Start by marking “Sea Glass” as Want to Read:
Sea Glass

Maria V. Snyder

Sea Glass (Glass #2)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  11,585 ratings  ·  668 reviews
Student glass magician Opal Cowan's newfound ability to steal a magician's powers makes her too powerful. Ordered to house arrest by the Council, Opal dares defy them, traveling to the Moon Clan's lands in search of Ulrick, the man she thinks she loves. Thinks because another man--now her prisoner--claims Ulrick's desire for blood magic has eclipsed his passion for her.

In
Published August 1st 2012 by Mira Books (first published August 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sea Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea Glass

Milly
What can I say, I was a little dismayed by Sea Glass. Perhaps because I expected more out of this second book. Perhaps because I thought Opal's character was going to be more interesting and her adventures more daring and intriguing. However, none of that came into fruition, at least in my opinion.

The book didn't really pick up for me until the last 100 pages. I felt that the first 200 pages dawdled and there were chapters that seem indulgent and unconsequential. I know Maria Snyder was trying
Now that the Council have found out about Opal's ability to steal other magician's powers they immediately see her as a threat. No matter how much she has done for them in the past it is all worth nothing now and they now want her under house arrest inside the Citadel where they can monitor her activities and decide what to do with her. The worst thing of all is that nobody believes her when she tells them that Devlen and Ulrick have swapped bodies so now Devlen has free reign of the Citadel and ...more
Swiftsea
This book drove me a little crazy. I found that too many things were occurring at the same time. Just like a whirlwind, Opal was involved in too many things.

Moreover, the deaths of many of the glass-makers frustrated me a little. I found it unnecessary to kill them off. Too many authors use the 'only person capable' routine to accentuate the importance of their protagonists.

However, what irritated me the most was definitely Opal's relationships with men. Her constant desire to rescue Ulrick wh
Julie
If I were to write an action adventure story with magical and fantastical elements, I would write a book exactly like “Sea Glass”. But since I’m not ambitious or imaginative enough to write an actual novel, I’m glad Maria V. Snyder can and did.

“Sea Glass” is the second book in Maria’s latest trilogy. It complements the first book perfectly, even upping the excitement and intrigue level a notch. There is enough magic, mystery, blood magic, humor, cameos, political intrigue and action to keep you
Kirsten
WOW! I literally did a fan girl squeel into my pillow like two...okay three... OKAY, five times while reading this. I love it. It was better than Storm glass by a mile and half and I loved the evolution of Opal's character through this book. I can't stand it when the female charcter is a door mat. And by the end of Sea Glass Opal is anything the but the sweet push over that she is when the series begins! :D

I'm so mad I have to wait till September to read what happens! I can't get enough of Snyde
Dee
Brilliant! Was flipping through the pages at high speed.

Am always satisfied by Snyder's books. In this series the concept of Opal's magic makes for a fun read. I really wanted her to ping more magic into her orb! :) The dark can be pretty dark (particularly in the Study series), but the resolution is always completely satisfying. Aahh... I love it when an author is clever enough to finish a book well.

What I love the most about this book is the growth in Opal's character from the beginning of th
Lexie
I'll start off first by saying--omg how much did I want this book? I might be a little biased, since I have adored the series since the very first, but I'm so glad I got a copy a little early. Next, for those of you who haven't yet gotten around to reading Storm Glass (for whatever reason, I don't judge) don't feel that you'll be lost jumping into this second book. The first 100 pages or so of Sea Glass has a pretty intensive overview of what happens in the first book through interactions and co ...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
It's always a bad idea to start off a book review with negatives, which is why I tend to follow the same structure each time: summary, positives, negatives, overall. When it comes to the second book in a Fantasy series, though, I don't know how to give a summary and not give everything away or at least spoil the first book. It just seems like too much work and I'm too lazy. So I'm ditching my usual structure and just spewing thoughts as they come.

I find myself fairly ambivalent towards this seri
Michele
I love these books. There is all the action and excitement, but, I have a problem with Opal.
***Spoiler Alert!!!***

She has no confidence in her own abilities and allows everyone to walk all over her. But, when she decides to gain control and take over her life the fireworks start. I love Opal with a backbone, you go girl!! Now lets discuss Opal's other little problem. Who is it that Opal really wants? Does Opal want to be involved with Kade the safe secure choice or Devlin, a man she has good
Andrea
Carien
This book seemed to suffer from middle book syndrome.

There are a couple of story hooks introduced that seem to go nowhere at this moment and that I can only assume will be picked up in book three.

Otherwise the story is both frustrating and intriguing. There's lots of stuff going on and I had to keep reading to find out how everything would fit together.

The love square from book one was reduced to a love triangle and while my favorite character was still Opal's main squeeze, again there were lots
Siobhan
Opal Cowan is growing in power... this is a superb second book to the trilogy. I really like the style of this writer, her imagination relating to the evolution of the magic that the lead characters acquire and then learn to master is brilliant. She then applies this to huge consequences and events which both shape the plot of the book and provide the depth to the characters and sub plots.
Opal is a wonderful focus for this book, she has a fabulously rounded personality with many qualities and i
Jade
Well what can I say? Snyder did it again. She kept me glued to the page in the really fun, action packed continuation of 'Storm Glass'. I must admit, being a big fan of the 'Poison Study' series, finding out that the 'Glass' series, was going to be told from Opals point of view was a bit of a let down. Her character was rather flat in the 'Study' series, and we didn't really get the chance to know her. But I persisted through the next book and ended up loving it. Sea Glass was lovely, filled wit ...more
Jadin
I definitely give this story four and half stars! I think this is Ms. Snyder's best book since Poison Study. I will agree with my friend Misty who thought the first 75 pages were difficult and I agree with her reasoning ... I just didn't remember enough of Storm Glass to get connected with Sea Glass right away. I will admit that I am one of the people who complain when I pick up a series book and the first third of it is setting up the scene from previous books (Are you listening Laurell?) but w ...more
mlady_rebecca
As I said in the review for "Storm Glass", I read the first two books in this trilogy back to back - three days for two books. So it's hard to show the dividing line between this and the previous book.

I guess the biggest dividing line between the two books is the fact that the Magicians and the Council now look at Opal differently - (1) knowing she has the ability to steal another magician's magic, and (2) doubting her claims that there are individuals out there using blood magic.

She goes from b
Samantha
Samantha The Escapist
Man Snyder drives me nuts. I don't know how I feel about this book because on the one hand I'm usually pretty content with her stories and worlds and humor and even her ham-fisted metaphors are cute most of the time, but she just drives me nuts!

Interestingly enough, I liked Opal. I mean, she moped a lot and quite often during her narrative I got an image of an inconsolable drunk sitting in the corner of a bar babbling about her mistakes - BUT at least she felt like a real person, more so than Ye
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Rating* 3
*Genre* Fantasy/Science Fiction

*Review*

Glass Magician Opal Cowan is a danger to magicians in Sitia. She has the ability to steal a magicians power with her glass orbs. But, more important to her is the fact that Devlen and Ulrick have switched bodies via a blood magic transfer and she has to try to figure out a way to let someone in authority know what happened.

Opal's one saving grace to the Council is her unique ability to make glass messengers that allow magicians across Sitia to com
Alicia
An intense, enjoyable continuation of the series, if perhaps a tiny bit repetitive. I'm starting to feel just slightly burned out on this series for the same reason that I know a lot of readers got tired of the Poison Study series, which is that there certainly seems to be a never-ending flow of kidnappings, beatings, assaults, torture and attacks for Yelena and Opal, our poor featured Sitian women. It does get to be a bit over-done and repetitive, and after a while you start to wonder if there ...more
Lydia Presley
Well, I'm glad I stuck the series out - because this book was better than the first.

The things I dislike about Opal were still present, but it felt like Maria took a good look at the character halfway through and decided to insert a bit of a backbone into her (maybe that was intended, but it sure made for annoying reading during Storm Glass).

I'm still a bit distracted by the love interests - three is too many and since they are stretched so thin there really isn't a "side" I can get on, since a
Nikki
Sea Glass felt more like the Study series all over again. I'm not really surprised, as Maria V. Snyder seems prone to using tropes, etc. Opal did seem different to Yelena to me, owing to her different background, but now they're starting to become more similar -- she's learning to fight, she's picked up two soldier-protectors, she's gaining more and more power...

The end of this book did help. I have no confidence that the situation is going to last -- I've already started reading Spy Glass as I
Ann
This is a bit of a biased review, as I know the author. :)

I liked Storm Glass a tad bit more than this book. I actually had a hard time getting into this one, but once I was in, I blew through the pages in record time.

Opal goes through a lot of character development in this book, both for good and ill... she does fall prey to her own flaws... but manages to overcome her flaws by her strengths. The parts where Opal descends into her pain of betrayal and loses her trust were the hardest to read.

T
LeiAnn
The conclusion I have come to after finishing this book is that I hate Opal Cowan. I like many of the other characters in this series, but I passionately despise our pity-partying heroine. She is totally selfish, self-loathing, self-involved, and any other negativities that start with "self" that you can think of.

I really didn't see where the author was headed with the plotline, but that's a good thing. I was pleasantly surprised by the ending. My 3-star rating is based on the interactions with
Nara
I can definitely see why I gave this three stars the first time I read it.
Sea Glass unfortunately doesn't have quite the same action and fast pace of other Maria V. Snyder books. Indeed, nothing much seems to happen the entire book.

Still, it was a decent read. A bit more character development, particularly in regards to Devlen (the semi-villain from the first book, if you don't remember).

Also my god the cover is so pretty. Half the reason I wanted to own a copy of this book was the cover, not go
Liriel27
I liked this one, but it didn't catch my interest like the others in this world have. Opal's self-pity just got tiresome after a while - for both the reader and the character, thankfully, and she's apparently heading in a more mature direction for any future books. I just don't like her as much as I liked Yelena, which may have to do with her reactions to Devlen. I mean, I get the intent, but I find that extremely unrealistic, given their history.

So, yeah. Ok, but not great. If you're committed
Alethea A
Aug 23, 2009 Alethea A rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody!
My full review is here: http://readnowsleeplater.wordpress.co...

Very unexpected ending! Opal grows more and more untrusting as the Council and others seem to conspire against her, while she tries to figure out her place in the world. Her instinct is to protect Sitia and try to be a hero (a title she often feels she doesn't deserve), but she suffers disappointment after disappointment. Will Opal overcome these trials and win back her ability to trust, or will she cross over to the dark side?

Oh ye
Kendra Lee
I couldn't put it down! Another Snyder wonder. My one complaint is that there are a lot of (seemingly) random events that don't come to full fruition, and I wish there weren't as many. That being said, as a huge reader of high fantasy I'm used to that happening, so it didn't bother me as much as it could have. Knowing another book is out there helps.

Ok, maybe I have one other small gripe: Opal switches from one extreme to the other, trusting to trusting no one and it seems to happen in just a f
Aynab
*SPOILER ALERT*
I really really tried to like this book, but for me there was too much action involved and not enough romance. It's great how she has such a creative mind, but I think action should be portrayed in movies rather than in books. I'm not saying books shouldn't have any action, but all I'm saying is that TOO much action is overkill.
I particularly love Devlen and that kinda cute moment with Opal at the end of the book was pretty shocking :) MORE DEVLEN PLEASE!!
I hate Kade... the lameo
Shima
A huge improvement, if not anything else.
The amount of my affection surprised me, Not because it was that high but because I had given up hope. The first book seemed like the story of the Yelena-copycat. You know what they say about copies right? NEVER as good as originals people. So why do the writers keep trying?

This book however was when things got interesting. Opal's magic was always more interesting than Yelena's, But because of her not good enough personality it didn't really got a chan
Caitlin
Worst of Glass? Worst of Snyder? 7 47 Jun 29, 2014 03:51AM
Maria V. Snyder L...: This topic has been closed to new comments. CONTEST- Signed copy of Sea Glass 19 17 Dec 17, 2011 08:25AM
  • Cast In Courtlight (Chronicles of Elantra #2)
  • Blue Fire (Healing Wars, #2)
  • Princess at Sea (Princess, #2)
  • The Dawn Star (Lost Continent, #3)
  • The Keeping Place (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #4)
  • The Trouble with Demons (Raine Benares #3)
  • The Mage's Daughter (Nine Kingdoms, #2)
  • Krystalhjertet (Historien om Mira, #3)
  • The Laurentine Spy
  • Voice of the Gods (Age of the Five, #3)
  • Once a Princess  (Sasharia en Garde!, #1)
  • The Poison Throne (Moorehawke Trilogy, #1)
  • The Hero Strikes Back (Hero, #2)
  • How I Found the Perfect Dress (Morgan Rawlinson, #2)
Meteorologist turned novelist, Maria's been writing fantasy and science fiction since she was bored at work and needed something creative to do. A dozen novels and numerous short stories later, Maria's learned a thing or three about writing. She’s been on the New York Times bestseller list, won a half-dozen awards, and has earned her MA degree in Writing from Seton Hill University where she's been ...more
More about Maria V. Snyder...
Poison Study (Study, #1) Magic Study (Study, #2) Fire Study (Study, #3) Touch of Power (Healer, #1) Inside Out (Insider, #1)

“When we reached the beach, Leif fell to his knees with a dramatic cry. "Solid ground! I'll never take you for granted again."
"Are you going to kiss the sand?" I asked.
"Don't be ridiculous."
"Now I'M the one being silly?"
"Yes.”
56 likes
“There are certain people I trust no matter what. Even when it seems like they've turned into monsters, you need to stay true to them. Because, in the end, they'll be the ones backing you up.” 36 likes