Start by marking “The Art And Science Of Teaching: A Comprehensive Framework For Effective Instruction” as Want to Read:

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  475 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Though classroom instructional strategies should clearly be based on sound science and research, knowing when to use them and with whom is more of an art. In The Art and Science of Teaching: A Comprehensive Framework for Effective Instruction, author Robert J. Marzano presents a model for ensuring quality teaching that balances the necessity of research-based data with the ...more
Paperback
Published January 1st 2007 by Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development

To ask other readers questions about The Art And Science Of Teaching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art And Science Of Teaching

Matt
While this book is heavy on "impressive" statistics that are supposed to wow the reader, the ideas and framework questions Marzano presents in this professional development book are not very new ideas. I would recommend this to new teachers and veteran teachers who are burned out and need a fresh perspective to help their students learn effectively.
Fred Gorrell
The way statistics are used in this book, and the way the author has chosen to lump together studies with disparate methodologies, will be disconcerting for many readers with backgrounds in research. My first bias is to forgive that, both because the author fully discloses the limitations inherent in meta-analysis and because the validity of the statistical approach isn't really so important if there is a good suggestion shared that leads to more learning. In any case, I'm less likely to be sway ...more
Wendi Klaiber
I've read two other books written by Marzano, and this book blends the research of many studies with practical application very well. I've been teaching for more than 20 years, and I found this book challenging me to switch up a few things. I highly recommend it to any teacher. In fact, I'm thinking of having the Algebra 1 teacher cohort in my department read it together and discuss at monthly meetings.
Josh Aronovitch
Not impressed. Most of the points made are common sense dressed up in the jargon of the day. I am skeptical of a book that relies on research linking various differences in teaching to "student achievement" without digging deeper into how we measure student achievement. All these correlations depend on the reliability of our measurements of student achievement, and I don't think we are good enough at testing what really matters to unquestioningly assume these measures are valid. Overall, disappo ...more
Kendall
The information's good....but what gets me is that it is other places and has been all along. I prefer Harry Wong's The First Days of School....which gets it right AND trusts that the teacher knows best. Sigh....those were the good days. Marzano's sudden popularity seems like one more stripe in the road to a national curriculum and merit pay.
Steve
Overall, I think this book is helpful, but I did have a couple problems with Marzano's The Art and Science of Teaching. First, as I read through the various strategies, and especially the forced sample student-teacher conversations that went along with them, I got the impression that the book was directed towards teachers within more prestigious school districts. Some of the strategies are universal, but I question the effectiveness of other strategies in a district with real problems. Second, I ...more
Claudia
Nov 16, 2010 Claudia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Claudia by: Shirley Simmons
Marzano does a good job here, as he has before, of synthesizing the research and making it understandable and applicable. I read this with an inward eye, assessing my own classroom behaviors and procedures. I would like to spend time talking to colleagues about these questions and how they play out in our practice.I was interested to see him spend time and space discussing the importance of establishing and maintaining relationships. Not necessarily close 'friendly' relationships, but positive, ...more
Gretchen Mary
This book would probably be good for a more seasoned teacher than I am. I read this as a first year teacher but I was still trying to get my classroom management under control before I was ready to delve into the logistics of comprehensive effective instruction. I think that once you are comfortable in the classroom you can perfect your art of teaching but with the first year you are trying to float instead of sink.
Remy
Marzano explains his research in ways that make it apparent how to implement in your classroom and also how to explore more deeply into the topic. A must read for any teacher who wants to use evidence to support their decision making.
Nikki
I enjoyed the read as it was not difficult. Additionally, it was reinforcement as I am doing almost everything that is mentioned. So that was nice.
Andrea Huelsenbeck
This is a good book about teaching. But, you know what? There are millions of good books about teaching. I read this book because in our school district we teachers are being evaluated on the basis of how well we follow this particular recipe for teaching. I find it frustrating, because I know in a few years we will be required to change the way we teach again to fit whatever new fashion our legislators and administrators become enthralled with. I wish teachers were allowed to self-correct based ...more
Paula
This was a great book full of good information on teaching.
Heather Obartuck
Dec 28, 2014 Heather Obartuck marked it as to-read
Shelves: education
The county I teach in evaluates instructional coaches and teachers with standards based on Marzano's books. I must admit, when I first read his book, I found myself having to refocus and reread constantly - it just did not hold my interest! After rereading and discussing with my PLC, I began to take more of an interest, especially the chapters on creating effective rubrics and rethinking how homework is assigned and graded. Overall, I would recommend this as a book study for any school looking f ...more
Bridget
Wasn't required to read the whole text, so I didn't. however, I would consider going back to this and reading the sections that I didn't already. Not so specific it drove me crazy, but not so broad there was nothing to apply.
Mary
Apr 17, 2012 Mary rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teachers
Recommended to Mary by: Other teachers
Shelves: education
This books is a great read for teachers especially those who reside in an area in which teachers are to be evaluated using the Marzano Domains. I found this book to be quite informative even though I do believe most teachers do implement some of these strategies into their own classroom. The book is also beneficial to read especially if you are a beginning teacher like I am. Knowing the lingo will really put a feather in your cap when speaking to other teachers and of course administration.
Kelly
I had to read this for a professional development class and I really liked some of the strategies he mentions. Very easy to quickly implement in the classroom :)
Karen
Excellent chapter in here about homework. Every teacher should read and reassess homework.

This is the text Palm Beach County gave the principals and sent them to a workshop. Teachers' evaluations will be based on his research.

I read it, not chapter by chapter, it is kinda dry. I was able to compare what I was doing that was effective. Definitely the chapter on homework is worth reading and sharing with school. I photocopied it.
Amy
This book is full of research results that support many things I do in the classroom. I also now have a new bucket of tools to incorporate into my lessons. Sometimes I do things and didn't really now why or have a purpose, this text helped me by giving great daily reflection questions to make each part of my lessons meaningful/purposeful. I like the idea of giving parents guidelines for homework. I want to try interactive homework this year!
Debra
The ideas in this book are the ones I have heard for years, since I have been teaching for 20+ years. Unfortunately, I now teach virtually and half this book or more deals with the classroom.

Hopefully when we have a speaker next week for our back to school meetings they will focus more on virtual education.
Michelle Nass
I'm trying to grow up and read more professional books. Marzano is a name that gets thrown around quite a bit at my school, and I saw this book at Borders, so I thought, why not? What else am I doing? It was a good read--a reminder of a lot of the basic tenants we are taught in undergrad. There were a few gems that I pulled out and hope to be cognizant of when the students come back!
Jennifer Duda
Good research-especially on the usefulness of homework and its impact on younger vs. older kids and the use of cooperative groups. Some great ideas too for teachers to use more student self-monitoring to measure progress. I took off one star because the math involved with the graphs was not very user friendly or understandable. I know I'm an English teacher but gee-whiz!
Candace Wegner
I read this in chunks as needed and view it more as a resource tool. I strongly recommend, too, taking the class with Robert Marzano. He really helped clarify everything and gave suggestions on how one might adapt it to a specific school. I walked away feeling empowered to design an instructional model for our school. Highly recommend this resource.
Marissa
I find the title of this book misleading as the "art" of teaching is not chapters upon chapters of nonsense statistical data. You can have all of the data in the world about your students and still not be an effective teacher. I guess I am "old school" in a way of thinking do what's right for kids. I don't need a book to tell me that.
Brien
We are currently reading this book as a teaching team at work. So far, the strategies are solid, but bring a big glass of water or iced tea, because this book is very DRY. Bone dry. Lost in the Gobi desert dry.
I like the data that was compiled to prove that the strategies work in the classrooms, but holy cow...dry.
Amanda
I only read the sections on classroom management. I heard that this was an amazing book but I found it rather boring. It read like a long research article full of statistics. It is a good reminder of what you should be doing but it didn't have much new to offer.
This book was rehash of psychological/educational research that most informed teachers already know about (sprinkled with some of Marzano's own). I didn't read anything that is going to make me teach any differently, so I had go with a lower rating.
Ross
I thought Marzano had a lot of practical ideas for both classroom management and instruction. Sometimes this book was dry and heavily statistic driven but supported the information they were presenting. This book is great for educators.
Mrs. Rosenberg
I liked the emphasis on what research tells us about what works and the practical suggestions for structuring lessons and engaging students. I thought the author had realistic ideas for planning instruction that works for all students.
B.J. Robinson
Don't like the new system or the book. Much of it contains strategies teachers already know and use. Seems like it being made a required book is just a money-making scheme. My personal opinion is the book was a waste of my money.
Gastoryteller
Marzano does a great job of synthesizing what the research says, but it still reads as rather clinical- missing the passion of someone like Doug Reeves. Still, he is a leading expert and well worth the time!
  • Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching
  • Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design: Connecting Content and Kids
  • Fair Isn't Always Equal: Assessing & Grading in the Differentiated Classroom
  • Teaching with the Brain in Mind
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement
  • Results Now: How We Can Achieve Unprecedented Improvements in Teaching and Learning
  • Total Participation Techniques: Making Every Student an Active Learner
  • Focus: Elevating the Essentials to Radically Improve Student Learning
  • What Great Teachers Do Differently: Fourteen Things That Matter Most
  • Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (Book & CD-ROM)
  • Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization
  • The First Days of School: How to Be an Effective Teacher [With CDROM]
  • Discipline with Dignity: New Challenges, New Solutions
  • Guided Reading: Good First Teaching for All Children
  • Curriculum 21: Essential Education for a Changing World
  • Visible Learning: A Synthesis of Over 800 Meta-Analyses Relating to Achievement
  • Understanding by Design
Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement Classroom Management That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Every Teacher School Leadership That Works: From Research to Results Building Academic Vocabulary: Teacher's Manual What Works in Schools: Translating Research Into Action