Start by marking “Cottage Witchery: Natural Magick for Hearth and Home” as Want to Read:
Cottage Witchery: Natural Magick for Hearth and Home

Cottage Witchery: Natural Magick for Hearth and Home

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  873 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Ellen Dugan, the author of "Garden Witchery, " is the ideal guide to show us how to bring the beauty of nature and its magickal energies indoors. Using common household and outdoor items-such as herbs, spices, dried flowers, plants, stones, and candles-she offers a down-to-earth approach to creating an enchanted home.
From specialized spells and charms to kitchen conjuring
Published April 1st 2012 by Llewellyn Publications (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cottage Witchery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cottage Witchery

Brad
I am an advanced practitioner and even I enjoyed this book. It proves that no matter how advanced you are, there is really no need to over complicate manners. This book is full of little nuances, tid bits of info, and the authors personal experiences that the advanced witch can learn from, and a new witch will find invaluable.

For the beginner and intermediate witch this is a must have manual for the magickal home.

For the advanced witch this is a guidebook worth having as a reference in ones lib
I find Ellen Dugan's writing to be straightforward and down-to-earth, both good qualities in someone who writes about garden and cottage magic. Dugan talks about how her own spiritual practices come from a place of deep groundedness and joy, with a side helping of humor thrown in for flavor. Beyond the style of her writing, I find her sample rituals to be practical, if not entirely in my style - I don't speak so much when I do ritual - and she advocates rhyme as a spell-casting tool. Still, I am ...more
G Leigh
Mar 10, 2015 G Leigh rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folk lore aficionados
Recommended to G by: book store owner
I like this book I really do.
But...I have to qualify that statement.

This book is not a guidelines for practicing Wicca. It is not an authoritative voice on practicing kitchen witchery or hearth magic.

That said - This is a good book, if you look at it from a folk lore point of view. Many of the practices he lists are things I remember from my childhood, growing up in the Applachians. My family has strong Germanic and Scotch-Irish roots and followed many superstitions and folk traditions from t
Penelope
I love Ellen Dugan as an author and this book doesn not disappoint. This is a perfect introduction for those interested in Hearth Witchery. I especially loved the sections on Feng Shui and bringing the elements into the home. A very fun read, too.
Corina
Jun 30, 2008 Corina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: witches, kitchen witches, cottage witches
I quite enjoyed this book. Very informative, good clear instructions and the author doesn't try to pump herself up to "superwitch" status. A down to earth book, for witches interested in cottage witchery.
Conor Warren
The book was riddled with inaccuracies, unsubstantiated statements, and unclear sources for associations. Ms.Dugan rarely mentions precisely where she got the particular association from and it hurts her credibility. Look no further than her section about roses and rose associations for evidence of this. Not to mention that she says Hekate is a "Crone" goddess, which couldn't be further from the mythological nature of the goddess! Last time I checked a lithe maiden was not an old woman.

I was re
Astrid
Liked it, some good suggestions to make your home homey feeling. But like the other books, there are lots of spells and incantations and what have you, that are only relevant for practitioners. Still, the author has a way of writing that is very personable, agreeable and makes her and her family sound like you'd like to be their neighbor.
Wanderinggreen
I wanted to like this book but I found it was very similar in information to her other books.
Lillian
I quite liked this book. It was very helpful and informative. I feel like I learned a lot.
Tchipakkan
Not as good as I'd hoped from hearing her speak. Others of her books are better.
Nora Peevy
Cottage Witchery by Ellen Dugan is a nonfiction book about hedgewitchery, which I recently learned is a term for a witch who uses herbs and plants. They're a green witch. This "how-to" book is entertaining, informative, and not at all stuffy. I hate formal Wiccan books that make me snore. Ellen has personality and she's a no-nonsense witch who loves to share her knowledge in an easy to read format. I recommend this book for anyone as an introduction to hedgewitchery.
Kirsten
Conversational voice is usually better than clinical, but she gets a little... lame sometimes. A few eye-rolls here and there. I appreciated that she didn't feel the need to take us through the "history" of witchcraft, but instead just launches into the book. Lots of great crafty ideas in here for the home.
Amber
I adore this book. I've always known that the way you keep your house affects the magickal energy in your home, but this book went a little beyond "Keep your house clean so the energy flows better." It is almost like an interior decorators book for Pagans! And Ellen Dugan's writing style is so fun and honest!
Michelle
Aug 12, 2009 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in nature magick
This book teaches you how to bring the light, energy and beauty of nature and all things natural back into your life and most importantly your home. If you believe in the energy of those things around us you will definitely love this book.
Gina R
Considering all the other books I have read, this one is SUPER basic. You can pretty much figure out all the stuff in this book on your own. the advice given is for people who are not very technical in their practice.
Saleana (Triquetra Reviews)
Lots of amazing ideas for the household.

I can't wait to utilize many of these ideas when the season comes around. This goes season by season so you can have new ideas all year round.

Highly recommend.
Connie Easlick
This is pretty cool! It has some spells to cast, but mostly story form for how you can keep your home in tune with you through use of handy herbs, spices and things already in your home.
Enjoy!
Katie
Quite US-centric and I'm never going to plant any of the plants she mentions, but some really good ideas, encourages you to write your own spells.
Kim
I liked this book. I liked it's simplicity. I did occasionally find it a little too simple but, I much prefer less ritual than more.
William
Pretty much devoid of any usable content.

Disappointing that the author could not do more than this with interesting subjects.
Patricia
A look at simple witchcraft. This book covers herb cunning, foraging for herbs, gardening, and herbal magicks.
Leannear24
i loved this book it was full of interesting ideas, spells and even some funny stories
i would recomend this book
Ruth
This is a fun book to reference... whether you're a witch or Wiccan or not!
Heidi
"Fun, practical, approachable look at Magic."
Kim Cash
Sensible, easy magic for everyday living.
Patti
love the developed ideas that I have just sensed
Ashley
A must have for witchy nesters. :)
Gaynol
Great general plant and herb book.
Wise Witch's Wood...: September 2015 - Cottage Witchery 1 5 Aug 24, 2015 10:00AM
  • Bud, Blossom, & Leaf: The Magical Herb Gardener's Handbook
  • Magical Housekeeping: Simple Charms & Practical Tips for Creating a Harmonious Home
  • The Magical Household: Spells & Rituals for the Home
  • The Real Witches' Garden
  • A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic
  • The Circle Within: Creating a Wiccan Spiritual Tradition
  • The Way of the Green Witch: Rituals, Spells, and Practices to Bring You Back to Nature
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • Beltane: Springtime Rituals, Lore & Celebration
  • Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
  • The Witch in Every Woman: Reawakening the Magical Nature of the Feminine to Heal, Protect, Create, and Empower
  • The Encyclopedia of Magickal Ingredients: A Wiccan Guide to Spellcasting
  • Natural Magic
  • The Inner Temple of Witchcraft: Magick, Meditation and Psychic Development (Temple of Witchcraft, #1)
  • Witch in the Kitchen: Magical Cooking for All Seasons
  • Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic
  • Green Witchcraft: Folk Magic, Fairy Lore & Herb Craft
  • Moon Magick: Myth & Magic, Crafts & Recipes, Rituals & Spells
Ellen Dugan, is the award winning author known as the "Garden Witch". A psychic-clairvoyant, she has been a practicing Witch for over twenty-seven years. She is a Master Gardener, and teaches classes locally and online on Witchery, psychic development, and Magick. She is the author of the 16 non fiction books published by Llewellyn Worldwide. Legacy Of Magick is her first novel.

Visit her website
More about Ellen Dugan...
Natural Witchery: Intuitive, Personal & Practical Magick Garden Witchery: Magick from the Ground Up Autumn Equinox: The Enchantment of Mabon Garden Witch's Herbal: Green Magick, Herbalism & Spirituality Book of Witchery: Spells, Charms & Correspondences for Every Day of the Week