Start by marking “Notorious” as Want to Read:

Notorious (Melanie Vargas #4)

About to take a controversial rap star to trial for a past crime, Melanie Vargas receives an important piece of information from his lawyer. In full confidence, on the steps of New York City's federal courthouse, he tells her that his client may have had ties to a wanted fugitive. Moments later, a powerful car bomb blows the man to pieces, with Melanie only steps away.

As s
Published February 26th 2008 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Notorious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notorious

Angela Monaco
Mar 08, 2008 Angela Monaco rated it it was ok
Really disappointing. I was a huge fan of the other three books. Glad I checked it out from the library instead of buying it.
Apr 18, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was ok
It was OK. What my friend Martha would call a "one-night stand." - pure escapist, strong female protagonist which I like, I'd read another of this author's...esp on vacation when I want something to breeze through.
Sherrie rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2008
Jul 09, 2008 Patty rated it really liked it
About to bring a famous rap star to trial for murder, Melanie Vargas becomes the sole witness when a car bomb kills the rapper's lawyer. Her career and her safety are on the line, but so is her heart. A lot of people wanted him dead, and as Melanie zeroes in on the answer, she finds she can't trust anybody -- not even those closest to her.
Jan rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2008
Aug 27, 2008 Emily rated it liked it
Enjoyable tale with mystery elements. Follows the legal world (prosecutors/govt agents and defense teams) related to a high-profile celebrity trial.
Rod Allmon
Dec 12, 2008 Rod Allmon rated it liked it
Martinez clearly knows her milieu. She writes from experience which helps her develop strong characters. The plot was true to life but a little clunky. It was still a decent read although if I could give it two and a half stars I would. Why? The ending tied things up to neatly and easily as well as letting one of the characters completely off the hook. Wait. That is how life is sometimes, you know, that weasel of coworker who gets away with murder but doesn't have to do anything but blow smoke u ...more
Amy rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2009
Jun 08, 2009 Aurora rated it really liked it
Good read - non-stop action, was a page turner for me. Not much into legal story-lines but this wasn't detailed legal, just enough to be realistic and not heavy on the rap story line either (that's a good thing) which was my worry. The author is a former lawyer and uses that knowledge quite well for her storyline along with current news of the times (terrorism, drugs and celebrities, etc.).
Catherine  Mustread
May 31, 2009 Catherine Mustread rated it really liked it
Recommended to Catherine by: Hispanic Book Club
Shelves: mystery
Hispanic Book Club - Las Comadres' Book Pick for March, 2009. Similar to Linda Fairstein, both set in NYC with high level women lawyers working closely with law enforcement.
Aug 04, 2009 Ellen rated it really liked it
Melaine Vargas #4
Siela rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2009
Sean Evans
This book is a cross between a thriller and "chick-lit" but doesn't seem to pull off either terribly well. It doesn't have enough brains and suspense to be a satisfying thriller and has too much to be just a trashy brain-off novel. The author also seems to feel that the best way to wrap up plot lines is by killing off the charachters. Yet none of the characters who are killed are developed deeply enough that you feel any real emotion over them. Most of the characters feel like stereotypes to me. ...more
J. Ewbank
May 08, 2010 J. Ewbank rated it it was amazing
This is a good and enjoyable read. A female lawyer ready to prosecute a man finds out that the man may have ties to a fugitive. The man is blown up right in front of her. She has a history with the man and realizes that she does not really know him well. She determines to pursue his death and therein lies the rest of the story.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
May 19, 2010 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the books my sister sent me for Christmas is a big box of books. I had never heard of Michelle Martinez. This is her fourth novel. Michelle was a graduate of Harvard University and Stanford Law School and was a federal prosecutor in New Your City for eight years. This crime novel features Melanie Vargas a tough, sexy, smart federal prosecutor in NYC who gets involved with a case of a famous rap star.
She gets tangled up in several murders and in a lawyer who is not what he seems.
Jun 09, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it
Diane Octaviano
Diane Octaviano rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Zulmara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By Michelle Martinez

Reviewed by Zulmara Cline

Michelle Martinez, a former Legal prosecutor from New York, writes wonderful legal thrillers starring Latina protagonist, Melanie Vargas. Melanie is everyone's mother, daughter, ex-wife, and girlfriend, and yet, she is like no one we have ever met before. The skill with which Michelle is able to weave a tale with a Latina protagonist that avoids stereotypes and pigeonholing is masterful. Melanie is a ch
Jill Wilch
Jill Wilch rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2010
Kim Yauchzee
Not bad. I like this author and he novels but this one lacked something. All of the loose ends were tied up way too easily in the end but the plot did keep me going.
Alma Garcia
loved it!
Stefan Yates
May 16, 2012 Stefan Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Notorious is an entertaining legal-centered mystery focusing on prosecuting attorney Melanie Vargas. When the lead defense attorney for rap artist Atari Briggs is assassinated, Melanie vows to bring the assassins to justice along with convicting Briggs on the murder charges that he faces from his life on the streets before becoming a star.

The plot of the book mainly focuses on Melanie's investigations and subsequent witness interviews and periodic court hearings. There is more than enough to ke
Carly Tinkler
Carly Tinkler rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2012
Quillracer rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2012
Katie rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Aggrey Sambay
Found this book in a garbage room disowned by the previous owner and it became my treasure after I finished reading it. Page tuner.
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2015
Sandy rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2015
Yolanda rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Aug 05, 2016 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm being kind giving this book 3 stars. This prosecutor "Melanie Vargas" bumbles through her investigations of who killed her friend, possible love interest, and mentor..and the only reason she still has a job is because of friendship with the judge and people around her.
When info kept leaking she never thought about "who's new in the office" who hasn't proven themselves. So she lets herself be sent off to a wild goose chase in Vegas..
Her boss had to show her inconsistencies in information thi
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • A Vintage Murder (A Wine Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • All Shots (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #18)
  • Houston, We Have a Problema
  • Hot Tamara
  • The Accidental Santera: A Novel
  • Las Mamis: Favorite Latino Authors Remember Their Mothers
  • Good-bye To All That: A Novel
  • Dancing With Butterflies
  • Honey Blonde Chica
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents The Prosecution Rests: New Stories about Courtrooms, Criminals, and the Law
  • And After That, the Dark
  • The Darkness Gathers (Lydia Strong, #2)
  • Bitch Factor
  • Real Women Have Curves
  • Mouth to Mouth
  • The Secret Footprints
  • The Mystery of Silas Finklebean (Freddy and the French Fries, #2)
  • Hasta la Vista, Lola!
Michele Martinez is an author and a former federal prosecutor in New York City.
More about Michele Martinez...

Melanie Vargas (4 books)