Start by marking “Blogging for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Blogging for Dummies

Susannah Gardner

Blogging for Dummies

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  51 reviews
This proven bestseller is fully updated and better than ever!Now in its fourth edition, "Blogging For Dummies" is fully updated and more practical than ever for today's bloggers. Whether you're just beginning or are already a full-tilt blogging maven, you'll find the up-to-date information you need in these friendly pages. Want to integrate your blog with social media? Jum ...more
Published January 12th 2012 by For Dummies (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Blogging for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blogging for Dummies

Rebecca Scaglione
When I started blogging on July 9, my husband thought it would be a nice idea to get me a few blogging books. I read about half of Blogging for Dummies by Susannah Gardner and Shane Birley, put it down, and then picked it back up again a week ago to finish the book.

I literally read this book from cover to cover. I had never read a Dummies book before, but I have been missing out!

Blogging for Dummies was filled with great facts for any person out there who is starting or working on a blog. Even b
Rose
Quick review for a quick read. Yeah, I picked this up on a random trip to the library and ended up reading it in a sitting earlier today. It's a very general introduction to getting your bearings with blogging - from finding hosts to figuring out what content you want to blog about, to general netiquette and finding a following. I didn't really learn anything new from it, but it was a good refresher. I liked the organization of the text and how easy it was to get pointers for each of the topics ...more
Jake
I've always dismissed For Dummies as a literary franchise gimmick, a collection of self-help books with minimal substantive content and hasty research wrapped in a catchy made-to-order brand name. My apologies for so assuming, at least in the case of Blogging for Dummies.

This is the first For Dummies book I committed to reading in-depth. As an amateur blogger with dreams of going pro, I figured this would be a harmless attempt to up my game. It is that. But I also found Blogging for Dummies to b
Richard Thompson
Alright, I admit that I didn’t actually “read” this book from cover to cover — I skimmed some parts. I am interested in possibly starting a blog, but I’m not thinking in terms of a commercial venture at this point so I pretty much skipped the section. I can been seeing references to Twitter (on the movie review show for example) and had no idea what it involved, and that section did fill in some of the blanks. I skimmed the parts about how to actually do it. The book did give me lots of ideas of ...more
David Sarkies
Jun 23, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bloggers
Recommended to David by: Nobody really
Shelves: how-to
Sometimes I am a little hesitant reading a book with the words 'for Dummies' or 'complete idiots guide to' in the title because it makes me feel like, well, a complete idiot. It is probably because I like to think of myself as intelligent and take offence at being called otherwise. However, sometimes the most intelligent thing to do is to admit that you don't know anything and then go and learn about it. So, after a couple of people suggested that I start up a blog I decided to grab what appear ...more
Patrick Riddle
May 12, 2008 Patrick Riddle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Novice Bloggers
This is the first "For Dummies" book that I have read and would say that it lives up to its title. I have been blogging for almost six months and already knew most of what the book talked about.

I would recommend the book to anyone new to blogging. It will give you the ABC's to get you started and a good base of references to get you on the right track.

Krissy Mayse
Oct 04, 2009 Krissy Mayse rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wanted to start a blog
Shelves: business, for-fun
This book was simple enough that I could use to train people how to blog and helped me with a few trainings by conference call. I will use again in the future to help me create "user friendly" instructions for the folks that I train to use blogs for marketing.
Karen
This book is very helpful for anyone who wants to start blogging or who desires to learn more and improve their blog or get more traffic to their site. I recommend it.
Haley Keller
This book is a great book to give you all of the basic information you need on blogging. I've had a blog for more than five years now (wow...), but I was hoping to still get something out of reading this. You can always improve after all. And I did get some really good information, but it wasn't really as much as I would have hoped. That's only because I already knew the vast majority of it Still, this book is great. I'd highly recommend it for those just starting to blog, and it does a great jo ...more
Marvelle Morgan
Helpful book but probably easier and faster just to jump in and create a blog. It is pretty self-explanatory.
Sarah (LF Book Reviews)
I borrowed this book from the library when I decided after many months deliberation to make my own blog. I really enjoyed reading this book and it really helped me to get to know more about blogging and the software that is available out there.

Recommended to anyone who is interested in blogging and wants to know more about it.
The Bookwyrm's Hoard

Blogging for Dummies is a very good choice for the novice blogger, particularly if you're not very tech-savvy. It is written clearly and straightforwardly, although you may also want a book targeted at whichever blogging host/program (Blogger or WordPress, probably) you decide to use.

If you're already blogging, the book is also useful for specific information -- how to do a podcast, things to know about copyright and image use, and so forth. I skipped sections on topics that weren't relevant to
Tracy Enright
I bought this book to help me get started in my blogging career. It shares the same simple and easily understood format as the other Dummies books which is always of benefit when it comes to technical matters and is greatly appreciated by someone like me who does not always have the best relationship with technology. It guides you through the different stages of setting up a blog with useful advice on how to avoid the pitfalls before you encounter them. I have to admit I am a fan of the Dummies ...more
Jamaze Bracey
it was a good read. good for those who is new to blogs. i mean have no clue to blogs. really its good to know the basics but i feel like im on a higher level than the book.
Gina
Easy, fast read; as all the Dummies books are
Justina Spencer
Super helpful for first time bloggers. Book is broken down topic by topic with links to great examples.
Tessa
If you're trying to blog, or even thinking about doing it, read this. Seriously. Read it. And take notes.
Mark
Totally new to the blogging thing - really liked this book as it gave a good foundation for those in the fisrt steps of setting up their blog.

The author offers great tips on a variety of topics such as: free as well as fee based sites to start and host your blog, other sites to look at to get ideas, ways to earn $ from links and banner ads, etc.

I've not read other books in this series in the past but was pleased with the overview the author gave..
Angela
I read the book and felt ready to blog. Wow was that not the case! There are so many things not covered in this book. I think the author aimed at wide instead of deep coverage of the aspects of blogging. Even though Blogger and Wordpress even have their own chapters, I tried both and was lost with the lack of info in the book. On the whole I am pretty computer/cyberspace savvy so I'll be trying another book and see if that proves more instructive.
Ashley
Even if you've been blogging for awhile you can still find some good information in here though it is geared more towards newbies. It also offers you more information than you really need; how to set up an account on multiple sites, social networking, etc. Mostly a recap of everything a seasoned blogger knows unless you're new to podcasting, vlogging, etc in which case you'd be better off getting a book geared at that topic.
Naomi
I think this book would work for people who have absolutely no experience in blogging or marketing. I found that 2/3rds of this book was basically marketing 101 and had already been doing it. This was with just started my blog. She had interesting information re: photography, but not enough to make me want to purchase the book. Luckily, I grabbed this from the library to review before I made the investment.
Lindz-o
Like most of the "Dummies" books, this one is easy to read and understand and laid out the information in a way appropriate for complete novices like me. I have the 3rd edition published in 2010 and couldn't help but wonder how much of the information in it is already out-dated and obsolete. Still, I learned some new things and now feel like I have a basic groundwork of information.
Rachel
This is a great introduction to the world of blogging for first timers, and a useful resource for more advanced bloggers- it helps you to understand the sometimes difficult and confusing terminology used on the web, gives you ideas of what to blog about, and how to go about it, and also goes into detail about more complex subjects like HTML.
Jo Ann
I didn't read the book from cover to cover I dug through it reading the chapters that pertained to my needs. It did help me fix an issue I was having with my blog url. Its easy to read and helped to point me to other websites for more information I was looking for. I would recommend keeping it as a handy reference book.
MissAnnThrope
Blogging for Dummies is a fantastic resource for the complete blogging newbie and experienced bloggers alike. It explains every single detail in layman's terms so that it's easily accessible to those not technically savvy. This makes the process feel less daunting. Excellent reference guide!
Satia
If you want to make your blogger blog look pretty or find ways to make your blog super duper popular then this is the book for you. If not, then you'll probably find it a bit of a disappointment. For more explanation:

Aspasia
The author introduces the reader to the world of blogging and all the appropriate lingo. She also explains how to set up a basic blog using Blogger or Wordpress. I highly recommend this to anyone who is thinking of starting a blog and wants to research the pros and cons of doing so.
Tbird0123
good book for not just dipping your toes in but I think I may be up to my knees in basic knowledge to actually give it a go. Lots of references and examples and even options on how to pick well wisely in the beginning for where you blog wants to go.
Lisa Gregor
A helpful book for any new blogger, but nothing you couldn’t already find on the web(but then again, what can‘t you find on the web). Simple to understand though, and probably good to keep around for those first weeks of blogging.

Pontianak SEO 1 1 May 08, 2015 02:52AM
  • Frugal Living for Dummies
  • Reiki For Dummies
  • Crocheting For Dummies
  • Fundraising For Dummies
Buzz Marketing with Blogs for Dummies Blogging For Dummies® BitTorrent for Dummies Teach Yourself Visually Dreamweaver Mx 2004 Blogging for Dummies(R) (For Dummies (Computers))