Start by marking “Sacred Pauses: Spiritual Practices For Personal Renewal” as Want to Read:
Sacred Pauses: Spiritual Practices For Personal Renewal

Sacred Pauses: Spiritual Practices For Personal Renewal

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In a fast-paced world full of distractions, spiritual practice can help us become more centered-more in touch with ourselves and others, more in touch with the world around us, more in touch with God. Sacred Pauses is an introduction to this more centered way of life.

The author, a pastor in British Columbia, begins with her own longing for personal renewal. What would it t
Published February 1st 2013 by Herald Press

To ask other readers questions about Sacred Pauses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacred Pauses

What a great book! It is sectioned off into such readable chapters, where you can easily skip some if desired (I didn't). April weaves her own experiences with suggestions, reflections and challenges. The entire book is easily digested and enjoyable to read, yet challenging if you so choose. Reading it feels like talking to April in person. I particularly enjoyed the last few chapters. I would probably give this book a 4.5
A female Canadian-of-Chinese-descent Mennonite pastor shares spiritual practices that are in many ways a Christian version of the subject of mindfulness. Each chapter is an essay and thus this should be read in small portions in order to absorb all its goodness. The tone is friendly and kind, and the messages should appeal to people of almost any belief system. It has a contemporary feel and the suggestions are all appealing. This isn't necessarily breaking new ground, but she has collected here ...more
J. Bill
It's a superb survey of practices that we can use to help us in Sabbath-taking throughout our busy lives -- not just on Sundays!
Mattmarie Mast
I used this book in a woman's formation group...I highly recommend it. It keeps giving even after one reads it.
Michelle Bodle
Perhaps one of the most approachable books on spiritual disciples that I have read
First of all I have to admit my bias. I know April personally. I also have to admit that this book exceeded my expectations. This is not because I know April, but because I have read many books on spiritual discipline and thought, foolishly, that my understanding of the topic was exhaustive. This book helped me to take the years of gathering information and add these practices to my life in a more natural way then any other attempt.

I have started using this book in my mentoring appointments an
Sarah Fuerstenau
Sarah Fuerstenau is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2015
Deborah marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Denise Gonzales
Denise Gonzales marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Donna marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Elise Edwards
Elise Edwards marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Amy Bowman
Amy Bowman marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
❄Elsa Frost❄
❄Elsa Frost❄ marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Nancy Gordon
Nancy Gordon marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Kate marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Brenda marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Pamela Elise Davis
Pamela Elise Davis marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Ashley marked it as to-read
Katie W
Katie W marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
  • 25 Books Every Christian Should Read: A Guide to the Essential Spiritual Classics
  • Eager to Love: The Alternative Way of Francis of Assisi
  • The Alphabet of Grace
  • A Jonathan Edwards Reader
  • Prayers of the Cosmos: Reflections on the Original Meaning of Jesus's Words
  • Final Words: From the Cross
April Yamasaki is a writer and pastor who loves encouraging people on the journey of faith.

Her website, Writing and Other Acts of Faith, features weekly articles on everyday acts of faith, like choosing faith instead of worry, finding a healthy rhythm of work and rest, how to pray on difficult days, and other articles on practical spirituality.

As April shares some of her experiences, what she's re
More about April Yamasaki...