Start by marking “Cottage Witchery: Natural Magick for Hearth and Home” as Want to Read:
Cottage Witchery: Natural Magick for Hearth and Home

Cottage Witchery: Natural Magick for Hearth and Home

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  757 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Ellen Dugan, the author of "Garden Witchery, " is the ideal guide to show us how to bring the beauty of nature and its magickal energies indoors. Using common household and outdoor items-such as herbs, spices, dried flowers, plants, stones, and candles-she offers a down-to-earth approach to creating an enchanted home.
From specialized spells and charms to kitchen conjuring
Published April 1st 2012 by Llewellyn Publications (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cottage Witchery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cottage Witchery

Brad Byers
I am an advanced practitioner and even I enjoyed this book. It proves that no matter how advanced you are, there is really no need to over complicate manners. This book is full of little nuances, tid bits of info, and the authors personal experiences that the advanced witch can learn from, and a new witch will find invaluable.

For the beginner and intermediate witch this is a must have manual for the magickal home.

For the advanced witch this is a guidebook worth having as a reference in ones lib
I find Ellen Dugan's writing to be straightforward and down-to-earth, both good qualities in someone who writes about garden and cottage magic. Dugan talks about how her own spiritual practices come from a place of deep groundedness and joy, with a side helping of humor thrown in for flavor. Beyond the style of her writing, I find her sample rituals to be practical, if not entirely in my style - I don't speak so much when I do ritual - and she advocates rhyme as a spell-casting tool. Still, I am ...more
Penelope
I love Ellen Dugan as an author and this book doesn not disappoint. This is a perfect introduction for those interested in Hearth Witchery. I especially loved the sections on Feng Shui and bringing the elements into the home. A very fun read, too.
Corina
Jun 30, 2008 Corina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: witches, kitchen witches, cottage witches
I quite enjoyed this book. Very informative, good clear instructions and the author doesn't try to pump herself up to "superwitch" status. A down to earth book, for witches interested in cottage witchery.
Conor Warren
The book was riddled with inaccuracies, unsubstantiated statements, and unclear sources for associations. Ms.Dugan rarely mentions precisely where she got the particular association from and it hurts her credibility. Look no further than her section about roses and rose associations for evidence of this. Not to mention that she says Hekate is a "Crone" goddess, which couldn't be further from the mythological nature of the goddess! Last time I checked a lithe maiden was not an old woman.

I was re
Astrid
Liked it, some good suggestions to make your home homey feeling. But like the other books, there are lots of spells and incantations and what have you, that are only relevant for practitioners. Still, the author has a way of writing that is very personable, agreeable and makes her and her family sound like you'd like to be their neighbor.
Lillian
I quite liked this book. It was very helpful and informative. I feel like I learned a lot.
Tchipakkan
Not as good as I'd hoped from hearing her speak. Others of her books are better.
Nora Peevy
Cottage Witchery by Ellen Dugan is a nonfiction book about hedgewitchery, which I recently learned is a term for a witch who uses herbs and plants. They're a green witch. This "how-to" book is entertaining, informative, and not at all stuffy. I hate formal Wiccan books that make me snore. Ellen has personality and she's a no-nonsense witch who loves to share her knowledge in an easy to read format. I recommend this book for anyone as an introduction to hedgewitchery.
Olivia Gourlay
This book is great for neopagans who wish to practise their faith in secret. Especially teenagers who want to do witchcraft without their parents knowing. The rituals and spells just look like oridinary cooking and gardening. After I read this book I can worship the goddess and god without people getting suspicious. To learn more about the goddess go on www.yoni.com
Kirsten
Conversational voice is usually better than clinical, but she gets a little... lame sometimes. A few eye-rolls here and there. I appreciated that she didn't feel the need to take us through the "history" of witchcraft, but instead just launches into the book. Lots of great crafty ideas in here for the home.
Amber
I adore this book. I've always known that the way you keep your house affects the magickal energy in your home, but this book went a little beyond "Keep your house clean so the energy flows better." It is almost like an interior decorators book for Pagans! And Ellen Dugan's writing style is so fun and honest!
Michelle
Aug 12, 2009 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in nature magick
This book teaches you how to bring the light, energy and beauty of nature and all things natural back into your life and most importantly your home. If you believe in the energy of those things around us you will definitely love this book.
Gina R
Considering all the other books I have read, this one is SUPER basic. You can pretty much figure out all the stuff in this book on your own. the advice given is for people who are not very technical in their practice.
Saleana (Triquetra Reviews)
Lots of amazing ideas for the household.

I can't wait to utilize many of these ideas when the season comes around. This goes season by season so you can have new ideas all year round.

Highly recommend.
Connie Easlick
This is pretty cool! It has some spells to cast, but mostly story form for how you can keep your home in tune with you through use of handy herbs, spices and things already in your home.
Enjoy!
Katie
Quite US-centric and I'm never going to plant any of the plants she mentions, but some really good ideas, encourages you to write your own spells.
Kim
I liked this book. I liked it's simplicity. I did occasionally find it a little too simple but, I much prefer less ritual than more.
William
Pretty much devoid of any usable content.

Disappointing that the author could not do more than this with interesting subjects.
Patricia
A look at simple witchcraft. This book covers herb cunning, foraging for herbs, gardening, and herbal magicks.
Leannear24
i loved this book it was full of interesting ideas, spells and even some funny stories
i would recomend this book
Ruth
This is a fun book to reference... whether you're a witch or Wiccan or not!
Heidi
"Fun, practical, approachable look at Magic."
Kim Cash
Sensible, easy magic for everyday living.
Patti
love the developed ideas that I have just sensed
Ashley
A must have for witchy nesters. :)
Gaynol
Great general plant and herb book.
  • Bud, Blossom, & Leaf: The Magical Herb Gardener's Handbook
  • Magical Housekeeping: Simple Charms & Practical Tips for Creating a Harmonious Home
  • The Magical Household: Spells & Rituals for the Home
  • The Real Witches' Garden
  • A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic
  • The Encyclopedia of Magickal Ingredients: A Wiccan Guide to Spellcasting
  • The Way of the Hedge Witch: Rituals and Spells for Hearth and Home
  • The Circle Within: Creating a Wiccan Spiritual Tradition
  • The Inner Temple of Witchcraft: Magick, Meditation and Psychic Development (Temple of Witchcraft, #1)
  • Natural Magic
  • Beltane: Springtime Rituals, Lore & Celebration
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
  • Sabbats: A Witch's Approach to Living the Old Ways
  • Green Witchcraft: Folk Magic, Fairy Lore & Herb Craft
  • The Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle
Ellen Dugan, the "Garden Witch," has been a psychic-clairvoyant and a practicing Witch for over twenty years. She is a Master Gardener and teaches classes on flower folklore and gardening at a community college. She is also a regular contributor to Llewellyn's Almanacs, datebooks, and calendars, and is the author of Garden Witchery: Magick from the Ground Up; Elements of Witchcraft; Natural Magick ...more
More about Ellen Dugan...
Natural Witchery: Intuitive, Personal & Practical Magick Garden Witchery: Magick from the Ground Up Autumn Equinox: The Enchantment of Mabon Garden Witch's Herbal: Green Magick, Herbalism & Spirituality The Enchanted Cat: Feline Fascinations, Spells & Magick