Start by marking “Russian Stories/Русские Рассказы: A Dual-Language Book” as Want to Read:
Russian Stories/Русские Рассказы: A Dual-Language Book

Russian Stories/Русские Рассказы: A Dual-Language Book

Twelve superb tales by Chekhov, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Pushkin, Bunin, other masters. Excellent word-for-word English translations on facing pages. Also teaching and practice aids, Russian-English vocabulary, biographical/critical introductions to each selection, study questions, more. Especially helpful are the stress accents in the Russian text, usually found only in prime ...more
Published February 1st 1990 by Dover Publications (first published 1961)

Jul 20, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-classics
Мне очень нравится эта книга. К сожалению, Я не понимаю много на русском языке (но Я учусь!), но Я любила читать рассказы на английском языке.

I absolutely loved this book. Short stories by Pushkin, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Chekhov, Gogol, and many others appear in the original Russian with English translations on the opposite page. There is a small introduction before each story, giving a brief background of the author and where he fits within the history of Russian literature. I enjoyed reading eac
Joe
Sep 07, 2009 Joe rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: russian students
I highly reccomend this for students of the Russian language (especially if you're out of college and can't take classes on russian lit). The dual-language aspect of the book is helpful and it is easy to find the english translation of the russian text (it's usually on the same line of the opposite page).
This book ranges from 18th century literature to early 20th century and varies greatly in difficulty (which is good).
I'd start by reading Chekhov's "Sleepy" and Tolstoy's "Three Hermits" because
Marie Bouteille
May 06, 2016 Marie Bouteille rated it really liked it
Un livre qui m'a permis de découvrir des auteurs russes et des textes d'auteurs russes que je connaissais mais dont les nouvelles sont différentes de ce que l'on lit d'habitude d'eux, tout en pratiquant le russe. Le seul reproche serait que les oeuvres sont justement sélectionnées pour leur valeur littéraire (ce qui n'est pas mauvais en soi) mais j'aimerais trouver des textes sélectionnés d'avantage pour l'apprentissage de la langue. Sur des oeuvres comme celles qui sont présentées, le vocabulai ...more
Lysmerry
Oct 22, 2011 Lysmerry rated it really liked it
Immensely helpful for a beginning Russian student. I was amazed at what I could understand with the help of this book. The stories included are excellent choices, interesting enough to be worth the struggle of parsing the language.
Barrett
Mar 01, 2011 Barrett is currently reading it
Shelves: fiction-russian
02/28: finally finished the first story! Pushkin's Stationmaster.
Nov 26, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 19th-century Russians aren't generally known for their short stories, and I think that's reasonable. The stories weren't bad, but I think these authors play better in longform. The stories had a sameness that revolved around a structure like "Crazy thing X happened...let's go into some details...well, what do you know, sometimes these things happen! That's life here in 19th-century Russia."

The dual-language format is pretty cool, and I wonder why there aren't more books like this. It seems l
Rosemarie Short
Mar 27, 2013 Rosemarie Short rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a really great workbook. I used it to become more familiar with the Russian alphabet by just sitting with a written out copy of Cryllic I'd drawn up myself (symbol - letter - phonetic sound) and worked through a paragraph at a time. With progression in the language you can move from translating just from Cryllic to phonetic Russian and take the next step into English. Great investment for those serious about learning.
Danelle
Nov 16, 2015 Danelle rated it really liked it
я люблю эту книгу много. :) я не знаю много слов, но могу учиться русском языке через слов по английскому. я думал что эту расскажу просто чудесный. моя любимая, "в плену".
Jr
Jan 19, 2013 Jr rated it really liked it
Shelves: russian-lit
This book is how I read Pushkin, in Russian, in Russia.
motobass4321
Jul 03, 2016 motobass4321 rated it really liked it
Shelves: b2c-2016
I read this book for the 2016 Back to the Classics challenge in the collected short stories category.

It is a dual-language book, the Russian on the left, the translation on the right. Twelve stories from twelve authors, many of them famous in their own right. I recommend this book to those who may be curious about the different authors and want to get an idea of their styles. I did not enjoy the Zemyatin story much, though it was plenty to think about; perhaps too much symbolists influence, and
Constance
Apr 30, 2016 Constance rated it really liked it
Gleb Struve has compiled quite an assortment of Russian literature in "Russian Stories - Русские рассказы" - A Dual Language Book. Anyone who is sincere about exploring Russian history and language will enjoy hours and hours of side by side Russian - English. Readers - beware the idiosyncrasies of returning to single language books!

Thank You to Dover Publications!

Глеб Струве составил целый ассортимент русской литературы в "русских Истории - Russian Stories" - Двойственную Язык Книги. Тот, кто и
keren
Aug 12, 2016 keren rated it really liked it
found this for super cheap in some weird bookstore. wld recommend.

3/5 for the stories and 5/5 for functionality I guess?? bc it's vvv useful if ur tryna learn Russian
Abhishek Srivastva
how to read the book...m only able to add it shelvs
thoai
thoai marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Barbara Puller
Barbara Puller marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Neurovibes
Neurovibes marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Roman
Roman marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Jolien
Jolien marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Carrie
Carrie rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Chey
Chey marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Eilish Hart
Eilish Hart rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Tatyana
Tatyana is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2016
Bablu
Bablu marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Chaitralie Parate
Chaitralie Parate marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016