Start by marking “Notorious” as Want to Read:
Notorious

Notorious (Melanie Vargas #4)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  20 reviews
About to take a controversial rap star to trial for a past crime, Melanie Vargas receives an important piece of information from his lawyer. In full confidence, on the steps of New York City's federal courthouse, he tells her that his client may have had ties to a wanted fugitive. Moments later, a powerful car bomb blows the man to pieces, with Melanie only steps away.

As s...more
Published February 26th 2008 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Notorious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notorious

Stefan Yates
Notorious is an entertaining legal-centered mystery focusing on prosecuting attorney Melanie Vargas. When the lead defense attorney for rap artist Atari Briggs is assassinated, Melanie vows to bring the assassins to justice along with convicting Briggs on the murder charges that he faces from his life on the streets before becoming a star.

The plot of the book mainly focuses on Melanie's investigations and subsequent witness interviews and periodic court hearings. There is more than enough to ke...more
Sean Evans
This book is a cross between a thriller and "chick-lit" but doesn't seem to pull off either terribly well. It doesn't have enough brains and suspense to be a satisfying thriller and has too much to be just a trashy brain-off novel. The author also seems to feel that the best way to wrap up plot lines is by killing off the charachters. Yet none of the characters who are killed are developed deeply enough that you feel any real emotion over them. Most of the characters feel like stereotypes to me....more
Zulmara
Notorious
By Michelle Martinez

Reviewed by Zulmara Cline

Michelle Martinez, a former Legal prosecutor from New York, writes wonderful legal thrillers starring Latina protagonist, Melanie Vargas. Melanie is everyone's mother, daughter, ex-wife, and girlfriend, and yet, she is like no one we have ever met before. The skill with which Michelle is able to weave a tale with a Latina protagonist that avoids stereotypes and pigeonholing is masterful. Melanie is a ch...more
Elaine
This was one of the books my sister sent me for Christmas is a big box of books. I had never heard of Michelle Martinez. This is her fourth novel. Michelle was a graduate of Harvard University and Stanford Law School and was a federal prosecutor in New Your City for eight years. This crime novel features Melanie Vargas a tough, sexy, smart federal prosecutor in NYC who gets involved with a case of a famous rap star.
She gets tangled up in several murders and in a lawyer who is not what he seems....more
Rod Allmon
Martinez clearly knows her milieu. She writes from experience which helps her develop strong characters. The plot was true to life but a little clunky. It was still a decent read although if I could give it two and a half stars I would. Why? The ending tied things up to neatly and easily as well as letting one of the characters completely off the hook. Wait. That is how life is sometimes, you know, that weasel of coworker who gets away with murder but doesn't have to do anything but blow smoke u...more
J. Ewbank
This is a good and enjoyable read. A female lawyer ready to prosecute a man finds out that the man may have ties to a fugitive. The man is blown up right in front of her. She has a history with the man and realizes that she does not really know him well. She determines to pursue his death and therein lies the rest of the story.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Aurora
Good read - non-stop action, was a page turner for me. Not much into legal story-lines but this wasn't detailed legal, just enough to be realistic and not heavy on the rap story line either (that's a good thing) which was my worry. The author is a former lawyer and uses that knowledge quite well for her storyline along with current news of the times (terrorism, drugs and celebrities, etc.).
Patty
About to bring a famous rap star to trial for murder, Melanie Vargas becomes the sole witness when a car bomb kills the rapper's lawyer. Her career and her safety are on the line, but so is her heart. A lot of people wanted him dead, and as Melanie zeroes in on the answer, she finds she can't trust anybody -- not even those closest to her.
Catherine  Mustread
May 31, 2009 Catherine Mustread rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Catherine by: Hispanic Book Club
Shelves: mystery
Hispanic Book Club - Las Comadres' Book Pick for March, 2009. Similar to Linda Fairstein, both set in NYC with high level women lawyers working closely with law enforcement.
Stephanie
It was OK. What my friend Martha would call a "one-night stand." - pure escapist, strong female protagonist which I like, I'd read another of this author's...esp on vacation when I want something to breeze through.
Kim Yauchzee
Not bad. I like this author and he novels but this one lacked something. All of the loose ends were tied up way too easily in the end but the plot did keep me going.
Emily
Enjoyable tale with mystery elements. Follows the legal world (prosecutors/govt agents and defense teams) related to a high-profile celebrity trial.
Angela Monaco
Really disappointing. I was a huge fan of the other three books. Glad I checked it out from the library instead of buying it.
Edb
A pretty good read about a drug dealer and his attorney involved in murder and mayhem.
Lisa
Thought it was okay in beginning but then got bored and never finished it.
Denise
Holly
Liked this enough to start at the beginning of the series
Nancy Anderson
Had 2 slog thru this..won't read any more by
this author.
Alma Garcia
loved it!
Kristen M
Kristen M marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Lawanda Mckenzie
Lawanda Mckenzie marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Faith
Faith marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
132035
Michele Martinez is an author and a former federal prosecutor in New York City.
More about Michele Martinez...
Most Wanted The Finishing School Cover-up Elizabeth Barrett Browning's Aurora Leigh: A Reading Guide Cover-Up