Start by marking “The End of Business as Usual: Rewire the Way You Work to Succeed in the Consumer Revolution” as Want to Read:

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  200 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
It's a new era of business and consumerism--and you play a role in defining itToday's biggest trends--the mobile web, social media, real-time--have produced a new consumer landscape. "The End of Business As Usual" explores this complex information revolution, how it has changed the future of business, media, and culture, and what you can do about it.

"To be successful in bu
Published October 12th 2011 by Wiley (first published September 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The End of Business as Usual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of Business as Usual

Christy
Jun 07, 2015 Christy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-library
I absolutely agree that technology and social networking are changing the way businesses operate, often in a very good way. I've really enjoyed similar books by other authors, but for some reason have a hard time following Brian's train of thought or getting engrossed in this book.

I love that he has found ways to embrace the "audience of audiences." Rather than complaining that people aren't paying attention during conferences, etc, Brian finds ways to use our human desires to share information
Carolyn
Apr 30, 2012 Carolyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
This book had some good points, however the layout and typesetting is visually distracting, making it needlessly harder to get through the text. I picked out specific chapters and sections from the TOC that interested me and skipped wading through the rest.
Lori Randall Stradtman
I'm a huge fan of Brian Solis, though I think the second half of the book could have been simplified a little more in their presentation. Great information from a guy who knows what he's talking about!
Graham Mumm
Aug 08, 2013 Graham Mumm rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Could have been summarized into a short blog post. Filled to the brim with useless marketing jargon and overly used buzz words with hardly an original insight or perspective. Very disappointed.
Owen Cartwright

Some useful insights but otherwise very dull.
Vittorio Veltroni
An helpful, systematic account of a lot of bits and pieces out there about how to harness customer activism and conversational attitudes to help your business.
Particularly helpful is the section on the decision process.
Francisco Prado
Jun 28, 2015 Francisco Prado rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fight against Digital Darwinism....keep your business relevant. A must read for every entrepreneur and business owner or CEO.
Ed
Aug 18, 2012 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book, it reminded me of Paco Underhill's "Why We Buy" without the heavy statistical side. This takes more of a case study approach, with good graphics of technical concepts such as "tag clouds". It also crosses over from a "how-to" marketing book using new technology, into strategic thinking and managing change concepts. His "Digital Darwinism" section combines a humanistic approach with the digital. To paraphrase, caring for the patron, not just servicing them, will be paramount to survi ...more
Alexander Novicov
Jan 13, 2014 Alexander Novicov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brian is an excellent person. I love his mentality and approach to digital marketing. The book is fantastic, I believe that his books are a bit hard to read.
Al-x4o
Jul 02, 2015 Al-x4o rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, just amazing. Especially the last chapter before the epilogue - a must read for every manager in 2015!
Michelle Manire
Sep 20, 2012 Michelle Manire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
So far so good. It's mostly things I already intuitively knew. For instance, last couple of years it's been all about engagement and authenticity. He's going deeper by talking about things like social currency and context.

I think it's a good read for many people to better usual social media to their benefit.
Amanda Webb
Feb 29, 2012 Amanda Webb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating but sometimes scary book about how businesses will have to adapt to the new connected consumer. It was geeky enough to keep me excited almost all the way though. I wrote a longer, and perhaps better review on my blog: http://bit.ly/yAr2Pb
Mike Worley
Jul 06, 2012 Mike Worley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a social media book every month but Brian is by far one of the best thought leaders in the social business space. This book is loaded with case studies and helpful data that Brian breaks down into tangible meaning.
Henk Duim
Dec 05, 2014 Henk Duim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to wade through the hype and snakeoil surrounding social media marketing, this is a must-read! It is well written and explains the effects the internet has on how people communicate with each other.
Debbie Morrison
An excellent book. Applicable to higher education institutions just as it applies to business organizations. In a blog post I reviewed key concepts of the book as they apply to higher ed. http://wp.me/p1N30w-Xl

Casey Wheeler
Jun 23, 2013 Casey Wheeler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This quote best sums up this book;

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change. —Charles Darwin
Emily
Jul 07, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must-read for all marketers. Read my full review on Ms. Adverthinker.
Joska
May 11, 2014 Joska rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interessant, maar erg veel herhaling.
Donna
Mar 27, 2012 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Some of it was a little too high-level for me. But I did enjoy Solis' categorization of companies based on their social media strategies. Chapters 18 and 20 were my favorite.
Liz
It was ok...but it is too much like his other book, so don't bother reading both. It is also very focused on B2C...not very helpful for B2B :(
Luaba
Aug 22, 2012 Luaba rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: entrepreneur
Good graphics, good case studies, good business acumen and good narrative. A good pick for entrepreneur on how to make social site work for you.
Graham
Feb 15, 2015 Graham rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very complete resource for how business is being conducted in this new and ever-changing world of social consumerism.
Neve
Mar 10, 2012 Neve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great concepts and information badly put together. I struggled to extract what I needed here.
Mary Pat Lichtman
May 20, 2012 Mary Pat Lichtman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is available in electronic format and I read it on my iPad.
Debbie Cerda
May 20, 2013 Debbie Cerda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Extremely insightful and well-written, engaged from start to finish!
Chris Giovagnoni
Insightful analysis. Predictive. Wordy.
Michael Thomas
Mar 14, 2013 Michael Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very..very good and insightful.
Ray Bryant
Not bad
Ben Saren
Ben Saren rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2016
Margo
Margo marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
  • Google+ for Business: How Google's Social Network Changes Everything
  • Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth Movements
  • Socialized!: How the Most Successful Businesses Harness the Power of Social
  • How to Drive Your Competition Crazy: Creating Disruption for Fun and Profit
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • Personality Not Included: Why Companies Lose Their Authenticity and How Great Brands Get It Back
  • Flash Foresight: How to See the Invisible and Do the Impossible: Seven Radical Principles That Will Transform Your Business
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • Real-Time Marketing & PR: How to Instantly Engage Your Market, Connect with Customers, and Create Products That Grow Your Business Now
  • Social Media ROI: Managing and Measuring Social Media Efforts in Your Organization
  • Judgment: How Winning Leaders Make Great Calls
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day
  • Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business
  • Unconscious Branding: How Neuroscience Can Empower (and Inspire) Marketing
  • Return On Influence: The Revolutionary Power of Klout, Social Scoring, and Influence Marketing
  • True Professionalism: The Courage to Care About Your People, Your Clients, and Your Career
  • It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business is Driven by Purpose
Brian Solis is principal at Altimeter Group, a research firm focused on disruptive technology. A digital analyst, sociologist, and futurist, Solis has studied and influenced the effects of emerging technology on business, marketing, and culture. Solis is also globally recognized as one of the most prominent thought leaders and published authors in new media. His new book, What's the Future of Busi ...more
More about Brian Solis...

“Twitter is your window to relevance , but Facebook is your home page for the Social Web” 2 likes