Start by marking “The No Complaining Rule: Positive Ways to Deal with Negativity at Work” as Want to Read:
The No Complaining Rule: Positive Ways to Deal with Negativity at Work

The No Complaining Rule: Positive Ways to Deal with Negativity at Work

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  893 ratings  ·  112 reviews
Negativity in the workplace costs businesses billions of dollars and impacts the morale, productivity and health of individuals and teams. "In "The No Complaining Rule: Positive Ways to Deal with Negativity at Work," Jon Gordon, a bestselling author, consultant and speaker, shares an enlightening story that demonstrates how you can conquer negativity and inspire others to ...more
Published September 15th 2008 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The No Complaining Rule, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The No Complaining Rule

pri
It definitely did read a bit like an after school special - I could even imagine the accompanying music. And towards the end I did feel very 'blah blah syrup syrup' THE END. BUT - the principle is marvelous. That workplaces lose efficiency due to mindless complaining and that being able to foster and grow a more positive environment was crucial to success. Love the idea, which can be summed up in the quote below, but didn't like the fable way it was shared.

quote:
Employees are not allowed to min
Ashley
This is a light and insubstantial little book that tells us what we all probably already know: positivity breeds a better work environment. The book presents a quick action plan to weed out negativity in the work place. I'll save you the cheesy (and at times really sexist) novella: 1: understand the cost of negativity, 2: understand the no complaining rule, 3: define justified complaining vs mindless, 4: identify your complaint/solution process, 5: act on that process, 6: celebrate successes, 7: ...more
Elizabeth
The No Complaining Rule  Positive Ways to Deal with Negativity at Work by Jon Gordon

My book club selected this book after a manager at our company recommended it. To be clear, we picked it as a joke. I went in thinking I'd give it a good skim and a chuckle. I was wrong. This book sucked me in immediately because of HOW COMPLETELY TERRIBLE IT IS. I had to continue reading for entertainment. Allow me to share with you some of my favorite worst passages in this atrocious excuse for a book.

Exhibit A: Some fantastically awful character descriptions:
"He was a fast-talking northeast
GoldenjoyBazyll
Hi Guys!

One of you…. You know who you are…. Shared a VERY inspirational book with me today that I was compelled to share with all of you. It is called The No Complaining Rule by Jon Gordon. It is a story about a woman who has lots of things going amiss in her life- we all have that number right! ;) Anyhow…. At work things heat up and simultaneously she finds out that she needs to go to the hospital for some important tests because she might have breast cancer. What could be worse???? She is angr
Kesha
My children and I have implemented the no complaining rule for one week. We are on day three. Gordon's quick reads are life-changing. In the same fashion as The Energy Bus, the no complaining rule gives meaningful, easy tips to add positive change to your life immediately.
Amanda
I feel like this author did some meaningful research, came up with useful strategies, and then realized that books are supposed to be more than three pages. Seriously, this is a very simple suggestion to live life more positively buried in an absurdly cheesy story.
Peyton
I like the concepts, but they get bogged down by the goofy "story" that frames them. The next time I think a professional book needs to be more narrative and less didactic, I'll remember this one and count my blessings.
Ryan Dejonghe
I’m not sure how I feel about business books told in parable form. GETTING TO IT was one of my favorite personal success books from last year felt so much better to me than an equally good in concept book by the same authors called JUGGLING ELEPHANTS. The point is, there’s good material in THE NO COMPLAINING RULE, but I’m not sure telling a book-long parable is the most effective delivery system.

As far as the content of the book—it’s great. I’m walking away from this with several ideas to implem
Brenda Charneski
It's possible to turn negative behavior in to postive actions, but it needs to happen from the top down.
Shonna Froebel
This short but good book talks about ways to deal with negative energy and attitudes, not just in the workplace, but also in life in general.
Using a fictional situation, the book follows an HR director of a company dealing with problems that can be traced back to negative attitudes at work. The company must find a way of dealing with the current situation and ensuring that the employees engage in more positive actions and attitudes.
In her personal life the HR director, aptly named Hope, is also
Cathy Allen
We all need more "Positive Ways to Deal with Negativity at Work." Sometimes we are the center of negativity ourselves and sometimes we have a co-worker who is. Either way, this book is a strong contribution to the self-help literature. Writing fable-style, with a lead character whose personal and professional life is headed south, Gordon gives us a way to connect our own situations with his master thesis. Chronic venting is not productive... it creates a downward spiral of negativity that makes ...more
Loy Machedo

Of all the years, first as an employee and then as a professional trainer and speaker, I have never come across any company that had its employees & employers not complain about each other.
Almost every company has this problem. Not just company. Every family, every relationship and everyone else.
In fact you don’t have to go very far.
If you have anyone that closely resembles anything like me (apart from all the ink all over my body) working in your company, it would be highly profitable fo
Andy Shuping
Are you a chronic complainer? Take a look at your life and think...how do you spend most of your time talking to people? And when you complain do you offer suggestions for ways to improve it? This is the premise behind this book and a plan to reduce complaints, not only at work, but in the rest of your life as well. And before you get in a tizzy, no complaining isn't necessarily wrong. But, when it starts consuming your life perhaps its a chance to step back. And if at work that's all you hear, ...more
Lnlisa
Hope, the head of HR at her company, comes in to work feeling like she's been hit by a bus and finds that her company is in a panic. Production problems combined with snarky bloggers have made national news. For almost a year, she's been wallowing in self-pity and misery because of personal problems, but with her company now in crisis mode, her CEO tells her she needs to step-up. She struggles to find answers to the problems she and her company face.

I downloaded this as an audiobook from Audible
Rick
I just finished this book and it is marvelous. I have heard of the Complaint Free World concept and actually have the purple wristband. This book is NOT affiliated with the above mentioned organization, but does acknowledge them in the book.

The concept is simple, stop complaining for one day. Use resources such as when you think of a complaint add a but. For example: The mechanics are taking much too long to fix my car...but I should be happy it can be fixed. You can focus on get to instead of
Alea
The No Complaining Rule could be considered a self-help book. Though the way the information is presented brings it into an entirely new category.

The No Complaining Rule is told as a story. The story of Hope, Vice President of Human Resources at a computer company. The story starts out with Hope going through some person problems, she comes into work to find out the company is also experiencing some problems. Her boss, Dan leaves it up to Hope to help them find their way out of this mess, speci
Gabby
While nothing in this book is earth-shattering, it is a good reminder to stop complaining and to think positively.

I also like that it is told in a story format, instead of just some boring person telling you why we complain and what to do to rectify it.

Also, the techniques mentioned to go from complaining to thinking about complaining to turning it to fully being about no complaining are useful. I also like that it tells us that no matter what, we're always going to complain.

I think the easiest
James
People who don't like parables probably won't like this, but will be missing out on some really important thoughts and lessons on group culture. There were some great take aways about focusing on what to do about the things you want to complain about, creating ways that people can get feedback to the top instead of just feeling powerless and complaining instead which kills morale, and identifying when a complaint has no fruitful value for improvement.
André Gomes
Complaining serves little purpose, hurts and kills productivity and moral.

One negative person can create a miserable environment for everyone else.

Complaining and negative emotions are associated with decreased life span, fewer friends, increased risk of heart attack, more stress and no success.

Do not complain to anyone other then your supervisor/management and be prepared to give a solution to that which you complain about! It's not that you should ignore things that are wrong or not working, b
Stacey
Nov 30, 2011 Stacey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stacey by: Mary Thornton
Shelves: community
I think this book was written for the business world, but is highly applicable to any group of people, including family. I think this would be great to incorporate into the spring play. We could have a no complaining rule, anyone who is caught complaining will put 10,000 rupes into a jar--we could choose together what that jar would benefit. But I think the most important part of this rule is the opportunity to voice felt problems, and know you will be heard. It just has to be voiced to the righ ...more
Darrell
The story is a bit weak but easy to read. The principles found here are rock solid though. Can I recommend this book? Absolutely. For the experienced reader, this book could be read in a day or two. But the material presented needs to soak in because it has merits beyond the actual storyline. Jon Gordon's message needs to be heard and taken to heart.
Kara Larson
Simple read in a story-like format. This was given to me by my manager during a particularly negative time at work, and I plan to implement these principles with my clinic unit staff.

2 Reasons People Complain
1. They feel fearful and helpless.
2. It is a habit.

3 No Complaining Tools
1. The But _____ Positive Technique
2. Focus on "Get to" instead of "Have to"
3. Turn Complaints into solutions.

"One person can't make the team, but one person can break a team."

5 Things to Do Instead of Complain
1. Pract
Ramon
Every once in a while, a book comes out that is simultaneously impossible, and yet, so simple. This is that book. Gordon won't change your life with this book, but he does offer some helpful and realistic suggestions to combat negativity in the workplace. This book reinforces the concept that we get what we focus on and it is practical.
Jennifer Craig
An easy workplace read told in parable form. Negativity can poison an office or mood. This book not only inspires us to do something about negativity in the workplace but offers some practical suggestions to get us started. It's not earth shattering or new information, but it does a good job of making some simple, yet profound points.
Whitney Kelley
As far as work culture reading selections, it was a bit airy and lightweight in both the tone and the narrative approach. And that may give its readers an excuse to dismiss its message. That being said, I think the principles put forth have the potential to be profoundly influential if followed and pursued with integrity.
Nathan Smith
A great, ease, quick read! A very simple principle, but spot on. I see how the principles in this book are effective at my work, and can see how better implementing them will surely improve the teamwork and culture at the company I work for!

Everyone should be aware of and seek to abide by the principles of the No Complaining Rule.
Alyse
My boss gave me this book to read and she wants the two of us to start the "No Complaining Week". The idea behind the book is good: Positive thoughts lead to postive outcomes. Complaining and being negataive is a cancer in life, organizations and teams. True, but not very orginial.

The book is poorly written using the character "Hope" to explain the ideas. The "No Complaining Rule" solves her problem at work, reunites her with her teenage kids, helps her through cancer, and allows her to fully re
a quick read with some great ideas that are easy to implement. Being around positive people and work places is definitely inspiring and soo much more enjoyable.
love the idea of a no complaining rule....gonna try it out for a day...then another....
Jonathan Stefanopoulos
It was a decent book and my first book I read by John Gordon. I wasn't too impressed but I've heard a lot of good things so I'll try another book. The No Complaining Rule had good concepts and strategies but didn't get as much as I'd hope from it.
Meghan
I absolutely love the fact that this book delivered its message by telling a story! I could really relate to Hope and felt like I could more easily understand the concept of the "No Complaining Rule" because I learned about it along with her.

I think the idea of the No Complaining Rule is something I can implement in my daily life but I actually look forward to working on the 5 things to do INSTEAD of complain even more!

This was a quick read but the message stuck with me, so even though it only t
  • Voyage of a Viking
  • LIFE
  • Peaks and Valleys: Making Good And Bad Times Work For You--At Work And In Life
  • The Coming Aristocracy
  • Outstanding!: 47 Ways to Make Your Organization Exceptional
  • The Difference Maker: Making Your Attitude Your Greatest Asset
  • Resolved: 13 Resolutions for LIFE
  • The Compassionate Samurai: Being Extraordinary in an Ordinary World
  • Attitude Is Everything: Change Your Attitude...and You Change Your Life!
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • Whale Done!: The Power of Positive Relationships
  • Toughen Up!
  • Business for the Glory of God: The Bible's Teaching on the Moral Goodness of Business
Jon Gordon is an American business consultant and author on the topics of leadership, culture, sales, and teamwork.

Jon Gordon's best-selling books and talks have inspired readers and audiences around the world. His principles have been put to the test by numerous NFL, NBA, and college coaches and teams, Fortune 500 companies, school districts, hospitals and non-profits. He is the author of The Wal
More about Jon Gordon...
The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else The Seed: Finding Purpose and Happiness in Life and Work The Positive Dog Soup: A Recipe to Nourish Your Team and Culture

“One negative person can create a miserable office environment for everyone else.” 1 likes