Start by marking “12 Simple Secrets Real Moms Know: Getting Back to Basics and Raising Happy Kids” as Want to Read:
12 Simple Secrets Real Moms Know: Getting Back to Basics and Raising Happy Kids

12 Simple Secrets Real Moms Know: Getting Back to Basics and Raising Happy Kids

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Best-selling parenting guru Michele Borba, the mother of three, has surveyed 5,000 mothers for their experience and wisdom in raising happier, more confident kids by returning to a more natural, authentic kind of mothering. She shares 12 top secrets of successful moms culled from her research and shows how to apply them to your family.You'll learn how to...Apply the 12 ess...more
Published March 24th 2006 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about 12 Simple Secrets Real Moms Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 12 Simple Secrets Real Moms Know

BB
What I learned from this book:
1. A mother who loves teaches self-worth.
2. A mother who is firm & fair gives her kids a moral code to live by.
3. A mother who listens shows her children they matter.
4. A mother who is a good role-model gives her children an example worth copying.
5. A mother who teaches values inspires character.
6. A mother who supports her kids strengths builds their confidence.
7. A mother who encourages independence cultivates self-reliance.
8. A mother who applauds effort nu...more
Lisa
I read this book on a computer, so that was new to me. There are many good things about this book, and each of the 12 simple secrets could be something I pick this book back up to read again. The best thing about this book to me is that it is not a "how to" guide, but it is inspiring with just enough instruction to get you going in the right direction. These are the author's words at the end of the book, which I much appreciated:

"I hope this is the last parenting book you'll ever read for a lon...more
Jody
Her main point really is... we know this already. We just need to practice living it more. And that is how I felt when I read it. 'Important, but nothing new here.' I wrote down the key points for each 'secret', but I had a hard time relating to very many of the examples since so many of them were about the over-scheduled, over-pressured kid. I think that speaks to how pervasive that issue really is. I think I will work on two of the 'secrets' that my family most needs to focus on. There are oth...more
Amanda
I don't think anything in this book is particulary new. It's a lot of common sense, but sometimes we need helpful reminders to be more thoughtful and mindful about what we do with our children and how we interact with them. There are some good points here, but there were some places that really turned me off. The comparison and idealization of June Cleaver as the best mom ruffled my feathers a bit. I also don't do well when people try to use scare tactics to change my behavior. There were one to...more
Rebekah Sheppard
Excellent direction on how to focus on your child(ren) and filter out what may be good, but the not best, for them and you.
I really enjoyed this book. It focuses on what kids really need, versus what parents think they need in the "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality. I also appreciated that the book emphasized that part of being a good mom is taking care of your own needs, too.

This book had good tips, practical advice, and interesting anecdotes for raising happy kids with healthy self esteem.

This book reaffirms that a good mom doesn't need to enroll her kid in umpteen activities or devote every second to the kid...more
emigrazia
I couldn't get through this book because I found myself disagreeing with the author about nearly everything. I partially agreed with her reaction to over-scheduled kids who never sit down at the table, and that being rushed all the time is bad. However when she offered up June Cleaver as the ideal mother, she lost me. Despite this grandmother's admission that times have changed since those days, I still found her very out of touch. Will not make time to finish this book.
This book validates everything I feel as a mother. It teaches how to simplify the relationship with your children, how to truly listen, and much more. I want to read this again and again, just to remind me of the basics of good mothering. Inspiring, easy-to-read, and beautiful. Great real-life anecdotes. It even includes *worksheets* to help you apply the principles it teaches in your own parenting.
Whitney
More then anything else, I love the reminders this book gives of what motherhood is really about and to not worry about the expectations we impose on it. Helps me remember to take joy in being a mom and forget about the benchmarks I may try to set for myself or my kids. A few of the examples/case studies used were pretty dramatic or extreme, but on the whole, I found it a good reminder to be a real mom.
Lisa
Just like every parenting book, there are things I don't necessarily agree with, but overall, I thought this book had great ideas. It's main idea is that too many moms have pushed their kids into a fast-paced, materialistic life and call it motherhood. It has some great ideas on how to spend more meaningful time with your kids and on how to truly get to know them.
Sara
It's nice to be reminded about some simple things you should be doing as a Mom so that when your kids go running to their father when he comes walking through the door like they are being raised by a crazy lady you can actually confirm that they are:)
Tawni
I admit I only made it through the first couple chapters. It was a good book, but I am not sure if it was due to pregnancy or busy season but I felt so guilty from it I even cried one night :) So I quit reading it, but it was pretty good.
Melissa
I skimmed this when my son was a baby. Now that he is older I need to re-read it. I thought it had great examples. It made me think about what is REALLY important and how that I will teach that to my children.
Michelle Williamson
I loved this book. Wish I didn't have to take it back to the library ! Would love to re-read it at a later date when my kids are older. Great insight and ideas for parents with kids of all ages.
Laurie
This book helps filter out all the fluff of parenting and reminds me that the most important things are the values and love we exhibit to our kids.
Lori
I really liked the message of this book. It has a lot of lists of things, but if you take them one at a time they shouldn't be overwhelming.
Tessie
This book gave some basic, down to earth parenting advice. It made me feel a lot better about not being "the perfect mom"
Jenna
This book was a pleasant surprise, it really is 12 simple secrets but each is presented very thoughtfully.
Tiffany Johnson
This book didn't teach me anything I didn't know, but it did remind me of things that I could be doing a little better.
Tracy
Nothing I didn't already know, but it's nice to be reminded every once in a while.
Audrey
This is a great book for reminding us mothers how to keep our priorities straight.
Kelly
Pretty good, although nothing I don't already know.
Kate
Feb 24, 2009 Kate marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Book recommended by ML.
Jesica
Has a lot of great insights.
Karin Katherine
Karin Katherine marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Amanda Kincaid
Amanda Kincaid marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Building Moral Intelligence: The Seven Essential Virtues That Teach Kids to Do the Right Thing Parents Do Make a Difference: How to Raise Kids with Solid Character, Strong Minds, and Caring Hearts No More Misbehavin': 38 Difficult Behaviors and How to Stop Them The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries Nobody Likes Me, Everybody Hates Me: The Top 25 Friendship Problems and How to Solve Them