Start by marking “Mean Season” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Mean Season

Heather Cochran

Mean Season

What would you do if a movie star was living under your roof?

Prepping for his new movie in the tiny town of Pinecob, West Virginia, up-and-coming actor Joshua Reed lands himself another drunk-driving conviction, this time involving a stolen limo, a dark country road and a cow. Rather than let him rot in jail for the summer, twenty-five-year-old Leanne Gitlin, his fan club
ebook
Published August 15th 2012 by Red Dress Ink (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mean Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mean Season

Maudeen Wachsmith
First of all I want to say this: Run, don't walk, to your nearest bookstore and get this book! And keep reading it. It is not mundane as the beginning would have you believe.

What was there not to like about this book? First of all, the main character, Leanne Gitlin is so real. Probably one of the most "real" characters I've ever read about. Her emotions, desires, and dreams were spot on. Leanne has been president of the Joshua Reed fan club for eight years ever since he was a soap opera star an
Becky Hartley
Eh...I read this because I was bored & I started it. It wasn't the greatest book ever, but it wasn't horrible either. You don't have to think too deeply on this one and it only took me a couple times of reading to get through it.
Just - The romance reader
Mean Season is the charming story of a small town girl who in attempting to do a good deed to help out a celeb facing criminal charges and stranded in her small town on house arrest.

Leeanne, who is president of the Joshua Reed fan club, allows him to spend 90 days with her home, when he lands a DUI and is ordered to serve out his time under house arrest in her small town of Pinecob, WV. While the invitation is not a welcome for Joshua, he has no other option, and very grudgingly joins Leeanne an
Adobe
Apr 13, 2014 Adobe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After yet another DUI conviction, actor Joshua Reed is assigned to house-arrest under the roof of his fan-club president, Leanne Gitlin, in a small West Virginia town. Joshua isn't thrilled to be there, Leanne becomes increasingly less thrilled to have him there, and both the town and the media have them under intense scrutiny. Hilarious hijinks result!

The book desperately overemphasizes its slight themes as characters helpfully explain and re-explain everyone's motivations and conflicts, and th
Janet Horner
Jul 14, 2013 Janet Horner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was pretty good. Started it thinking I would finish it on vacation but got rather engrossed in the story and just kept reading. Then it became urgent to finish it BEFORE vacation.

Not the type of book I would normally read -- meaning doesn't have a crime twist to it. Really a character study of growing up in a small town and the limitations or opportunities that provides, depending upon the perspective.

A good summer read. Easy and engaging. Have no idea where I got it. Probably a
Nancy Brady
An improbable scenario...the fan club president of a big Hollywood star lives in a Podunk town in West Virginia (near the border of Virginia where he is to shoot his latest movie) ends up house-arrestsitting for same star when he is caught driving DUI in her county. Ninety days seems like a long time when he considers her a hick, or so she thinks. A media frenzy ensues which may cost her her lifelong "crush". Whether it ends happily ever after depends as events, both past and present, domino to ...more
Alisa
Apr 13, 2008 Alisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all chick-lit, you have to suspend some serious disbelief to appreciate the story; the plot is preposterous. There's a famous movie star, a young, beautiful fan club president losing her 20s to care for her family, a disabled brother, and house arrest. But it's a really enjoyable kind of preposterous, and the characters are fleshed out and break out of typical clichés. And for chick-lit, it's pretty good prose. Read it at the beach.
Maria (Ri)
Jan 15, 2011 Maria (Ri) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this original chick lit story! Imagine, a chick lit novel where the protagonist doesn't live in New York or London and work for a publishing company!?! Seriously, I found this a change of pace from the typical fare - honest characters, pretty believable dialogue. I was even able to suspend my belief about the situation of house arrest - that premise is a little far fetched, but I was able to get over that quickly.
Deborah
Jul 06, 2010 Deborah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, fiction
Leanne remains in Pinecob, WV, taking care of the house, her brother and does whatever chores her mother asks of her. She is the president of Joshua Reed's fan club. Joshua is in the area to film a movie, but a drink driving incident lands him in jail. The judge rules that he may remain under house arrest in Leanne's home for 90-days.
Tracy
Nov 13, 2007 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mean Season was a unique idea. I loved all the characters. I related well to the main character, star struck and running a fan club (I never ran a fan club but I sure wanted to be part of one when I was younger). The only thing I did not like was at times I forgot the MC was in her 20s. She seemed very young at times. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and will read more by the author.
Lauren
This book has been on my list for a bit and I vaguely thought I read it before. After reading first page, I realized I had read it before but couldn't remember what happened so I finished it again. Vaguely similar to Win A Date With Tad Hamilton. Leanne wasn't my favorite protagonist but she was okay. Plus I was rooting for Joshua not Max. Easy, quick read so no harm
Catherine
Jul 11, 2009 Catherine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chic-lit, 2009
This wasn't the worst book I ever read. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I guess I should thank that part of myself that feels defeated when I don't finish a book, because it actually was worth slogging through the vapid beginning. That said, I won't reread Mean Season. I found it predictable and generally uninteresting. Heather Cochran seems to think in terms of stereotypes.
Brooke
Aug 29, 2014 Brooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars...

A nice sentimental story that has a happy ending, but not too happy. A story about a young woman who is struggling with her identity within her family. More serious than the usual lighthearted "chicklit" I read, but very enjoyable. I will definitely look for more from this author.
Becky
Nov 29, 2008 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in 4 or 5 days, on the subway, or here and there when I had a few minutes of time. It's pretty poorly written, but the story line is entertaining enough. I wouldn't say it's a must read, but if someone you know has a copy and you don't have anything else to do...why not give it a try?
Karyn Buchanan
Jun 27, 2016 Karyn Buchanan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leanne is at a crossroads in her life. Should she stay in her little hometown or venture out to a new place. The world comes to her door in the form of Joshua, a famous movie star who is nothing be trouble. Not to be missed.
Cassandra
Inizio mortalmente noioso, a metà si intravede un po' di luce ma il finale è deprimente e troppo abbozzato. Insomma, non mi è piaciuto molto.
Tricia
Jul 22, 2008 Tricia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun summer read with some interesting plot points. Definitely not Shakespeare but a fun book nonetheless.
Cinthia
2.5-3 stars.. it was an okay/good book,,,,,i wanted more romance though
Lisa
Sep 19, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best I've read in a long time!!
Charity
Jun 13, 2007 Charity rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat disappointed with this selection from Red Dress Ink because the storyline was a little cheesy and the characters were pretty flat.

Set in fictional rural West Virginia.
Cab
Cab rated it it was ok
Oct 19, 2013
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
May 19, 2010
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
May 03, 2008
Marianna Gleyzer
Marianna Gleyzer rated it it was ok
May 08, 2014
Gillian
Gillian rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2010
Rachel Rosenthal
Rachel Rosenthal rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2008
Miki58
Miki58 rated it liked it
May 05, 2011
Tebello Mongali
Tebello Mongali rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2012
Lori Baldi
Lori Baldi rated it it was ok
Nov 28, 2010
  • Tallulahland
  • Couch World
  • Speechless
  • Sex with the Ex

“isn't there a point at which the mind should be able to surrender on behalf of the heart? or check it in to an asylum, somewhere safe and locked, if the heart keeps refusing to see a landscape for what it is? yet with some people in life, it seems you just can't lose yourself, even when you should. ” 4 likes
“i think about those twists of fate, the strange run-ins that can alter everything in the blink of an eye, or the shift of a single season. ” 4 likes