Start by marking “Diabetes for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Diabetes for Dummies

Lesley Campbell

Diabetes for Dummies (For Dummies)

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  323 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Your essential guide to managing diabetes successfully and living a full lifeDon't just survive - thrive! "Diabetes For Dummies," 3rd Australian edition, brings you right up to date with the latest research, treatment and management approaches for all types of diabetes. This book is essential reading whether you have diabetes yourself or are supporting a friend or relative ...more
Published May 18th 2011 by For Dummies (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Diabetes for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diabetes for Dummies

Iona  Stewart
This is the second worst book on diabetes I've read. (I see that the worst book has got good reviews on amazon.com, and is not available on amazon.co.uk. I myself have reviewed it on Facebook.)

After much consideration I've given the book presently under review two stars (at first I wanted to give it only one). It gets the two stars for the vast amount of medical information given, though as it is written by two traditional doctors, this is traditional information, much of it in my view erroneous
Kimberlee
Jan 25, 2013 Kimberlee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband was diagnosed about a month and a half ago. I was aware of a family history of diabetes, but I did not realize that this disease would visit us this young (we are in our mid-40s). This book was an excellent introduction to all things diabetes. The author's humor at times gets old, but if the reader can overlook that, it's a worthy read, especially for those impacted by diabetes. I bought another copy to share with one of my relatives who has diabetes. I was able to share with my child ...more
Stephanie
Mar 30, 2016 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
This review is for the 4th edition (Published 2012). I think this is a GREAT book for someone newly diagnosed with diabetes and/or their clueless family members. This is a summary in plain language for you to understand the ins and outs of your illness and what you can do about it. It is not the be all and end all. I like the organization of the book - you can go to what interests you immediately and if you ever get around to the other sections, great. If not, there is an appendix in the back th ...more
Jeff
Feb 23, 2016 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Diabetes has been around for a long time and was known to those in the Greek and Roman worlds. The Latin name for the disease is diabetes mellitus. Diabetes comes from the Greek word for siphon, referring to the way that liquid gets quickly siphoned through your body when you suffer from high sugar levels (the excess sugar causes the kidneys to quickly expel the water through the urine, as it tries to reduce the sugar levels in your blood). Mellitus is the Latin word for sweet. In the ancient wo ...more
Rich
Jul 29, 2009 Rich rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a book I read because I wanted to, but because I needed to. Found out I was pre-diabetic and hadn't a clue what any of that meant. The information in the book was accessible, at a level I could understand without needing prior knowledge, and helped give me some idea of what next steps I should look into taking.
A great launching point if you or someone you know wants an introduction to diabetes.
Mike
Aug 25, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome up to date reference if you have diabetes - or even if you don't. With the huge increase in diabetes cases. Around the world, you can prevent or slow down systems in your self or understand what's going on when a loved one or friend is diagnosed. Reading this book helped me so much!
Angel
I don't really know if this is a good book or not. As a person whom does not know a thing about diabetes I can say that it brought light to me. I think it gives basic knowledge, good enough to start taking care of myself.
Malia
Jan 05, 2014 Malia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really great tips of all kinds in this book. As just one example, this was the first place I've seen an explanation for how soon to exercise after eating (for blood sugar)! A must read for diabetics and pre-diabetics!
Helen Ingram
Feb 25, 2014 Helen Ingram rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice introduction to diabetes. Not a book to read page by page. It has pin pointers for the newly diagnosed person to take note.
Mark Warren
Insufficient

Insufficient

The information in this book is problematic: the information may be outdated although I can't be certain of that; but I found the information to be inadequate. The difference between Type I and Type II diabetes leaves a lot of muddy or grey area. The information is better than nothing but I would consult a variety of sources for more information. A dietician may lean towards a more food related instruction; a physician may focus more on pills and insulin instruction -- pr
Manuel Crespo-Rodríguez
If you don't know anything about diabetes, this is a good way to start. Although I don't like the first chapter (ir supposes that all people believe they are eternal and need to cope with the reality of not living forever... while in fact I'm not an egocentric religious individual that believes to be immortal and don't care to die of whatever reason). This is mostly the basics, everything that your medic will tell you over time.

All in all, the book says that diabetes is kinda bad, but if you fol
Llothil
It was probably an informative book that is the best for someone who is not personally diagnosed with diabetes and knows nothing about it. If you have been diagnosed with it I think that it lacks a bunch of information and isn't particularly reliably up to date with the most recent medical opinions regarding such illnesses, but that being said if you know someone or have a family member that has recently been diagnosed and need to get to know the basics about it then this is the book for you.
Lynne Blair
Dec 25, 2015 Lynne Blair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is so much information out there about diabetes that it is sometimes difficult to what applies to you and what doesn't. This book breaks everything down into usable, easy to understand information. I highly recommend it to anybody who is newly diagnosed.
Budd Turner
Mandatory reading for a surprise diagnosis
Doc Kinne
As with all Dummies books this was a good introduction to the topic. It was broad and complete. I think my own issue is that the drug overview chapters caused me to get a big glassy-eyed.
Jim
Sep 05, 2015 Jim marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: san-marcos
Recommended by Delno
Jim
Feb 16, 2013 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I learned a few things from this book, but not a lot. My father is a type 2 diabetic, so I had already learned much of the content, from his experience. It is probably a good book for someone with no previous knowledge of diabetes.
Bradley
Jul 16, 2012 Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick and handy reference book forr people who have been diagnosed with Type 1or 2 diabetes. I found it really helpful because it answered several questions I had wondered about after meeting with a dietician.
Parsons Parsons
May 21, 2013 Parsons Parsons rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
This book gives the reader the basics on this condition. The information is understandable. It does concisely debunk medical myths about diabetes treatment. I wish the book would do the exercising for me.
Joey Taylor
Feb 13, 2014 Joey Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Informative!
Braden
Sep 20, 2009 Braden marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book because i didnt know anything about diabetes now i do.it shows how important diabetes is. It gives you good ways on how to moniter your diabetes.
Julie
Apr 12, 2011 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately, I knew everything in it. It is the same stuff rehashed over and over again. I would have been better off just sticking with Google.
TailFeather
Aug 27, 2012 TailFeather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pure-drivel
I agree with Iona. If we followed this book, my husband would be in the ER with high sugar glucose.
Sandy thyer
Oct 05, 2010 Sandy thyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative but I wanted more nutritional info. I'm sure it's out there somewhere.
Scott Gillespie
Not particularly exciting but reading this has helped me to help my mom.
Patrice
May 12, 2016 Patrice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clear, easy to read, well organized info on diabetes management.
Luna
Mar 11, 2009 Luna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Helpful and easy to read. Just what it says, "for dummies." :)
Anna
May 11, 2009 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was informative, but not as helpful as I had wished.
Donnelle
A good place to start for a new diabetic.
T.
Dec 15, 2008 T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informational.
  • Blood Sugar 101: What They Don't Tell You about Diabetes
  • The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed
  • American Diabetes Association Complete Guide to Diabetes
  • Dr. Neal Barnard's Book for Reversing Diabetes: The Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes Without Drugs
  • Backyard Guide to the Night Sky
  • Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin
  • Conspiracy Theories & Secret Societies for Dummies
  • Diabetes Rising: How a Rare Disease Became a Modern Pandemic, and What to Do About It
  • The World's Last Mysteries
  • Knickers in a Twist: A Dictionary of British Slang
  • Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science
  • Criminology For Dummies
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Philosophy
  • Bigfoot!: The True Story of Apes in America
  • The Bedside Baccalaureate: A Handy Daily Cerebral Primer to Fill in the Gaps, Refresh Your Knowledge & Impress Yourself & Other Intellectuals
  • Chicago Haunts: Ghostly Lore of the Windy City
  • The Perfect 10 Diet
  • The Simpsons Beyond Forever A Complete Guide to Our Favourite Family...Still Continued

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 79 books)
  • A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies
  • Mythology for Dummies
  • Accounting for Dummies
  • Scrivener For Dummies
  • Judaism for Dummies

“os griegos y los romanos conocían la diabetes. Para determinar si
alguien tenía el padecimiento —prepárense para esto— probaban la
orina. Fue así como los romanos descubrieron que la orina de algunas
personas era mellitus, palabra latina que significa dulce.”
0 likes
“Examining Type 2 Diabetes Most people with type 2 diabetes, which used to be known as adult onset diabetes or noninsulin dependent diabetes, are over the age of 40. Your chances of getting type 2 diabetes increase as you get older. Because the symptoms are so mild at first, you may not notice them. You may ignore these symptoms for years before they become bothersome enough to consult your doctor. So type 2 diabetes is a disease of gradual onset rather than the severe emergency that can herald type 1 diabetes. No autoimmunity is involved in type 2 diabetes, so no antibodies are found. Doctors believe that no virus is involved in the onset of type 2 diabetes. Recent statistics show that worldwide, ten times more people have type 2 diabetes than type 1 diabetes. Although type 2 is the much more prevalent type of diabetes, those with type 2 diabetes seem to have milder severity of complications (such as eye disease and kidney disease) from diabetes. Identifying” 0 likes