Start by marking “Facebook for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Facebook for Dummies

Carolyn Abram

Facebook for Dummies (For Dummies)

Ready to get active on Facebook but no clue where to start? This bestselling guide gets you started!Facebook has undergone a number of changes over the years and it is difficult to keep up with everything that it has to offer. This edition of the popular "For Dummies" guide to Facebook covers the latest updates and guides new users into the Facebook experience quickly and ...more
Published January 19th 2012 by For Dummies (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Facebook for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Facebook for Dummies

Charles
May 09, 2011 Charles rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Who'd have thought that even dummies would need a 330-page book to tell them how to use Facebook? But this casual Facebook dummy learnt a lot, to add to the superficial know-how he'd acquired without really thinking about it.

So now I can tell you the difference between Pages and Profiles, Lists and Groups, and how to advertise a page (not that I expect I'll ever want to do that). I know a bit about searching on Facebook, tagging photos, and how to adjust privacy setting for apps you use.

I also
Linda
Jan 16, 2016 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You'd have to be a "dummy" to gain anything from reading this book.
Dane Cobain
When you read a 'For Dummies' book, you get what you expect - a complex subject covered comprehensively in such simple language that a novice could easily understand it. And that's the problem...

See, Facebook as a platform is so intuitive and easy to use that all but the dumbest dummy can figure out how to navigate the site without any help. Of course, I work in social media, so I'm biased - however, the point still stands. Facebook for Dummies only really covers the basics, from adding a profil
Jennifer (JC-S)
Oct 10, 2008 Jennifer (JC-S) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librarybooks
Navigating a virtual world
One of my on-line acquaintances invited me to join Facebook late last year. Initially I hesitated, but then I figured it was worth checking out. I’m so pleased I did: a number of my friends from other online communities have a presence on Facebook and for a few of us it is the easiest way to communicate, share updates and photographs.

But wait, folks, that’s not all! By now, I can navigate my way around Facebook , have tried many of the applications and possibly tested
Gerry Germond
Aug 31, 2013 Gerry Germond rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Poor. When I follow the text, what it says I'll see--ain't. What I can do is guess and ask questions of Facebook's Help section, but I certainly can't recommend it for novices. Locate this book in a bookstore, and try it there with your tablet. When the book's failures become readily apparent, quietly put it back on the shelf and rejoice over the money you've saved. To the comment that you can't expect it to be perfect, I say then you shouldn't be writing or publishing it.
Natascha
Desiree'
Oct 31, 2014 Desiree' rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web-design
Definitely a good read to learn the basics of Facebook account set up and applications. I learned how to set up my account, create a web page and find friends to communicate with online. Good basic tool to establish your social media presence.
Rhonda
Dec 01, 2009 Rhonda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book did not help me in any way. I am more proficient at using Facebook than what the book describes. For anyone who has never used Facebook then I would suggest looking through it, but if you havew created a profile, then you probably don't need this book.
Robin DeJarnett
Feb 08, 2009 Robin DeJarnett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-read
I hate to give a bad review about anything, but this book is not worth the cash. Luckily I was given a gift card, but if you're interested, check it out of the library.

The problem with so many computer books is that by the time they come out the program's been updated. This book came out last year, and facebook looks quite different, just a few months later. As a Fb rookie but computer nerd, I could translate from the old to the new, but a computer rookie would be totally lost.

So, don't buy it.
Sheila
Jul 30, 2011 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful, wish it covered more for businesses.
JAMES JOHN GULA
Simple and precise...

Very easy to read and understand. Short,, but gets to the point in most chapters. Highly recommend for the beginner like me.
Jakenv
Sep 26, 2013 Jakenv rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: software
Dummies books are always helpful but often out of date before published. Does not reflect current changes will be helpful in general understanding.
Tony
Oct 10, 2013 Tony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: learn-program
Was helpful in some aspects but recent changes to Facebook made a bit out of date for some functions. Beginners will appreciate.
Elizabeth
Very helpful, but even though it's got a 2008 copyright date, parts of it were being outdated even as I read it (goodbye, Limited Profile; goodbye, network pages; goodbye, basic layout...).
Trish
As others have said, I'm finding it helpful in some ways, but it is outdated already. New edition please!
Steven Seelig
Read this for fun. I love Dummies books.
Diane
May 16, 2010 Diane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
By the time I got around to reading this one, Facebook had changed so much that I needed to buy a new book. So I didn't finish it.
Agent Smith
Not really that helpful since most of the screen images have changed and are not applicable.
Yoga
Dec 29, 2013 Yoga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
best book i ever reads!
Karen Henrich
There are some tips but expected more and had to buy another book.
Lee Yahnker
Good beginners guide although some screen shots seemed out of date.
Jack
Jun 29, 2009 Jack rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't really tell me anything I couldn't have figured out in pretty short order anyway.
Marvelle Morgan
I learned a few new, cool things.
G
Sep 28, 2011 G rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check out my full book review here:

Don
Feb 01, 2011 Don rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Better for reference than straight reading
H
For the truly Facebook challanged! Some of us just don't get all the stuff going on here. I'm still confused, but getting there.
R2
This is a no brainer, read the entire book in less than a day
Megan
Good overview.
Max
Jul 15, 2012 Max rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny
Brent Barnard
This was a great book. But since I read it, I've already read another Facebook book, which is, itself outdated! Stop changing, FB!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Adobe Photoshop CS4 Book for Digital Photographers
  • iPod & iTunes For Dummies
  • Podcasting For Dummies
  • The Internet For Dummies
  • Tapped Out: Rear Naked Chokes, the Octagon, and the Last Emperor: An Odyssey in Mixed Martia l Arts
  • Roget's II: The New Thesaurus
  • Erratum
  • Killer Girlfriend
  • Tula Pink's City Sampler: 100 Modern Quilt Blocks
  • Managing for Dummies
  • Growing Up Digital: The Rise of the Net Generation
  • Digital Photography For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))
  • A Beautiful Math: John Nash, Game Theory, and the Modern Quest for a Code of Nature
  • Craft-a-Doodle: 75 Creative Exercises from 18 Artists
  • The Essential Good Food Guide: The Complete Resource for Buying and Using Whole Grains and Specialty Flours, Heirloom Fruit and Vegetables, Meat and Poultry, Seafood, and More

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Accounting for Dummies