Start by marking “Sacred Pauses: Spiritual Practices For Personal Renewal” as Want to Read:
Sacred Pauses: Spiritual Practices For Personal Renewal

Sacred Pauses: Spiritual Practices For Personal Renewal

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  56 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
In a fast-paced world full of distractions, spiritual practice can help us become more centered-more in touch with ourselves and others, more in touch with the world around us, more in touch with God. Sacred Pauses is an introduction to this more centered way of life.

The author, a pastor in British Columbia, begins with her own longing for personal renewal. What would it t
Published February 1st 2013 by Herald Press

To ask other readers questions about Sacred Pauses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacred Pauses

Gloria
Apr 01, 2013 Gloria rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-spirit
A female Canadian-of-Chinese-descent Mennonite pastor shares spiritual practices that are in many ways a Christian version of the subject of mindfulness. Each chapter is an essay and thus this should be read in small portions in order to absorb all its goodness. The tone is friendly and kind, and the messages should appeal to people of almost any belief system. It has a contemporary feel and the suggestions are all appealing. This isn't necessarily breaking new ground, but she has collected here ...more
Rosalie
Jun 28, 2015 Rosalie rated it really liked it
What a great book! It is sectioned off into such readable chapters, where you can easily skip some if desired (I didn't). April weaves her own experiences with suggestions, reflections and challenges. The entire book is easily digested and enjoyable to read, yet challenging if you so choose. Reading it feels like talking to April in person. I particularly enjoyed the last few chapters. I would probably give this book a 4.5
Leigh  Kramer
Feb 26, 2016 Leigh Kramer rated it liked it
I appreciated Yamasaki's look at spiritual practices and her tips on how to incorporate them into our day to day. The first chapter was the most thought-provoking to me, as I don't recall seeing that practice mentioned in other resources.
J. Bill
Mar 06, 2013 J. Bill rated it really liked it
It's a superb survey of practices that we can use to help us in Sabbath-taking throughout our busy lives -- not just on Sundays!
Mattmarie Mast
Feb 24, 2014 Mattmarie Mast rated it really liked it
I used this book in a woman's formation group...I highly recommend it. It keeps giving even after one reads it.
Michelle Bodle
May 09, 2014 Michelle Bodle rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Perhaps one of the most approachable books on spiritual disciples that I have read
Danny
Aug 25, 2014 Danny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
First of all I have to admit my bias. I know April personally. I also have to admit that this book exceeded my expectations. This is not because I know April, but because I have read many books on spiritual discipline and thought, foolishly, that my understanding of the topic was exhaustive. This book helped me to take the years of gathering information and add these practices to my life in a more natural way then any other attempt.

I have started using this book in my mentoring appointments an
Andrew Hudgins
Andrew Hudgins rated it it was ok
May 15, 2016
Rachel Aytes
Rachel Aytes marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Melanee
Melanee marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Brooke Reich
Brooke Reich marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Megan Velte
Megan Velte marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Katey
Katey marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Becki
Becki marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Lori Harold
Lori Harold marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Jaclyn
Jaclyn marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Michelle Hart
Michelle Hart marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
MacKenzie
MacKenzie marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Linda Tuplin
Linda Tuplin marked it as to-read
Marita
Marita marked it as to-read
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
  • 25 Books Every Christian Should Read: A Guide to the Essential Spiritual Classics
  • Eager to Love: The Alternative Way of Francis of Assisi
  • Fifty Shades of Grace: Stories of Inspiration and Promise
  • Making Sense of the Bible: Rediscovering the Power of Scripture Today
  • Always We Begin Again
  • Change The World: Recovering The Message And Mission Of Jesus
April Yamasaki is a writer and pastor who loves encouraging people on the journey of faith.

Her website, Writing and Other Acts of Faith, features weekly articles on everyday acts of faith, like choosing faith instead of worry, finding a healthy rhythm of work and rest, how to pray on difficult days, and other articles on practical spirituality.

As April shares some of her experiences, what she's re
More about April Yamasaki...