Start by marking “The Avengers and Philosophy: Earth's Mightiest Thinkers” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Avengers and Philo...

Mark D. White

The Avengers and Philosophy: Earth's Mightiest Thinkers (Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture #31)

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  113 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
An engaging look at the philosophical underpinnings of Earth's Mightiest HeroesAvengers assemble! Tackling intriguing dilemmas and issues that no single great philosopher can withstand, this powerful book enlists the brainpower of an A-list team of history's most prominent thinkers to explore the themes behind the action of Marvel Comics' all-star superhero team.Arms you w ...more
Published February 13th 2012 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Avengers and Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Avengers and Philosophy

Ricardo Lane
May 30, 2012 Ricardo Lane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoyed the college classes where the professor was easy going and cool enough to entertain side discussions about how his field could be applied to more mundane interests. Not only did those discussions break up the monotony of daily lectures, they often helped build a more solid understanding of the subject because you could see how the theories really worked. This book reminds me a lot of those types of off-topic, yet fascinating, talks.

The book is a collection of essays applying ph
Joseph Santiago
Mar 18, 2014 Joseph Santiago rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was great! Not only did it compare many areas of philosophy to events that characters did it illustrated the consequences of those events through the stories. This made a somewhat dry topic to be so much more approachable and fun. I read this for fun and enjoyed the selection chosen for philosophers as well as the matching done to create an extension of the Marvel universe through learning about these concepts. I love comics and this made the book a easy choice for me but I highly reco ...more
Mike Vardy
Jul 23, 2016 Mike Vardy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
I didn't "not" enjoy this book, but it felt like a lot of empty calories.

Sure, I learned some new things and found some connections between superhero mythos and philosophy but it wasn't something that I thought was groundbreaking in any way. I think I was just looking for more out of this book that I got.

If you enjoy superheroes and you are a student of philosophy then I still encourage you to give this a read. It wasn't bad but it didn't resonate with me as much as I thought it would.
Barry Simiana
Sorry, this one was a DNF. Look if spending a lot of time reading reasons why Marvel superheroes are the philosophers of our age, then this is the book for you. I read mostly for entertainment and relaxation, so a little deep and taxing for me. It's well thought out and written as essays and articles, but not my bag. Maybe when I have more time I'll come back to it.
Ellie  Dynek
I've just started my junior year of college, and with all the super-hero movies coming out, I found that this was a really interesting book to check out. The various themes about Captain America, Hawkeye and Ant Man definitely provided some enlightenment about some of the biggest names in the Marvel universe. I would definitely recommend this book to any and all superhero fans :)
Sherrie Pilkington
This book was foisted upon me by Mr. Larry Phares...and he was totally right. It's a fascinating read. Each chapter deals with a different aspect of philosophy (and the Avengers) and some are better than others, but over all it was a fun read. Excuse me while I go read 50 comic books now.
Alejo
Jan 09, 2015 Alejo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, pop-culture
Take the action out of an action oriented work and what do you get? Chapters 10 to 12 are worth a reading though, and the She Hulk chapter has to be read parallel to the Deadpool one in the X-men book
Starfire
A fun "good to while away a plane journey" read that got me thinking (which is ideal for a philosophy book)
Tim
Jun 26, 2014 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read. I wasn't careful enough though and ended up learning a lot.
Carina
Jun 25, 2012 Carina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really interesting read. I love that it taught me quite a bit about the Avengers universe, all the while educating me about the philosophy behind the characters. Awesome.
Sherif Fahmy
Nov 08, 2013 Sherif Fahmy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I read it after reading "superheros and philosophy" and it was very enjoyable. As a fan of both Marvel Comics and philosophy, this book scored a home run with me.
Beholderess
Jun 04, 2016 Beholderess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiiction
I am not going to pretend that this is a "serious" philosophy, but nevertheless it is an extremely entertaining read for someone both geeky and nerdy
Ellen
Dec 23, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent way to explore philosophy
Amy Gorski
Amy Gorski marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Ryan Scicluna
Ryan Scicluna rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Edward Averette
Edward Averette marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Shannon McCarthy
Shannon McCarthy marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Nayomi
Nayomi marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Gwen
Gwen marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Samanta
Samanta marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Sarospice
Sarospice is currently reading it
Cade Bengert
Cade Bengert marked it as to-read
Jeff Page
Jeff Page marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Isaiah Keyes
Isaiah Keyes marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Katsandrya
Katsandrya marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
  • X-Men and Philosophy: Astonishing Insight and Uncanny Argument in the Mutant X-Verse
  • Dexter and Philosophy: Mind over Spatter
  • Lost and Philosophy: The Island Has Its Reasons
  • Superheroes and Philosophy: Truth, Justice, and the Socratic Way
  • Sherlock Holmes and Philosophy: The Footprints of a Gigantic Mind
  • The Beatles and Philosophy: Nothing You Can Think that Can't Be Thunk
  • The Hunger Games and Philosophy: A Critique of Pure Treason
  • Supervillains and Philosophy: Sometimes, Evil is its Own Reward
  • Stephen Colbert and Philosophy: I Am Philosophy (And So Can You!)
  • Star Wars and Philosophy: More Powerful than You Can Possibly Imagine
  • The Chronicles of Narnia and Philosophy: The Lion, the Witch, and the Worldview
  • Woody Allen and Philosophy: [You Mean My Whole Fallacy Is Wrong?]
  • The Daily Show and Philosophy: Moments of Zen in the Art of Fake News
  • Mad Men and Philosophy: Nothing is as it Seems
  • Game of Thrones and Philosophy: Logic Cuts Deeper Than Swords
  • The Purloined Poe: Lacan, Derrida, and Psychoanalytic Reading
  • The Hobbit and Philosophy: For When You've Lost Your Dwarves, Your Wizard, and Your Way
  • The Philosophy of the X-Files

Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • South Park and Philosophy: You Know, I Learned Something Today