Adversary

Adversary (Saga of the Pliocene Exile #4)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  2,936 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The fourth and culminating volume in Julian May's dazzling quartet of science-fiction novels brings to a climax the struggle for the Many-Colored Land--the Earth six million years ago--and completes the series that has become an international best-seller and multiple award nominee. Human time-travelers from the sophisticated Galactic Milieu of the twenty-second century cam...more
Published April 15th 1984 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH) (first published January 1st 1984)

Chak
I enjoyed this book, and thought the Pliocene Series was wonderful overall, but I definitely thought this book was the weakest of the four. In addition to losing so many interesting characters, I really wanted the book to end a different way. In fact, I had the ending I wanted to read all worked out in my head half-way through the second book (The Golden Torc), based on something early on in the first book (The Many-Coloured Land).

KIND OF A SPOILER BELOW......

KIND OF A SPOILER BELOW......

KIND O...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in October 1998.

In the final book of the Saga of the Exiles series, the rebel metapsychic Marc Remeillard plays a large part; the title of the novel itself is one of his nicknames. His children, and the others of their generation, inhabiting the small settlement set up by the rebels, have gone to Europe, with the intention of setting up a copy of the time gate at the Pleistocene end so that they can return to the future. They were too young to have been invol...more
Sharon Reamer
The overall series deserves four stars, even though I've given the third and fourth book three stars. I enjoyed the continuity, the exquisite world-building, enhanced by the cool geological descriptions. The detail of the survival of the humans in the Pliocene and their various trades and specialties was also rendered more than believable. I sometimes felt I was there, with them, in the Pliocene Exile.

However, the telepathic powers plot device overshadowed all of the good things, pushing my ove...more
Andreas
The scope of this saga spanning eight novels is staggering. A gate is opened to the past, specifically the Pliocene era. But it is a one-way trip. Adventurous souls travel back, and find a world unlike any they could imagine. Epic conflict rages between ancient races, and the future destiny of man is decided. The initial four books make up The Saga of Pliocene Exile.

* The Many-Coloured Land
* The Golden Torc
* The Nonborn King
* The Adversary

These can be read as a standalone series, but who wou...more
Jim
(view spoiler)...more
Timothy Boyd
An OK ending to the series. I had really hoped for more from this series knowing the reviews it gets. The entire series has great ideas and plots but they seem to just go up to a point and never achieve their potential. Not alot of action throughout and that makes the story sometimes drag. A nice blend of SiFi and Fantasy and tons of reference to Irish myth. Recommended
Graham
Oh, I am so pleased I didn't chuck these books out. The Marc Remillard - Elizabeth - Aiken - Creyn relationships were written fantastically, the tension between Marc and Cloud and Hagan provided an interesting backdrop to the rebuilding of the Guderian device, the urbane calmness of Basil, the anachronistic Native American charm of Burke, the tragic love story of Tony Wayland and Rowane (well, I say tragic....), magic, science, language (where did Julian May get Anatoly's phrases from)
A rollicki...more
Dark-Draco
Everything comes to a head in this book. Aiken is consolidating his power as King, bringing together the Howlers, Lowlives and surviving Tanu. The Firvulag are keen to bring about the Nightfall war, but on their own terms, and the North American 'children' only want to return to the future. But Marc is a threat to them all and with powerful machines on his side, he may get exactly what he wants. This is the last book in the Saga and almost as enjoyable as the others. I was slightly let down by...more
Ward Bond
Product Description

The fourth and final volume of The Saga of Pliocene Exile.
Until the arrival of Aiken Drum, the 100,000 humans who had fled backward in time to Pliocene exile on Earth knew little but slavery to the Tanu -- the humanoid aliens who came from another galaxy. But King Aiken's rule is precarious, for the Tanu's twisted bretheren are secretly maneuvering to bring about his downfall. Worse -- Aiken is about to confront a man of incredibly powerful Talents who nearly overthrew a gal

Alan Denham
This is the fourth in the Saga of the Exiles. Do not try to read them out of order! The whole saga is an enormous work, four large volumes, and there are four more that form a sequel (The Intervention).

It would not be appropriate to review this separately (without inserting spoilers) so I shall refrain. Since it is essential that readers start with volume 1, go read my review of volume 1 here. Enjoy!
Dev
Simply the best space opera, and the best series of novels I've ever read. This is the first of the nine, and while the last three show signs of fatigue, these novels capture a cast of characters, and one in Marc Remillard, that are truly memorable. From the worlds and milieu May imagines to her evocative themes, the novels capture humanity with all its foibles and promise, and if you stick around for #6, you'll get the best plot twist in all of bookdom.
CD
The book almost fails as a story with the tie-in to the Intervention/Remillard Family Chronicles with the appearance of Marc.

May is juggling several themes and several get away from him and I have always felt that this book leaves the reader in an unfinished place.

I am a huge fan of a handful of Julian Mays works . . . this is not one that I find anywhere near as satisfying as an engrossing tale nor as as good read.
Mike
Very good writing, I wish I'd started with the first book in the series not long after I started, but I couldn't put it down. The characters really grow on you, the storyline is very nicely handled, and the author uses enough words I didn't know that I got into the habit of writing them down so I could look them up. This is a very interesting and imaginative story.
Ann Thomas
Re-read all these books every few years with great pleasure. Marc Remillard, who led the great rebellion in the future and escaped through the portal, fights his children and Aiken Drum to try to prevent the building of a time portal back to the future. (The story of Marc Remillard and his family is told in the Great Milieu series)
Linda
I read this years ago when it was first published. After that, I would wait avidly for the next to arrive at the local bookshop. These books made an impact somehow. I sold them at a garage sale in the '90's then re-bought the set recently. Fantasy + science fiction + metas + in depth character development = excellent read.
Mary
i liked this series, but the last book was the least interesting. (i almost always like endings the least.) the whole marc-mental-man story line wasn't necessary; it would have been more fun to stick with the other characters. maybe it was put in because it i really part of another series, but i didn't need it here.
Kallierose
This series is amazing. The writer's canvas is huge - there are so many plots and so many characters, but I was never confused about who was doing what. Their plotting and machinations are as intricate as those at any royal court, and the double-crosses abound.
Michael
I read most of this one, but my interest seriously flagged. I did not like the character Aiken Drum. Of all the characters in the saga, he is the most obnoxious and overblown. Frankly, I think that the Pleistocene Saga should have been a trilogy.
Yorkshiresoul
Although I love this series, the last book in the quartet doesn't pack the punch that the earlier books do. Perhaps some of the plot of this book should have been subsumed into the previous books making for a slightly longer trilogy.

Ria
A great conclusion, a sweeping epic that introduces a new theme in the saga that leads on nicely and is very open ended for the next series.
A clever story blending a mix of fantasy and sci fi.
Nadine May
Of all her books this one was the most difficult to get into. Too many characters and too often the backdrop of the story changed. I finished it but only at the very end did the story come together.
AndrewP
The conclusion of the Piocene Exiles saga. A great series of book by this very underrated author.

As usual my rating of the final book reflects my enjoyment of the series overall.
Lindsay
Good conclusion to this series, although there are still a lot of unanswered questions. There are some very interesting characters in this series, and it is fast paced throughout.
John
This book is the worst of the Saga which is a shame as the author
has more mind bending ideas per page than most get out in a book.

As for the Saga i give it a five and well worth a read.
Neal Schlegel
magnificent I had hoped that obscene midget would get his come upance courtesy of Abbadan but it was not to be it was a very good ending or is it the begining wink wink
Idoru
This is the fourth book in a series that I've just reread. An excellent, well-written series that manages to avoid the cliches and paradoxes of most time-travel tales.
Joy

2011 reading: It's been such a pleasure to spend time in this universe again.
AmbushPredator
Superlative ending, and the prologue promises that the ride ain't over just yet!
Gareth Jones
Entirely my favorite book series. I've reread more times than I care to admit.
Fatbaldguy60
Good series that gives a lot more background to the prior series.
  • The Gap Into Ruin: This Day All Gods Die (Gap, #5)
  • Araminta Station (Cadwal Chronicles, #1)
  • Children of the Lens (Lensman, #6)
  • The Legacy of Heorot (Heorot #1)
  • Charon: A Dragon at the Gate (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #3)
  • The Neutronium Alchemist 2: Conflict (Night's Dawn 2)
  • The White Mountain (Chung Kuo, #3)
  • Kirlian Quest (Cluster, #3)
  • The Wild (A Requiem For Homo Sapiens, #2)
  • Swords of the Horseclans (Horseclans, #2)
  • The Rebirth (Cyteen, #2)
  • Ash: A Secret History (Book of Ash, #1-4)
  • The Northern Girl (Chronicles of Tornor, #3)
Pseudonym Ian Thorne, J.C. May, Lee N. Falconer.
More about Julian May...
The Many-Coloured Land (Saga of Pliocene Exile, #1) The Golden Torc (Saga of the Pliocene Exile, #2) The Nonborn King (Saga of the Pliocene Exile, #3) Jack the Bodiless Diamond Mask (Galactic Milieu Trilogy, #2)