Start by marking “12 Simple Secrets Real Moms Know: Getting Back to Basics and Raising Happy Kids” as Want to Read:
12 Simple Secrets Real Moms Know: Getting Back to Basics and Raising Happy Kids

12 Simple Secrets Real Moms Know: Getting Back to Basics and Raising Happy Kids

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Best-selling parenting guru Michele Borba, the mother of three, has surveyed 5,000 mothers for their experience and wisdom in raising happier, more confident kids by returning to a more natural, authentic kind of mothering. She shares 12 top secrets of successful moms culled from her research and shows how to apply them to your family.You'll learn how to...Apply the 12 ess ...more
Published March 24th 2006 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about 12 Simple Secrets Real Moms Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 12 Simple Secrets Real Moms Know

BB
Jul 09, 2008 BB rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I learned from this book:
1. A mother who loves teaches self-worth.
2. A mother who is firm & fair gives her kids a moral code to live by.
3. A mother who listens shows her children they matter.
4. A mother who is a good role-model gives her children an example worth copying.
5. A mother who teaches values inspires character.
6. A mother who supports her kids strengths builds their confidence.
7. A mother who encourages independence cultivates self-reliance.
8. A mother who applauds effort nu
Lisa
Jan 09, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book on a computer, so that was new to me. There are many good things about this book, and each of the 12 simple secrets could be something I pick this book back up to read again. The best thing about this book to me is that it is not a "how to" guide, but it is inspiring with just enough instruction to get you going in the right direction. These are the author's words at the end of the book, which I much appreciated:

"I hope this is the last parenting book you'll ever read for a lon
Jody
Feb 05, 2011 Jody rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Her main point really is... we know this already. We just need to practice living it more. And that is how I felt when I read it. 'Important, but nothing new here.' I wrote down the key points for each 'secret', but I had a hard time relating to very many of the examples since so many of them were about the over-scheduled, over-pressured kid. I think that speaks to how pervasive that issue really is. I think I will work on two of the 'secrets' that my family most needs to focus on. There are oth ...more
Amanda
Feb 10, 2013 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't think anything in this book is particulary new. It's a lot of common sense, but sometimes we need helpful reminders to be more thoughtful and mindful about what we do with our children and how we interact with them. There are some good points here, but there were some places that really turned me off. The comparison and idealization of June Cleaver as the best mom ruffled my feathers a bit. I also don't do well when people try to use scare tactics to change my behavior. There were one to ...more
Rebekah Sheppard
Feb 28, 2014 Rebekah Sheppard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Excellent direction on how to focus on your child(ren) and filter out what may be good, but the not best, for them and you.
Jan 24, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It focuses on what kids really need, versus what parents think they need in the "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality. I also appreciated that the book emphasized that part of being a good mom is taking care of your own needs, too.

This book had good tips, practical advice, and interesting anecdotes for raising happy kids with healthy self esteem.

This book reaffirms that a good mom doesn't need to enroll her kid in umpteen activities or devote every second to the kid
emigrazia
May 08, 2010 emigrazia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't get through this book because I found myself disagreeing with the author about nearly everything. I partially agreed with her reaction to over-scheduled kids who never sit down at the table, and that being rushed all the time is bad. However when she offered up June Cleaver as the ideal mother, she lost me. Despite this grandmother's admission that times have changed since those days, I still found her very out of touch. Will not make time to finish this book.
May 21, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book validates everything I feel as a mother. It teaches how to simplify the relationship with your children, how to truly listen, and much more. I want to read this again and again, just to remind me of the basics of good mothering. Inspiring, easy-to-read, and beautiful. Great real-life anecdotes. It even includes *worksheets* to help you apply the principles it teaches in your own parenting.
Whitney
Nov 13, 2009 Whitney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More then anything else, I love the reminders this book gives of what motherhood is really about and to not worry about the expectations we impose on it. Helps me remember to take joy in being a mom and forget about the benchmarks I may try to set for myself or my kids. A few of the examples/case studies used were pretty dramatic or extreme, but on the whole, I found it a good reminder to be a real mom.
Lisa
Apr 11, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Just like every parenting book, there are things I don't necessarily agree with, but overall, I thought this book had great ideas. It's main idea is that too many moms have pushed their kids into a fast-paced, materialistic life and call it motherhood. It has some great ideas on how to spend more meaningful time with your kids and on how to truly get to know them.
Sara
Oct 16, 2009 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's nice to be reminded about some simple things you should be doing as a Mom so that when your kids go running to their father when he comes walking through the door like they are being raised by a crazy lady you can actually confirm that they are:)
Tawni
Mar 12, 2009 Tawni rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I admit I only made it through the first couple chapters. It was a good book, but I am not sure if it was due to pregnancy or busy season but I felt so guilty from it I even cried one night :) So I quit reading it, but it was pretty good.
Melissa
Aug 06, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I skimmed this when my son was a baby. Now that he is older I need to re-read it. I thought it had great examples. It made me think about what is REALLY important and how that I will teach that to my children.
Michelle Williamson
I loved this book. Wish I didn't have to take it back to the library ! Would love to re-read it at a later date when my kids are older. Great insight and ideas for parents with kids of all ages.
Laurie
Feb 17, 2009 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book helps filter out all the fluff of parenting and reminds me that the most important things are the values and love we exhibit to our kids.
Lori
Jul 27, 2008 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the message of this book. It has a lot of lists of things, but if you take them one at a time they shouldn't be overwhelming.
Tessie
Sep 22, 2008 Tessie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gave some basic, down to earth parenting advice. It made me feel a lot better about not being "the perfect mom"
Jenna
Feb 18, 2012 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a pleasant surprise, it really is 12 simple secrets but each is presented very thoughtfully.
Tiffany Johnson
Nov 07, 2011 Tiffany Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book didn't teach me anything I didn't know, but it did remind me of things that I could be doing a little better.
Tracy
Dec 31, 2009 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Nothing I didn't already know, but it's nice to be reminded every once in a while.
Audrey
Oct 09, 2008 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for reminding us mothers how to keep our priorities straight.
Kelly
Jul 21, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good, although nothing I don't already know.
Susan
Jun 04, 2016 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good overview. Nothing new.
Kate
Feb 24, 2009 Kate marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Book recommended by ML.
Jesica
Apr 29, 2008 Jesica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Has a lot of great insights.
Alicia
Oct 12, 2009 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Retro Apple
Retro Apple marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Charles Warner
Charles Warner marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016