Start by marking “Mean Season” as Want to Read:
Mean Season

Heather Cochran

Mean Season

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  21 reviews
What would you do if a movie star was living under your roof?

Prepping for his new movie in the tiny town of Pinecob, West Virginia, up-and-coming actor Joshua Reed lands himself another drunk-driving conviction, this time involving a stolen limo, a dark country road and a cow. Rather than let him rot in jail for the summer, twenty-five-year-old Leanne Gitlin, his fan club...more
ebook
Published August 1st 2012 by Red Dress Ink (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mean Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mean Season

Maudeen Wachsmith
First of all I want to say this: Run, don't walk, to your nearest bookstore and get this book! And keep reading it. It is not mundane as the beginning would have you believe.

What was there not to like about this book? First of all, the main character, Leanne Gitlin is so real. Probably one of the most "real" characters I've ever read about. Her emotions, desires, and dreams were spot on. Leanne has been president of the Joshua Reed fan club for eight years ever since he was a soap opera star an...more
Adobe
After yet another DUI conviction, actor Joshua Reed is assigned to house-arrest under the roof of his fan-club president, Leanne Gitlin, in a small West Virginia town. Joshua isn't thrilled to be there, Leanne becomes increasingly less thrilled to have him there, and both the town and the media have them under intense scrutiny. Hilarious hijinks result!

The book desperately overemphasizes its slight themes as characters helpfully explain and re-explain everyone's motivations and conflicts, and th...more
Just - The romance reader
Mean Season is the charming story of a small town girl who in attempting to do a good deed to help out a celeb facing criminal charges and stranded in her small town on house arrest.

Leeanne, who is president of the Joshua Reed fan club, allows him to spend 90 days with her home, when he lands a DUI and is ordered to serve out his time under house arrest in her small town of Pinecob, WV. While the invitation is not a welcome for Joshua, he has no other option, and very grudgingly joins Leeanne an...more
Turfsgirl
Five stars...

A nice sentimental story that has a happy ending, but not too happy. A story about a young woman who is struggling with her identity within her family. More serious than the usual lighthearted "chicklit" I read, but very enjoyable. I will definitely look for more from this author.
Lauren
This book has been on my list for a bit and I vaguely thought I read it before. After reading first page, I realized I had read it before but couldn't remember what happened so I finished it again. Vaguely similar to Win A Date With Tad Hamilton. Leanne wasn't my favorite protagonist but she was okay. Plus I was rooting for Joshua not Max. Easy, quick read so no harm
lovely ariel
Bello, ma...

non sono per nulla d'accordo sul finale, nonostante finisca a lieto fine, non è il lieto fine che speravo.
Sicuramente una lettura carina :)
Janet Horner
I thought this was pretty good. Started it thinking I would finish it on vacation but got rather engrossed in the story and just kept reading. Then it became urgent to finish it BEFORE vacation.

Not the type of book I would normally read -- meaning doesn't have a crime twist to it. Really a character study of growing up in a small town and the limitations or opportunities that provides, depending upon the perspective.

A good summer read. Easy and engaging. Have no idea where I got it. Probably a...more
Nancy Brady
An improbable scenario...the fan club president of a big Hollywood star lives in a Podunk town in West Virginia (near the border of Virginia where he is to shoot his latest movie) ends up house-arrestsitting for same star when he is caught driving DUI in her county. Ninety days seems like a long time when he considers her a hick, or so she thinks. A media frenzy ensues which may cost her her lifelong "crush". Whether it ends happily ever after depends as events, both past and present, domino to...more
Alisa
Like all chick-lit, you have to suspend some serious disbelief to appreciate the story; the plot is preposterous. There's a famous movie star, a young, beautiful fan club president losing her 20s to care for her family, a disabled brother, and house arrest. But it's a really enjoyable kind of preposterous, and the characters are fleshed out and break out of typical clichés. And for chick-lit, it's pretty good prose. Read it at the beach.
Maria (Ri)
I really enjoyed this original chick lit story! Imagine, a chick lit novel where the protagonist doesn't live in New York or London and work for a publishing company!?! Seriously, I found this a change of pace from the typical fare - honest characters, pretty believable dialogue. I was even able to suspend my belief about the situation of house arrest - that premise is a little far fetched, but I was able to get over that quickly.
Catherine
This wasn't the worst book I ever read. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I guess I should thank that part of myself that feels defeated when I don't finish a book, because it actually was worth slogging through the vapid beginning. That said, I won't reread Mean Season. I found it predictable and generally uninteresting. Heather Cochran seems to think in terms of stereotypes.
Tracy
Mean Season was a unique idea. I loved all the characters. I related well to the main character, star struck and running a fan club (I never ran a fan club but I sure wanted to be part of one when I was younger). The only thing I did not like was at times I forgot the MC was in her 20s. She seemed very young at times. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and will read more by the author.
Deborah
Leanne remains in Pinecob, WV, taking care of the house, her brother and does whatever chores her mother asks of her. She is the president of Joshua Reed's fan club. Joshua is in the area to film a movie, but a drink driving incident lands him in jail. The judge rules that he may remain under house arrest in Leanne's home for 90-days.
Becky
I read this book in 4 or 5 days, on the subway, or here and there when I had a few minutes of time. It's pretty poorly written, but the story line is entertaining enough. I wouldn't say it's a must read, but if someone you know has a copy and you don't have anything else to do...why not give it a try?
Charity
Somewhat disappointed with this selection from Red Dress Ink because the storyline was a little cheesy and the characters were pretty flat.

Set in fictional rural West Virginia.
Cassandra
Inizio mortalmente noioso, a metà si intravede un po' di luce ma il finale è deprimente e troppo abbozzato. Insomma, non mi è piaciuto molto.
Patricia
A fun summer read with some interesting plot points. Definitely not Shakespeare but a fun book nonetheless.
Kim
I really liked it. It was a chick lit, beach read, with a little more substance.
Bekkah
Great read. I didn't enjoy the ending though. Probably would re-write the ending.

Cinthia
2.5-3 stars.. it was an okay/good book,,,,,i wanted more romance though
Mimsey Thompson
Good first book. Hoping the author can get it made into a movie!
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
elena
elena marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Tzivi
Tzivi marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
  • Hit Reply
  • Summer in the Land of Skin (Red Dress Ink)
  • Bombshell
  • Strapless
  • Speechless
  • It's Not You, It's Me
  • The Last Year Of Being Single (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Up & Out (Red Dress Ink)
  • Dating Can Be Deadly
  • The Breakup Club (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Loose Screws
  • L.A. Woman
  • Lost & Found (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Fat Chance
  • The Funeral Planner
  • Seven Sunny Days
  • The Pact (Rachel Benjamin, #1)
  • The Night I Got Lucky
The Return Of Jonah Gray Nashville: City of Note

“i think about those twists of fate, the strange run-ins that can alter everything in the blink of an eye, or the shift of a single season. ” 4 likes
“isn't there a point at which the mind should be able to surrender on behalf of the heart? or check it in to an asylum, somewhere safe and locked, if the heart keeps refusing to see a landscape for what it is? yet with some people in life, it seems you just can't lose yourself, even when you should. ” 3 likes