Start by marking “French for Dummies, Enhanced Edition” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
French for Dummies, En...

Zoe Erotopoulos

French for Dummies, Enhanced Edition

If you buy into the Pepé Le Pew stereotype of the French–arrogant, stuffy, overly amorous, and rather odiferous (Pepé Le Pew was a skunk. Talk about stereotypical!)–then think again. Not only are the French people some of the most relaxed, pleasant people you'll ever meet, but their society is one of the oldest, most culturally rich societies in the world. So it's no surpr ...more
Published February 8th 2012 by For Dummies (first published December 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about French for Dummies, Enhanced Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about French for Dummies, Enhanced Edition

Robert C.
Apr 15, 2015 Robert C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knowledge
I don't know why, but I've got this kind of French thing going on in my life right now. It's not as if I know any French people or that I'm planning to go to France in the foreseeable future, it's just that I seem to come across a lot of French stuff at the moment.

The FM radio in the car is on the fritz, but the LW and AM works ok, and it's amazing what sort of stuff is on that band - there's Indian music, sport (a lot of sport), some English music and chat, and then there's stuff that's being b
Jasmin
Of all the French books I've read, I believe this is the most helpful. It comes with pronunciation guides, which for a "dummy" like me, is essential. There are also useful flags on the side that indicates what to remember, grammar notes and tips.

They also indicate the difference between Canadian French and the French French.

Recommended to all the beginners out there.
Joy
I found it hard to learn on my own using this book - I probably need more CD's than the one that came with this. I only have 1 year of high school French (eons ago!). Wish I could recommend it but c'est la vie!
Constance
Mar 08, 2013 Constance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forgive me any error. When one is reading French for Dummies, 6 books in one, and it isn't listed as an item in Goodreads, one may decide to go with what the program offers. My bookmark is restin in Book 2 chapter 5 at the moment and the suspense is magnetic. ~ googled, alas!

Pardonnez-moi toute erreur. Quand on lire en français pour les nuls, 6 livres en un seul, et il n'est pas répertorié comme un élément dans Goodreads, on peut décider d'aller avec ce que le programme offre. Mon marque-page es
Scott Schank
Better than I expected. Kind of basic (for me), but did include good new words and phrases. Based on this, I will include other "Dummies" books in my studies.
MaryEllen Elizabeth Hart
Excellent!!! Can't say enough good about this program. Really good.
Quincess Za
Apr 08, 2012 Quincess Za rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zaza
The hardest language I've ever learned. For beginners, I think this book is for you. I can't hardly speak French but with this book, I've learn so much about the daily "French words" phrases that I find it useful if you want to visit France.
Riobhcah
Nov 29, 2012 Riobhcah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: français
So far, this has been a fairly good review of French. There is a rather good explanation of the difference between the three types of pronomial verbs on page 156.
Allison C. McCulloch
Read a lot of the beginning pages and some of the conversations on the accompanying disc. Didn't find it particularly helpful, but I may read the rest sometime.
Lucia
Dec 14, 2012 Lucia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty helpful if you want a quick fix. Grammar was splattered throughout and I wished there had been an appendix with all the straight rules.
Marilou Sansores paredes
No realmente útil si quieres hablar el francés, es más bien para cuando vas a viajar y necesitas comunicarte un poco para no perecer ahí.
Jc Ontiveros
Jan 02, 2013 Jc Ontiveros rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book helped my initial attempts of reading French by it's pronunciation. I thank this book for my fairly decent French accent.
Dawn
Aug 24, 2013 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, how-to
Though the practical information is about a decade out of date, the style is actually a lot more helpful than I expected.
Julie Leggett
the first few chapters are almost too easy if you have ever taken any french...even in high school 12 years ago.
Nancy
Feb 14, 2009 Nancy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
It is really outdated, but I like reading it anyway. Read this and skip to that. I guess it is for dummies.
Nancy Zuerlein
Jul 03, 2013 Nancy Zuerlein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I particularly liked that this book included the phonetic pronunciation of the French words.
Chris
Jun 19, 2009 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not for me. Very boring way to learn a new language.
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Ricky LLanes
Ricky LLanes marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Hector Moya Rojas
Hector Moya Rojas rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Cam
Cam marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Claire Moylan
Claire Moylan marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Engirobzpok
Engirobzpok rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Deddy
Deddy marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Francisca
Francisca is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2016
Mo
Mo marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
choi yun-kyung
choi yun-kyung marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Fernando Alzate
Fernando Alzate marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016