Start by marking “The New Penguin Russian Course” as Want to Read:
The New Penguin Russian Course

The New Penguin Russian Course

Whether you’re learning alone or attending classes, you’ll find this complete Russian language course for beginners both accessible and indispensable. Designed to provide the student with an excellent command of basic Russian (the equivalent of A’ level standard) the book features thirty lessons punctuated by revision exercises to ensure you have fully understood what you ...more
Published March 28th 1996 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The New Penguin Russian Course, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Penguin Russian Course

Rosemarie Short
Mar 26, 2013 Rosemarie Short rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is very useful, I found especially when teamed with the Michel Thomas Total Russian Language Program. That will take care of your pronunciation which this guide will help you relate to seeing Russian words on the page. Highly recommended.
Jonah
Aug 05, 2013 Jonah rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, languages
This book would be even better of it came with an audio cd. Intonation is a big part of any language, and while the author does put accent marks on the words, it is very annoying not to hear them. It's a bit of a pain to type in all the words you have trouble with on google translate.
He does explain things very well, although I have experienced confusion on numerous occasions due to his wording. And the binding could be A LOT better.
In either case, Russian is a beautiful language and this auth
Adam
Jan 28, 2008 Adam rated it really liked it
Sometimes this book gets a little advanced a little fast, especially toward the end. But it's has the best explanation of Russian grammar of any one-volume textbook. The "Teach Yourself Russian" book isn't nearly as good in terms of exercises or methodology, and you'd really have to buy the "Teach Yourself Russian Grammar" supplement to match Penguin's breadth of grammatical instruction.
Noah Stacy
Jan 28, 2009 Noah Stacy marked it as to-read
Shelves: nonfiction
Я не изучю русский язык сейчас. Off the 'currently-reading' shelf until I can get back to it, after the bar exam.
Azzageddi
May 05, 2014 Azzageddi rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Very exhaustive, at least for someone up to the beginner intermediate level--so exhaustive that I'm going to have to re-read it in order to absorb it all. Highly recommend it.
Alan Duncan
Apr 19, 2016 Alan Duncan rated it liked it
Like it's predecessor (the old Penguin Russian Course) that I read in the 1980's this has a strong grammar-centric approach. Unlike that book it's much more dense and progresses at a far greater pace. I do appreciate some areas where it seems to take itself less seriously than the previous edition of this book. For example, the author sprinkles tips about what learning items can be deferred for later, etc. The vocabulary lists that accompany each chapter are very long relative to other similar b ...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1197225.html[return][return]I think it is not a bad course. It alerted me to a number of tricky exceptions to the general rules which my previous textbook had rather glossed over (eg the irregular prepositional 2 @K<C, 'in the Crimea'). But I would have needed regular human lessons as well to get me through to the end, so I'm leaving it here, and switching to a quite different Indo-European language.
E. H.
Although this is a good course, I find it necessary to use it along with another course as for each point that is explained clearly and concisely, there are some points that I feel it doesn't cover thoroughly enough or are better explained elsewhere. The exercises at the end of each chapter are very good, although I think perhaps there aren't enough of them..
Kristie
Nov 12, 2013 Kristie rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, language
Excellent book for leaning Russian grammar! Very clear explanations and well ordered. it doesn't get 5 stars because in my opinion there are not enough exercises to really practice well, and also because there is no audio component, without which listening and speaking is impossible to master.
Mike
Nov 08, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
Self-studying Russian as a previous student of other slavic languages (usually it's the other way around), I found this book to be the most accessible and focused of textbooks available on the subject.
Gemma Camilleri
Mar 22, 2015 Gemma Camilleri rated it liked it
Probably the best possible grammar book to exist for learning Russian. It does however get a little too advanced too quickly towards the end-half of the book.
Malene
Sep 21, 2011 Malene rated it liked it
If you have no knowledge of languages already, then this is not a good book for a beginner. I know several languages already, but this book was still hard to understand.
Imogen
Imogen rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Anthuan
Anthuan rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
R. Geivett
R. Geivett rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2008
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2015
Kathryne
Kathryne rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2015
Adam Jacques
Adam Jacques rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Sheldon Natowsky
Sheldon Natowsky rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Marykay
Marykay rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2014
Ben O'mara
Ben O'mara rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2013
Suzy
Suzy rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Brendan
Brendan rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2010
Shaun
Shaun rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Helena
Helena rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Clayton
Clayton rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2011
Gregory Rubin
Gregory Rubin rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2013
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2015
Matthew Conlon
Matthew Conlon rated it did not like it
Jul 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • 501 Russian Verbs
  • Russian Stories/Русские Рассказы: A Dual-Language Book
  • Becoming a Translator: An Introduction to the Theory and Practice of Translation
  • Teach Yourself Sanskrit
  • Hammer's German Grammar and Usage
  • An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon
  • Collins-Robert French-English, English-French Dictionary =: Robert-Collins Dictionnaire Francais-Anglais, Anglais-Francais
  • Dirty French: Everyday Slang from "What's Up?" to "F*%# Off!"
  • The Portable Twentieth-Century Russian Reader