Start by marking “Pressure Cookers for Dummies?” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Pressure Cookers for D...

Tom Lacalamita

Pressure Cookers for Dummies?

"Pressure Cookers For Dummies" gives you the lowdown on the different types of pressure cookers that exist. It also has special features of pressure cookers -- including new safety valves -- to make sure you get the modern pressure cooker best equipped to suit your needs. It includes 80 delicious recipes for quick dishes such as, soups, chilis, and stews; roasts and poultr ...more
Published April 4th 2011 by For Dummies (first published October 29th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Pressure Cookers for Dummies?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pressure Cookers for Dummies?

Ivonne Rovira
Mar 01, 2014 Ivonne Rovira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The For Dummies books are pretty much exactly as advertised: a gentle introduction to any subject. So it is with Pressure Cookers For Dummies. This how-to manual takes you through the basics of the various types of pressure cookers and the way in which they work.

However, the book also boasts quite a few lovely pressure cooker recipes to tempt even longtime pressure-cooker users. (I've been using the pressure cooker my Cuban mother bought in the Bronx in 1962 until not so long ago. Thank you, Ma
D.w.
Feb 25, 2013 D.w. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
There are some good points in this book, but there are also things that should be here, and were not. It seems like the Dummies editors are taking short cuts and not making their books for dummies but for a select few.

The Dummies series was great at one time. Not comprehensive about the subject but it not only got you started, but you would be pretty well advanced by the time you were done with a book. Her Lacalamita is very enthusiastic about his passion.

But he is repetitive and that eats into
Sara
Apr 23, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this cookbook. I made one recipe and it was just fine. I checked this out from the library. I wouldn't mind owning this, but it wasn't compelling enough for me to purchase my own copy. I enjoyed the tips and tricks sections.
Helen
Sep 18, 2015 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I checked this out as a library book, but will be buying a copy. It has far more vegetarian recipes than the other book I looked at and makes the functioning of the cooker very clear. One caveat is that it does sometimes employ a cold water release for the stove-top cookers, which online sources warn against using. Since I have an electric cooker, I can easily ignore that. One thing I'm very grateful for is the clarification of water amounts. This makes it clear that when my manual says 8 cups o ...more
Alisa
Apr 13, 2016 Alisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
So far of all the pressure cooking books, this one has had the most successful recipes for my family. There are no pictures, which means me liking it is somewhat unusual as I love cookbooks with pictures, but I did like the idea of normal recipes on one side, and the pressure cooker side on the other. Recipes I have tried that we especially loved were pasta fagioli, corn chowder, ... and will add more as I try them. Good pressure cooking cookbook for me.
Pixie
Oct 09, 2015 Pixie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a lot of pressure cooker cookbooks lately. This one is a must-read. "Dummies" title aside, it does cover some basic information that new pressure cooker owners need to know, and that regular cookbooks don't cover. It does a better job of describing how to clean the cooker and inspect the gasket than the owner's manual did, for instance. It also has some recipes that I will use.
Leigh
Fun to read but hopelessly out of date. Pressure cookers are far more capable than they were in 2001, so the information in this book is inaccurate and recipes would have to be adapted to newer appliances.
Dawn
Dawn rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2016
Barbara A Jenkins
Barbara A Jenkins rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Jake
Jake rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Frank Bruni
Frank Bruni rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
simon bowman
simon bowman rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Lyn
Lyn rated it really liked it
May 19, 2015
Patrick
Patrick rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2015
Melissa L Bailey
Melissa L Bailey rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2014
Tiana
Tiana rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2016
Thea Levesque
Thea Levesque rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2016
Robyn
Robyn rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
Sherry
Sherry rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2014
John Ruben
John Ruben rated it liked it
May 29, 2015
susan wippich
susan wippich rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2015
g gggg
g gggg rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2015
T. Holtz
T. Holtz rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Yvette Andrews
Yvette Andrews rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Rebecca Pizzuti
Rebecca Pizzuti rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2017
Martin Scott
Martin Scott rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2016
PWRL
Apr 12, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Jennifer Wichman
Jennifer Wichman rated it liked it
May 21, 2015
Kathy Lonquist
Kathy Lonquist rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2009
Alyssa Reid
Alyssa Reid rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2014