Blank-133x176
Speed Reading for Dummies

Richard Sutz

Speed Reading for Dummies

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The fun and easy way to become a more efficient, effective reader!Want to read faster -- and recall more of what you read? This practical, hands-on guide gives you the techniques you need to increase your reading speed and retention, whether you're reading books, e-mails, magazines, or even technical journals! You'll find reading aids and plenty of exercises to help you re...more
Published July 28th 2009 by For Dummies

To ask other readers questions about Speed Reading for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speed Reading for Dummies

Armand
The author forgot to include the word count of the stories, which is a large factor of calculating your reading rate. Unless you want to individually count every word, I'd suggest going with a different speed reading book. Great ideas, just a huge blunder.
Sam Stone
Dec 05, 2011 Sam Stone is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Man this book is taking me forever!
¤Leila | The Fiction Pixie¤
As a slow reader, I have been distraught over the pace of my reading. With limited time in a busy life, I picked this book up hoping to achieve more reading progress in a smaller amount of time. This book has some brilliant techniques and stretched the periphreial vision of your eyes to take in more words in a single glace. It trains your eyes and gives your focus an intense workout. But generally this book is incomplete. A major focus of this book is your WPM reading skills. Almost every exceri...more
Janne Järvinen
A very good source of information on speed reading and reading in general. All the concepts are explained very clearly, and are easy to pick up. This is probably one of the most user-friendly guides on the subject.

The actual exercises are flawed, though. There are many points where you are asked to calculate words-per-minute for texts without knowing the word count. There are also many many points where I could answer most of the comprehension questions even without reading the text at all.

So, i...more
Tom
It was an interesting concept, but It didn't help me read any faster.
Jia Yuan
Simple and easy to follow techniques are taught in this book. Guidance is provided for, one will have to practice to attain this skill :)

I liked how we are taught to break lines into imaginary columns and read these columns as word clumps/groups.
April
I learned a few new techniques; the eye exercises chapter was especially new to me. However, there is a lot of repetition of ideas (vocalization is discussed far more than necessary). Most of this could probably be boiled down to a short article.
Ariadna73
It is not a total waste of time. Has some interesting exercises; and good advice on how to fish for information. The only thing I didn't enjoy is that -having read an electronic version- it was difficult for me to follow the exercises.
Tasneem
DNF at 180\274 page
I think book is not that useful for helping me to increase my writing speed
I don`t think that I will finish it or may I will but not in the near future
Mohamed Helmy
A simplified book about the commonest techniques of spped reading, I haven't mastered all of the techniques to be a real speed reader, but the book was useful anyway.
Jefferson F
This is a quick read.... lol. Great book if you feel the need to increase your reading comprehension and reading speed.
Badr Al Badr
An important skill to revive. The book seemed too wordy but very helpful for beginners.
Xavier
1.) Stop subvocalisation and regression. 2.) A bigger vocabulary and practice helps.
Miguel Vargas
This is an amazing book. I hope it helps me to be a good-reader.
Kelly
It's quite helpful but it takes time to become an advanced readers:)
Chris Miller
Good introduction to the concept of speed reading.
Rese
Nothing I didn't already know about speed reading.
Sean Pinto
Sean Pinto is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2014
Sergio
Sergio added it
Aug 21, 2014
Pradeep
Pradeep is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2014
Emanuel Darby
Emanuel Darby marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Domo
Domo marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Axel Johansson
Axel Johansson marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Flisan Granberg
Flisan Granberg marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Dang
Dang marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014