! Brilliant!

(a month later) Oh, I did try to read this slowly, tried to savor it, but I couldn't help myself. So gorgeous, so believable, and so devastating. Crone creates a totally real character in Malcolm, but he is only the beginning. He is the ambassador of this terrible, strange, futuristic world where the wealthiest can (at last) escape death while the rest of us live in squalor. The landscape has changed, and my beloved
Caroline Mersey
Moira Crone's novel is an incredibly topical exploration of divisions and stratification in society. What happens when the haves and have nots become so far separated that the entire basis of society becomes reshaped?

Crone's novel acts as a parable about the US healthcare system as well as the destructive nature of an unscalable divide between rich and poor. The 1% have achieved near-immortality through expensive medical treatments. The 'Protos' and those who joined the programme early have bec
Michael Hanscom
I had trouble getting into this one -- it was interesting, and has some interesting ideas on mortality and the effects of enhanced longevity, but for some reason, it didn't really pull me in until the last chapter when everything wraps up.
A 4 objectively, but from my personal standpoint, more of a 3.5. Here's my review: http://effusionsofwitandhumour.wordpr...
Mary McMyne
This riveting science fiction novel set in 22nd century "Re-" New Orleans posits an American economy controlled by a single corporation, WELLFI, which sells an expensive Treatment that allows humans to extend their lives indefinitely. Our hero, Malcolm de Lazarus, is a "not yet" trying to secure a trust to fund his Treatment. The plot is masterful, every page filled with suspense; the characters are real and grotesque and full of life; and the descriptions of the ruined New Orleans islands, now ...more
Kallen Kentner
Don’t we dream that perhaps science can one day extend our lifespan far beyond our expectations? In The Not Yet science has practically achieved that goal, altering society.
This book struck the right balance between message and story, in my opinion. Although it explored questions of immortality and the passage of time, it still managed to have an engaging plot and a main character that I could empathize with.

Read the full review on GeekyLibrary.
Crystal
Is there a material timespace beyond consequences? What if that ideal became the new imperial belief system? Crone dares to serve up transhumanist speculation and political allegory set in and around 22nd-century "New Orleans." The novel is resonant, well-constructed, and richly-imagined. Lots of twisting taboos and twisting knives. New Orleanians with a dark turn of mind will find it prescient of detail. RIYL J. G. Ballard, The Hunger Games, 'tit Rex, Roger Sterling, #Occupy

THIS IS ONE HELL OF
Tom
I thought I'd give this independently published author a try after a computer generated recommendation. Unfortunately, I abandoned this book after 50 pages. There wasn't anything that held my interest. The sci-fi elements were minimal. Also, the author switches between three time periods in the main character's life. It's a mechanism I greatly dislike. The author mainly publishes short stories so perhaps that is where her strength lies.
Paula
I've already forgotten what I thought about his book. It seemed derivative. In fact, rightly or wrongly, brought to mind David Mitchell's "An Orison of Sonmi--451" in Cloud Atlas. I don't think that Crone has completely imagined her dystopian futuristic society. Something is missing to make it both convincing & engaging. I don't know what that something is. It just doesn't, for the most part, seem "new" to me in its vision.
Rebecca Schwarz
I really enjoyed this book about a future where haves get near infinite life extension. A look at how society might splinter under this change and brilliantly set in a post-flood New Orleans. Makes me wish I was more familiar with that city, I'm sure it would make this book even more resonant.
Jeannekessler
I'm a fool for anything dystopian, so I'm really enjoying this. Also, the futuristic flooded New Orleans twist is great. She is an excellent writer - with quite a rich style, so while it isn't as easy a read as it could've been, it's extremely rewarding.
Sue Davis
Not the best of this genre but not the worst either. Best part was Lazurus' autobiography explaining the implications of prolonging life for some members of the society on the economy, social, legal, and political system.
Covingtoncat73
I love dystopia and this was sent in my hometown! It is quite poetic in parts and timely. After seeing the picture of the 74-year-old Jane Fonda at Cannes, I turned to my mother and said, "Jane's an Heir."
mayhugh
Eternity is in love with the productions of time. - William Blake
Mae
This book was all over the place and hard to get into.
Falbs
"I was angry, and anger always catches you up."
Lisa Zeidner
Loved the wit and imagination.
Krzysztof Mathews
Krzysztof Mathews marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
  • Yarn
  • Sherwood Nation
  • The Madonna and the Starship
  • The Company Man
  • The Wicked (Something Red, #2)
  • Equations of Life (Samuil Petrovitch, #1)
  • Carson of Venus (Venus, #3)
  • Shadows of the New Sun: Stories in Honor of Gene Wolfe
  • Helix Wars
  • Undercity (Major Baahjan, #1)
  • State of Decay (Revivors, #1)
  • Reach for Infinity
Dream State The Ice Garden What Gets Into Us: Stories Period of Confinement Winnebago Mysteries and Other Stories