Start by marking “AARP the Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga: A Practical Guide to Healing Body, Mind, and Spirit” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
AARP the Seven Spiritu...

Deepak Chopra

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  782 ratings  ·  69 reviews
AARP Digital Editions offer you practical tips, proven solutions, and expert guidance. The remarkable benefits of yoga, which include improved flexibility, balance, muscle tone, endurance, and vitality, only hint at the extraordinary power of this deeply spiritual practice. When adhered to and practiced mindfully, yoga can unlock readers' full creative potential, their cap ...more
ebook
Published April 17th 2012 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about AARP the Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about AARP the Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga

Faye Rahman
I read this book in three hours over Americano at Starbucks. It's a very good book for yogis or non yogis out there that are having troubles with the philosophical aspect of yoga. Deepak explains it in a subtle yet understandable way that it makes it a very interesting read, a page turner. I recommend this to those who wants to learn and understand more about the bigger picture (if not overall) of what yoga is really about. And no, it's not a book full of flexible people folding into pretzel.
Lex
I've done yoga on and off for a few years now. I never really learned the purpose of it nor committed to it. During a tough semester a friend and I started attending yoga classes regularly again. After a couple sessions, I noticed my weeks would go by smoother, I wouldn't strain or stress out as much if at all. Here I am again going through a tough time, so I wanted to recommit to yoga again. This book was easy to understand. I think it's a great gateway to those beginning yoga.
Ann
I enjoy yoga and had read few books on this subject. But this book is very enlightening and help me better understanding the basic principle laws of yoga and take me to a deeper level of practise. There's so much more to yoga than the physical postures that we have come to know. Highly recommended for all. I really enjoyed it, and will read it over again!
Pretty basic stuff - what my yoga teachers have been saying for years! Nice summary of the 8-limbed path and the chakras though. Probably a good review for any practitioner... I wish I had gotten an audio version - I love listening to Deepak's voice - he could make my grocery list sound like pearls of wisdom!
Vimal Kodai
Deepak Chopra sets the tone with this book of his, as he portrays yoga as being one the prime objective towards the welfare of human beings. He writes briefly on its impact upon man’s sane health, the origin of yoga and of its early usage by the sages in India, its essential characteristics, its importance, its symbolic meanings to humanity in general, its promotion of healthy living, and, how it may shape a man’s morale, spirit, body parts, inspiration and insights. The seven chakras of yoga ar ...more
I'm not sure what texts I should be reading to familiarize myself with all the laws &/or core of the yoga sutras, but I thought this book would help. I think it's a "good" intro, because as someone relatively new to the subject, I need a text that can break it down for me. Although, I definitely learned more from my yoga teacher in my semester-long yoga class senior yr of college. The authors tend to repeat "by using the seven spiritual laws of yoga program" which I found unnecessary, infome ...more
Kimz Zahour
I didn't realize Deepak Chopra is a MD, or that this book is about Raja (Royal) Yoga. The practice is a spiritual path that is still based on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. Additionally, daily intentions aligned with the Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga are implemented, one for each day of the week... Imagine the power of all Raja Yogis moving through their day with the same intention.
The writing is so intelligent and compassionate; it's truly the profound made simple. For the first time ever in yea
kate
I haven't had a chance to do the actual yoga class contained in the book yet, but I have already incorporated the meditational exercises outlined. I also really enjoyed the background, spiritual practice and philosophy of yoga contained in the book.

I took notes I refer back to weekly before my yoga practice. I wasn't looking for this book but it has added a depth to my yoga practice that I find both grounding and expansive.
Chenley Cabaluna
Effective siya for everyday practice lalo na kapag jinajantoks na ko sa school work lol. Pang-replenish siya ng mind, body and soul. charot! Eh basta kase mahilig ako with this kind of stuff nowadays. Wapakels kung ang weird ko hahahaah. Acceptance lang please guys. hahahaha.Kung gusto niyo sa'kin magpaturo ng ways para ma-enlightened din kayo, I'm just a pm away. char.
Michelle
Easy read. Good overview.

Chopra covers the yogic philosophy, meditation and breathing and yoga practices in terms of asanas and also provides an extensive list of recommended reading.

I have been studying yoga for a few years, and have read other works as I am currently pursuing my teacher training so I have found other sources to be more informative however this book serves as a good introduction for beginners or those that would be put off by a larger volume.

One section of the book that I pa
Ceciliahill55
Wonderful book. It was clear, easy to read. Definitely a book that you can't "read", but you have to study, so I definitely will be rereading this and referencing it as I go forward in my journey into yoga.
lynne naranek
Highly recommended by a spiritually-inclined blog pal, I finally got over my inertia of exploring anything by Deepak Chopra... and realise that a lot of his success has probably come from just translating / repackaging principles that are part and parcel of Indian/Hindu/Yogic life into something that Americans/Westerners would find palatable.

I did find it a useful read, though: its overview and explanation of the various types of yoga certainly helped fill in some blanks I had.

I'm guessing some
Kathy Blajerski
It talks about Yoga in its entire form not just on the mat. Easy read. Great book
Lizzie Jordon
A beautiful guide to living through yogic practices that are simple truths.
Mariliagomes
great introduction to the theme and very easy to read!
Stefani Milan
I loved this book, so enlightening.
Arfi
I thoroughly enjoy reading this book. It enlightens me in depth about yoga. I might not be a passionate yogi but I can see that yoga has been my life fitness and health balance to maintain a fit and healthy well-being. I recommend this book for yogis or non-yogis. It is full of wealthy information for our body mind and spirit.
Apr 30, 2012 Jennifer marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
If you are interested in Yoga, then this book is for you! This book explains that Yoga is far more then just poses and exercise. Yoga helps to clear the mind, reconnect your inner self to the universe, and help you become aware of what your body is telling you. I found this book to be very insightful and uplifting. If you are interested in find a balance between your life, body and soul; then this is the book for you. I highly recommend this read! Well worth it!
Chandi Neubauer
Aug 10, 2007 Chandi Neubauer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in yoga.
I love Deepak Chopra. This book is great for beginners and people who have been practicing yoga for years. I learned so much about breathing (which has been surprisingly hard for me) and about what the postures do for our health. I also learned a bit about meditation, though I cannot imagine being able to do it. If you like yoga, it's a book that's worth buying because you'll want to refer to it frequently.
Sharon
If you love the practice or if you're just curious about it and want to gain a greater understanding of it, this is the book for you. These days I seem to be carrying it wherever I go. This is my second time around with this book. It's probably a book I'll never shelf. I love re-reading the passages in the book. It's a thought-provoking excursion through the practice of yoga.
Terri
LOVED IT!! This first time I read this, whew, over my head, don't remember it. Then something happended, I was sick and picked this up and re-read it. WHAM! Didn't the sixth law of yoga, The Law of Detatchment start to make changes in my life where my problem with relationships are!
beck
Mar 15, 2007 beck rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in yoga
Going beyond the physical and into the spiritual, Chopra and Simon provide the most thorough, accessible explanation of yoga as a whole system of belief and path to follow in life. The authors also provide instruction for various breathing methods and postures. Truly transcendental.
Erin
Similar to his other book "The 7 spiritual laws of success", but he fleshed it out a little more. I knew a bunch of it already having practiced yoga for 8 years, but it was interesting to get his perspective on it. Besides, you need to read the laws multiple times before they sink in!
Jennie Jakobi
I love yoga and don't read a lot of yoga books because they basically say the same thing. This one is a good staple to have because it outlines sun salutations with pictures, basic yoga poses, and breathing. A good one for a refresher or to lend to friends new at yoga.
Kuen
Thought the spiritual and meditative portions of the book were well written; though offering nothing new, however the asana highlighted in the book lacks depth and the finer detail of each poses as some of these poses are not meant for beginners.
ChaosInGa
GREAT book for yoga beginners & yogis. Learning more about the mind, spirit, body connection when doing yoga gave me insight I needed to be fully engaged in the activity. Would recommend it to everyone who wants to take yoga to the next level.
Alexandrea Ward
Very interesting read. I learned some new stuff about chakras, certain yoga poses, and even about myself. I love learning something new and this was from a different perspective. I can't wait to learn some more about yoga as I further my study.
Ramakrishnan
Excellent treatise on Yoga in its holistic perspective from the original author Patangali (Yoga Sutras or Observations on Yoga).

Should read "The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success" by Deepak Chopra first to fully appreciate this book.

Akanksha Sharma
the book talks about some yoga poses that are specific to calm ur mind...
to maintain balanced mind...
imagine there are some simple postures that make u look to the other's perspectives and accept them !
and those are damn simple !
Rachel
Great for a clear, lucid explanation of yoga, the philosophy behind it, poses, and breathing. Would have given it 5 stars but was a bit too preachy for my liking. Maybe I just didn't like that the author told me to avoid alcohol.
Relation b/w Spirituality and Yoga 2 3 May 26, 2014 07:44AM
  • Light on Yoga
  • Yoga Body, Buddha Mind
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • Yoga and Ayurveda: Self-Healing and Self-Realization
Deepak Chopra, MD serves as the Founder and Chairman of The Chopra Foundation, and Co-Founder of the Chopra Center for Wellbeing.

As a global leader and pioneer in the field of mind-body medicine, Chopra transforms the way the world views physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social wellness. Known as a prolific author of eighty books books with twenty-two New York Times best sellers in both
More about Deepak Chopra...
The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: The Quantum Alternative to Growing Old Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment The Book of Secrets: Unlocking the Hidden Dimensions of Your Life Quantum Healing: Exploring the Frontiers of Mind Body Medicine

“listen to your heart for guidance and be guided by its message of comfort or discomfort. Your heart is the junction point between your mind and your body. If the choice feels comfortable in your body, move into it with confidence. If the choice feels uncomfortable, pause and see the consequences of your action with your inner vision. Honoring the guidance that is provided by your body’s intelligence will help you make the most evolutionary choices for yourself and those in your life.” 2 likes
“When you feel physically vital, emotionally stable, and psychologically centered, your ability and desire to love and express authentic compassion expand.” 0 likes