Start by marking “Speed Reading for Dummies” as Want to Read:

Richard Sutz
Preview

Speed Reading for Dummies

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The fun and easy way to become a more efficient, effective reader!Want to read faster -- and recall more of what you read? This practical, hands-on guide gives you the techniques you need to increase your reading speed and retention, whether you're reading books, e-mails, magazines, or even technical journals! You'll find reading aids and plenty of exercises to help you re ...more
Published July 28th 2009 by For Dummies

To ask other readers questions about Speed Reading for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speed Reading for Dummies

Armand
The author forgot to include the word count of the stories, which is a large factor of calculating your reading rate. Unless you want to individually count every word, I'd suggest going with a different speed reading book. Great ideas, just a huge blunder.
Sam Stone
Dec 05, 2011 Sam Stone is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Man this book is taking me forever!
¤Leila | The Fiction Pixie¤
As a slow reader, I have been distraught over the pace of my reading. With limited time in a busy life, I picked this book up hoping to achieve more reading progress in a smaller amount of time. This book has some brilliant techniques and stretched the periphreial vision of your eyes to take in more words in a single glace. It trains your eyes and gives your focus an intense workout. But generally this book is incomplete. A major focus of this book is your WPM reading skills. Almost every exceri ...more
J.J. Rodeo
This book had only three useful advice for me; 1- Don't pronounce the words inside your head; 2- try to read more words in a single glance; 3- expand your vocabulary.
The rest of it was evident information and useless exercises.
Chris Miller
Good introduction to the concept of speed reading.
Janne Järvinen
A very good source of information on speed reading and reading in general. All the concepts are explained very clearly, and are easy to pick up. This is probably one of the most user-friendly guides on the subject.

The actual exercises are flawed, though. There are many points where you are asked to calculate words-per-minute for texts without knowing the word count. There are also many many points where I could answer most of the comprehension questions even without reading the text at all.

So, i
Tom
It was an interesting concept, but It didn't help me read any faster.
Jia Yuan
Simple and easy to follow techniques are taught in this book. Guidance is provided for, one will have to practice to attain this skill :)

I liked how we are taught to break lines into imaginary columns and read these columns as word clumps/groups.
Ariadna73
It is not a total waste of time. Has some interesting exercises; and good advice on how to fish for information. The only thing I didn't enjoy is that -having read an electronic version- it was difficult for me to follow the exercises.
Tasneem
DNF at 180\274 page
I think book is not that useful for helping me to increase my writing speed
I don`t think that I will finish it or may I will but not in the near future
Mohamed Helmy
A simplified book about the commonest techniques of spped reading, I haven't mastered all of the techniques to be a real speed reader, but the book was useful anyway.
Jefferson F
This is a quick read.... lol. Great book if you feel the need to increase your reading comprehension and reading speed.
André Bueno
Chapter 10 really is the most important chapter in my opinion. Those twenty pages made the whole book worth it.
Badr Al Badr
An important skill to revive. The book seemed too wordy but very helpful for beginners.
Xavier
1.) Stop subvocalisation and regression. 2.) A bigger vocabulary and practice helps.
Miguel Vargas
This is an amazing book. I hope it helps me to be a good-reader.
Kelly
It's quite helpful but it takes time to become an advanced readers:)
Rese
Nothing I didn't already know about speed reading.
Muhammad Hammouda
Muhammad Hammouda marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Pras
Pras marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Rasul Kireev
Rasul Kireev is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2015
Jon Gunzel
Jon Gunzel marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Tyler
Tyler added it
Apr 10, 2015
Niloofar Haidari
Niloofar Haidari marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Zach
Zach is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2015
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
  • Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies
  • Yoga For Dummies
  • Logic For Dummies (For Dummies (Math & Science))
  • Fitness for Dummies
  • Cooking For Dummies
  • Improving Your Memory for Dummies
  • Copyediting & Proofreading for Dummies
  • Stress Management for Dummies.
  • Organizing for Dummies