Start by marking “Patient One” as Want to Read:
Patient One

Patient One (Dr. David Ballineau and Carolyn Ross #1)

A new thriller from USA Today best-selling author Leonard Goldberg

Published May 8th 2012 by Midnight Ink (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Patient One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patient One

Mary Chrapliwy
Apr 14, 2012 Mary Chrapliwy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-books
So much more than just a medical mystery - also an excellent political thriller.

Leonard Goldberg weaves a tale that opens with an extravagant party in LA, full of distinguished guests who are ingesting a toxin without knowing it. He reveals that the distinguished guests are the President of the United States, the first family, a Russian President and his wife, and many other high ranking members of the government. Goldberg transports the reader to the hospital where the ill party guests are tak
Mike Cavosie
May 06, 2012 Mike Cavosie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Might be a good beach read. But I was at home, and it sucked.
Heather
Sep 05, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis (from BN.com): U.S. President John Merrill is hosting Russian President Dimitri Suslev at a glittering state dinner to celebrate a new economic pact. As the after-dinner toasts begin, the two leaders, their wives, and scores of prominent guests become violently ill. Merrill and Suslev, along with the other stricken guests, are rushed to the nearest hospital. As Secret Service agents struggle to secure the hospital and locate Merrill’s daughter, the President’s personal physician — who’s ...more
Jacob Peled
Jun 25, 2014 Jacob Peled rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 6-stars, _2014
If you like Medical suspense and on top of that the kind of what I call "white house" suspense book, you're bound to like this book. It's a mix between Robin Cook or Michael Palmer, with the like of Vince Flynn or Kyle Mills. The hero in the book is never described as a super hero. On the contrary, things just happen to him, even mistakes. The story take place within 6 hours, so you can imagine the high intensity the author had to put in. Bottom line, It's the kind of book, that can't make you s ...more
Andy Plonka
Jul 14, 2012 Andy Plonka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although one has to accept that the main character a former Special Ops guy in the army is now a physican in a hospital in Los Angeles who just happens to be on call when the president of the US is brought in with acute food poisoning, this ia a well done medical thriller that has lots of medical info suitable for laymen, and a plausible terrorist plot that doesn't involve a tremendous amount of ploitics.
Regan
Mar 25, 2012 Regan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book started out so promising. I was 20% into it (on my Kindle) and could barely put it down and then it started to get a bit repetitious.

SPOILER ALERT

The blow by blow descriptions of medical issues and procedures, the in depth would be interesting but it was way too much. There was also a lot of omniscient point of view, pages of narrative with really long paragraphs. I didn't care very much for David, the hero.
Peg
This book is really not that bad and some may like it but I just didn't want to invest any more time in it when there are so many better books to read and so little time. The premise is good but it quickly becomes too farfetched for my taste. I hope I got it on Amazon's Daily Deal and didn't pay too much for it.
Joseph M. O'Connor
Meh!

OK, I guess. No.... one-half step below OK. Too bad that the book lets the reader know all too well that the author is a physician and not a professional writer. Shame on his editor for not spotting some egregious errors of syntax. I'd say that the plot was 95% predictable. No surprises. I read it as a library e-book. I would not recommend that anyone actually BUY it.
Ben Pashkoff
A bit predictable, and a bit non-realistic (yeah, right Former Spec Ops Operative turned Ace ER doctor who still has no problem with "Kill or be killed") BTW, HOW did he ever contemplate the Hippocratic Oath???? And of course the perfect leading lady... Ace ER nurse who happened to take an almost admin position in the posh boutique ward.... Sorry, a little too much, and a little over done.
Jan
Feb 12, 2013 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for medical novels of all stripes, so what can I say? Writing a bit stilted, but -- OK. Too many coincidences, but -- hey, that's part of the fun, no? I will be looking for more books by this author if they are free for the Kindle.
Charles Robinson
Jan 23, 2015 Charles Robinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FOUR STARS

Very good thrill ride from this author. All the characters involved were well written and the plot was very fast paced. I also really liked how the author reminded all the readers that everything happened within six hours.
Jimmie H. Nehr
Jul 24, 2016 Jimmie H. Nehr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bravery in the Medical Arena

Exciting all the way.... excellent story and interesting characters. Kept me enthralled all the way. Never dull or slow moving. I want to read more of this writer's works.
Brenda
Sep 15, 2013 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
This book kept me on the edge of my seat wanting to know what was going to happen next. Some of the descriptions of the shoot out bothered me because they were too detailed. This author is okay to read once in awhile, but I don't think he will ever make my "TOP 20" list of favorites.
Stewart
Jun 27, 2012 Stewart rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-longer-own
Utterly ridiculous popcorn medical/terrorism thriller. Best thing I can say about it is the brisk pacing, as I read all 360 pages of it in a single day, mostly during a round-trip on the metro.
Cheryl
Mar 06, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't read this type of book but I read the prologue and was hooked this book was so good cant wait to read another one of Leonard Goldberg books
Elaine Mayes
Jul 30, 2012 Elaine Mayes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
A fast read; good thriller.
Bibliobabe
Jan 17, 2016 Bibliobabe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack Reacher if he became a Dr. loved it!
Lori
Dec 02, 2012 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
very early robin cook like, not bad
Pat Malon
Enjoyed the book, will read others by this author.
Xanthina
May 13, 2012 Xanthina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good read I found it difficult to put down and read it in approx 5 nights.Even though there were parts that were totally predictable ie handsome Dr and pretty nurse.
Sue
Jul 09, 2012 Sue rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aarf-yuck-ugh
Could not retain my attention.
Mary
May 26, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good medical thriller escape novel!
Christine
I enjoyed this book. It isn't the kind of book I normally read but would recommend it.
Arthur
Dec 26, 2013 Arthur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The plot was extreme which I liked and this book was the best I've ever read in my life.
Gail
Apr 09, 2014 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Started this book this morning and just finished it this evening!! Great book! Never read this author before, but can't wait to read more!! Suspenseful, edge of your seat book…..
Molly
Apr 05, 2014 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trashy implausible adventure. Lots of fun!
Abbey
Dec 20, 2013 Abbey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good adventure, fast-paced and fun to read.
Sallyla
The romance between the doctor and nurse was almost too cutesy, liked some of the action. Not sure if I will read this author again.
Errin
Jul 16, 2012 Errin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-divas
I liked this one enough to check out some of his Johanna Blalock series of books!!!
Elizabeth Linnell

An okay thriller but character development was a little weak. A bit of a let down at the end.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Carnival For The Dead (Nic Costa, #10)
  • Fool: A Novel
  • Unwritten Rules
  • Deadly Politics (A Molly Malone Mystery, #1)
  • Fires of Autumn (American Heroes, #12)
  • Heaven Should Fall
  • Grave of Angels
  • The K Street Affair
  • Cut Loose (Dusty Deals Mystery #2)
  • Cherry Ames, Staff Nurse (Cherry Ames, #23)
  • Whiplash River
  • No Peace for the Damned (Damned, #1)
  • Cherry Ames, Night Supervisor
  • Five, Six ... Grab Your Crucifix (Rebekka Franck, #3)
  • The Drought
  • Playing Doctor (Bandit Creek, #26)
  • The Search for South Pole Santa
Leonard Goldberg is an American physicist, professor of medicine, and the author of the Joanna Blalock series of medical thrillers.

His novels have been translated into a dozen languages and sold more than a million copies worldwide. Leonard Goldberg is himself a consulting physician affiliated with the UCLA Medical Center, where he holds an appointment as Clinical Professor of Medicine. A sought-a
More about Leonard Goldberg...

Dr. David Ballineau and Carolyn Ross (2 books)
  • Plague Ship (Dr. David Ballineau and Carolyn Ross #2)