Start by marking “Garden Witchery: Magick from the Ground Up” as Want to Read:
Garden Witchery: Magick from the Ground Up

Garden Witchery: Magick from the Ground Up

How does your magickal garden grow?... With violets, rosemary, and yarrow to attract faeries; an apple tree for love and health; and a circle of stones in some tucked-away corner? Whether you live in a cottage in the woods, a home in the suburbs, or a city apartment with a small balcony, a powerful and enchanted realm awaits you. Discover the secret language and magickal p ...more
Published September 1st 2013 by Llewellyn Publications (first published March 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Garden Witchery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Garden Witchery

Nicole
May 18, 2009 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laurie
Aug 15, 2013 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of Ellen Dugan’s magick is done with plant materials, and she tries to grow a lot of it. Most people think of herbs when they think of magickal plants, but in this volume, she writes points out how many plants that frequently aren’t considered magickal can be used; trees, perennials, even groundcovers. She presents many lists of correspondences: flower colors, planetary, days of the week, and gods & goddesses as they related to the plants, allowing you to match the plant to the intent ...more
Elizabeth Moore
Sep 07, 2016 Elizabeth Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wiccan
I enjoyed reading this book. It has given me a lot of good ideas for my patio garden I'll be making next summer.
Courteney
Dec 22, 2013 Courteney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ellen is a good writer that makes her books interesting, which in turn makes them easy to read even though they're guide books more than books one would read for pleasure. This book has a lot of relevant gardening information whether or not you follow her religion, and if you do follow her religion she has a lot of good spells and information for using herbs in your spells.
Ashley
Whether or not you ascribe to the religious aspects of Dugan's notions about gardening, the book still makes itself relevant and useful to anyone who enjoys a well-planted yard. Leaving aside magical associations, Dugan knows her stuff: she's been an award-winning gardender and horticulturist for years and knows what she speaks. Also useful are the aromatherapy and alternative health recipes.
Connie Easlick
I feel this book was a good starter book for learning how to. I don't like that it was written in the form it was, like a fiction book. I think it should have had different chapters that were more with points and spells.
It is written as if you are listening to a person tell you all about things at a coffee table along with her own experiences.
Enjoy!
The two best things about this book are:

1. It is full of practical gardening advice including zone ratings and lighting information for all the plants listed.
2. It has chart after chart of correspondences for the flowers, herbs, shrubs, and trees she mentions.

I cannot wait for the winter to end so I can go play in my garden again!
Charles
Mar 18, 2014 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a well written and informative book, a little to much to take in all at once for me. the beauty of a book like this is it sits on my bookshelf and gets picked up as a references when i start my planting in the garden and when i go to harvest for magical purposes
Leannear24
Jun 18, 2012 Leannear24 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wicca
i thought that this was a great book
full of useful information, ideas, spells and stories
if ur a witch who loves to garden or one that wants to get into gardening
then this would be a great book for u to add to ur collection
Stephanie
Jul 09, 2011 Stephanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witchcraft
Ellen Dugan writes very sweet, very basic books on witchcraft. An excellent book for those who are very new to gardening and the craft but not a good supplement book for those who have a good understanding of the topic.
Brandy
This was jam packed with great information. But I find it very hard to go back and reference things quickly when I need to refresh my memory. So I did like it, but somehow the organization of the book doesn't work for me.
Megan
SO much great information, advice, ideas... I can't wait for this spring when I can start planting herbs! I bought this book after getting it at the library, since I can see myself referring to it over and over.
Pamela
Jun 29, 2007 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful reference for the gardening witch. There are sample garden layouts, information on both growing and using various and sundry plants, and just a wealth of information for green witches. I adore this book.
Teresa
Mar 25, 2012 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ellen writes with comfortable humor. She's informative and fun; reading this book was like inviting a friend over for a cup of tea and a chat. I look forward to reading her others.
Felicia
Mar 06, 2011 Felicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This and "Elements of Witchcraft" were the first books by Ellen that I ever read and she is MAJORLY my most favorite Pagan author! I would recommend her books to any Pagan!
Mina
Aug 21, 2009 Mina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just got this book using an Amazon certificate. I am starting to garden, growing tomatoes, herbs, etc., so this looks like a book for me.
Jeanette
A great fun read!
Fee
Oct 13, 2013 Fee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting and positive. I need all the help I can get, so if that means planting some specific plant in my garden, I will ;-)
Oct 01, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this book from my Mom, once. It was very well written, with lots of beautiful picutres!
Saevör
Sep 10, 2008 Saevör rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book about gardening and witchery. It's written in a down-to-earth, humorous style.
Quentinloca
Jul 08, 2008 Quentinloca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned so much about gardening from this book. It got me so excited about gardening
Laurie
May 02, 2010 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
floriography, faeries and charms. Lovely little book, one I turn to again and again.
Kelsea Dawn Hume
Old garden folklore imparted by a delightfully dotty witch. What's not to like?
Heather Stroebel
I re-read this every year as I plan what I am going plant. Love this book!
Jessica
Dec 03, 2009 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I really ought not read books on Gardening at the beginning of the winter!!
Tracey-anne McCartney
Really enjoyed this book. Friendly, easy approach.
Natalie
Okay. Good starting point.
Monica
Oct 25, 2009 Monica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great information for anyone who loves to add a little magick to thier gardening!! By the way you dont have to have a yard to enjoy this book!
Eli Schuster
oooh la la
Devanya
Devanya marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
  • Everyday Magic: Spells & Rituals for Modern Living
  • Magical Aromatherapy: The Power of Scent
  • Embracing the Moon: A Witch's Guide to Rituals, Spellcraft and Shadow Work
  • Magical Housekeeping: Simple Charms & Practical Tips for Creating a Harmonious Home
  • Witch in the Kitchen: Magical Cooking for All Seasons
  • The Real Witches' Garden
  • Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • A Witch's Guide To Faery Folk: How to Work With the Elemental World
  • Natural Magic
  • The Circle Within: Creating a Wiccan Spiritual Tradition
  • Animal Magick the Art of Recognizing and Working with Familiars
Ellen Dugan, is the award winning author known as the "Garden Witch". A psychic-clairvoyant, she has been a practicing Witch for over twenty-seven years. She is a Master Gardener, and teaches classes locally and online on Witchery, psychic development, and Magick. She is the author of the 16 non fiction books published by Llewellyn Worldwide. Legacy Of Magick is her first novel.

Visit her website
More about Ellen Dugan...

“Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of the earth.
HENRY DAVID THOREAU”